Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Mar 28, 2007

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2007

      Wednesday, March 28, 2007

      Hey everyone! I hope your week is off to a great start! It's a really fine day here in Northern Michigan! Temps are in the low 70's, there is no more snow to speak of, and the birds are just a jabbering away! The sky is a beautiful blue, with clouds that are cottony thick, and ducks and geese are filling the air on their way back to the northland. If it wasn't for all the drabby brown foliage and mud, it'd be near perfect! But that's all right, soon enough the lawns will start to get a smattering of green that'll just keep on growing. The daffodils and tulips will start poking out their heads, and the trees will be budding with green leaves and apple blossoms! Ahh, spring! Go outside and take a deep breath! Wash all that stale, "I've been inside all winter" air out of your lungs, and try a short stroll! You'll be rejuvenated in no time!
      To download this newsletter, click the following link.

      Diamonds on the Prairie by Moonlight Design.

      Hey everyone! Check out this great pattern from our friends at Moonlight Design, called Diamonds on the Prairie! Easy to do, because you use your own sweatshirt with set-in sleeves, as the pattern and batting! This fabulous jacket features prairie points with beading, along with slimming pleats, to give you a great look! Glam it up or casual it down, you just can't miss with this unique jacket! Great for spring or those cool summer evenings, get your Diamonds on the Prairie now, because it is available for a limited time only!

      What's On Sale?

      This is your last week to get a gift for free!  Whenever you spend a total of $19.99 before your s/h, we will include in your order a free gift!  Now I can't tell you what your gift will be, but I can give you the hint that it was written by Kaye Wood!  Hmmm, no need to do anything to get this offer. We will automatically include your gift with any order of $19.99 or more!  So check out your supply and place your order today!

      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Monthly Sale!

      Buy any of Kaye's patterns in her pattern line and get 1 Pattern Tracing Fabric FREE!

      Kaye has a number of fabulous patterns now in her pattern line! When you order any of these patterns, you will receive 1 package of Pattern Tracing Fabric absolutely FREE! This is a savings value of $5!

      (Please note, only 1 package of PTF per order.)

      How does Pattern Tracing Fabric work? Draw the image on the PTF and sew it, right sides together with your fabric. Turn right sides out and applique the fabric to a backing with a blanket or blind hem stitch. Those turned over edges will not have the bulk or puckers they used to. Use it once and you'll want to use it on all of your appliqueed items!

      No need to do anything special, we will add this bonus onto your order at the time of processing!

      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Share With Us!

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would like to hear about them. Just e-mail it to me at the address below and it will find a place in our newsletter!
      mailto:joyce@...?subject=sharewithus

      1) I hand quilt for people who make their own tops and do lots of binding on quilts that people bring to me. I ALWAYS baste close to the edges of quilts I do, so the binding is easier to sew on without trouble with puckering. I wish all quilts that were brought to me prequilted were basted. I spend way too much time trying to get the layers together good enough to sew the binding on. Beth, WY

      2) Coffee is also good for your fridge if you must ship it. Clean the fridge, drip pan and freezer with bleach water, after it has come to room temperature, and air dry. Then put 3/4 can of loose coffee in the fridge and 1/4 in the freezer. When it arrives to its destination, you just vacuum the coffee and have no musty odor. Wet or dry coffee grounds are also good for your azaleas. Sandra P.

      3) Reading about the use of coffee grounds, here is one that I read in a Heloise column probably 25 years ago. When you make a pincushion, fill the insides with ground coffee. It's good for the needles and smells sooo good! Liz

      4) When I baste my quilt together, I use a contrasting color thread, so it is easier to get them out later. Sharon from MN.

      5) For all my "snipping needs" I use rounded tip, kids scissors. The blade is sharp enough to cut the thread, but with no sharp tip, it doesn't cut through the fabric. Helen, Prescