Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, May 2, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2007

      Wednesday, May 2,2007

      Our Home Page

      Hey everyone, I hope your week is going well! Did I forget to tell you spring is in the air? I absolutely love springtime in Michigan! Beautiful skies of blue with big, cotton candy clouds, just lazing around! Rolling hills of brand new green grass, budding trees, blooming flowers, the smell of grilling in the air....ahhh spring! The bad thing is spring doesn't last nearly long enough, so get going! Take in a big breath of fresh air, go for a little stroll, watch the birds playing and listen to the frogs singing in the pond! In a blink it will all change, so enjoy it while you can!

      Check This Out!

      A new quilt pattern from Linda Sherony of Follow Your Heart called,
      You Can Sew Quilt!

      Who can sew? You can sew using Linda's quilt as you go process! With this technique, you are always working on the outer edges of your quilt, because the middle has already been quilted! This means no bulk and no tiring handwork! This pattern uses 40 fat quarters to construct the front, back and binding, with the finished size being 57 x 76! When it comes to easy and fun, you can't beat the You Can Sew Quilt pattern!

      What's On Sale?

      With postage rates rising, now is a good time to take advantage of this special! For the next 2 weeks, when you order $50 or more of merchandise, your s/h charge will be $1.99. So check your stock and see what you need, because now is a great time to save money on your s/h!
      We apologize, but this offer good for shipping within the US only.
      PLEASE NOTE: Shipping specials will not show on the shopping cart, they will be adjusted in the office at the time of processing!

      Monthly Sale

      Complete your View-N-Do Shape Set, any shape $12!

      Kaye's View-N-Do line comes in 5 popular shapes; hexagon, octagon, circle, heart and a diamond! Each shape has 4 removable pieces which allow you to make the shape in 2, 4, 6 and 8 inch sized pieces! Great for fussy cutting, each template allows you to view your fabric in a multitude of shapes and sizes, before you even cut it! No guess work involved, because you will know how it looks before you take a snip! Also, they nest inside each other, so you don't have to worry about losing one! Hard enough for rotary cutting, you'll find yourself using your shapes in a multitude of ways from sewing and quilting, to scrap booking and many other crafts! So check your stock and see which shape or shapes you need, to complete or start, your set! At $5 off each shape, it couldn't be a better time to do it, so order today!

      Share With Us!

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would like to hear about them. Just e-mail it to me at the address below and it will find a place in our newsletter!

      1) If you want to avoid tangles and pesky little knots in your thread, just run your needle and thread through a new dryer sheet. If you fold it, you can get both sides. I promise, your thread will behave! Pamela, MS

      2) I love making pot holders quilted of kitchen pattern material. I use fruit or kitchen prints and trim them with cotton eyelet lace!

      3) This isn't a tip but a question. Is there any kind of chart or guideline as to how many blocks you need for certain sized quilts, etc? Marty, NY

      About once or twice a year we get this question. Here's a couple of charts I hope will help you out.

      Twin Size
      Full Size Quilt
      Queen Size Quilt
      King Size Quilt
      Block Size
      Total Blocks
      Block Size
      Total Blocks
      Block Size
      Total Blocks
      Block Size
      Total Blocks

      Here is a fat quarter chart that might help also!
      1 Fat quarter equals 18" x 22"

      Block Size
      Total Blocks
      2 1/2"
      3 1/2"
      Block Size
      Total Blocks
      4 1/2"
      5 1/2"
      6 "
      6 1/2"

      Our all new catalog is ready for you to download! Just go here:

      Help Ami Simms and fellow quilters, fight Alzheimer's!

      "Alzheimer's: Forgetting Piece by Piece", is an exhibit of 52 quilts, made by artists from around the country and abroad! This exhibit has been seen by more then 100,000 people since it began touring the US in August 2006. Finally, a book about this amazing exhibit is about to be published!

      In this book, each of the 52 quilts are shown in full color photos. Each artist has details to go with their quilt and there is info about Alzheimer's disease. Everyone who purchases a copy of Alzheimer's: Forgetting Piece by Piece, will be helping to find a cure for this horrible disease. All profit from the sale of this book, will be used to fund Alzheimer's research! Especially for anyone who has dealt with this horrible disease first hand, this is a must have book. These are quilts of heartbreak and hope that will touch your heart. For more information about this worthy cause and to pre-order a copy of this book, just click the link below.

      Show & Tell

      Here are more beautiful quilts for you to check out, from our readers! Thanks to all of you that submit and share your quilts and stories with us! I know everyone enjoys them as much as I do!

      I began quilting in Sept. 06, by reading several books and watching Kaye's shows. After making several small projects, pillows, wall hangings, sofa toppers and table runners, I decided to make a quilt for my daughter's room! My 2 1/2 yr. old daughter Kimberly, has a room with butterflies and flowers for the theme. I tried to match the fabrics to the border and colors in her room. I also made it oversized, 86 x 97, so she can snuggle up with it and it can grow with her! Trisha
      This is the first quilt I ever made, a Christmas Quilt! I learned to quilt a year ago, when I entered into a quilting group called, Peticelul Romanesc or Romanian Scrapp, the first and only one in my country! Quilting isn't too well known here in Romania yet. Thanks to my group, I learned to quilt and fell in love with patchwork and have made several of them since! This first quilt was the main gift for my husband on Christmas night, as a thanks for all of his support and love! As you say, "From my hands to his heart"! Teodora

      This is a king sized quilt I made for our Grandson's wedding that is coming in March! It is made up of 2 patterns, Chains and Mariner's Compass. Representing the intertwining of two souls, chains, with the directions of the compass as a guideline! It is pieced and quilted by machine. Barb, Indiana

      If you'd like to check out more wonderful quilts submitted by our readers, click the link.
      If you'd like to submit your quilt to our Show & Tell page, you can mail a non-returnable picture, along with the story about your quilt, to the address below. 50 words or less please. Your other option is to e-mail your picture and story to Terrye, at the e-mail address below. We'd love the chance to show off your work, so send them in!

      Come Cruise the Mediterranean with Kaye in 2007!
      Join Kaye Wood and Sew Many Places, for a great Mediterranean quilting cruise!

      Wordfind Results!

      What I love best about you, our readers, is your love of participation! No matter what I put in here, be it a puzzle, survey, etc., you always surprise me with the overwhelming responses! I think that is just fantastic and I send a big, huge, "thanks" to all of you that do!
      One more thing, I apologize to the few that had trouble accessing the puzzle, I'm not sure to be honest, why that happened. Terrye is trying to figure that all out as we speak.
      The hidden words in our puzzle were, "Kaye Wood rocks"! Tons of people wrote back with Kaye Wood, but the "rocks" threw a bunch of you off. Still in all, we did have just as many that did get the whole thing! Due to the many responses though, we ended up awarding a prize to 15 people instead of 10 as I said in last weeks letter! Each of our lucky winners received a View-N-Do Heart shape and a Springtime Hearts pattern by our own Kaye Wood! Thanks again to all who participated! Here is a list of our winners!

      Melody H.
      Byron Center, MI
      Pam R.
      Bladwyn, MS
      Jean H.
      Ellettsville, IN
      Jan D.
      Wichita, KS
      Trisha K.
      Parkville, MD
      Lonnie L.
      Sandy S.
      Lakeland, FL
      Dawn B.
      Dorr, MI
      Tom C.
      Bel Air, MD
      Jean C.
      Hugo, MN
      Leslie S.
      North Bend, WA
      Bonnie P.
      Baltimore, MD
      Jeanne H.
      Hilham, TN
      Lori M.
      Collinsville, OK
      Denise L.
      Hudsonville, MI

      Our catalog is available online at anytime, 24/7! Convenient for you whenever you want to check things ou

      Kaye Wood, Inc.,
      PO Box 456, West Branch, MI 48661

      This message was sent to you because as a customer of Kaye's Quilting Friends, you previously indicated you would like to receive announcements of news, events and special promotions. To unsubscribe, click the link and send an e-mail to:

      West Branch, MI  48661

      Phone:  1_800_248_KAYE(5293)

      Website:  http://www.kayewood.com

      New: Watch Kaye's Quilting Friends on your computer! Just go to our home page.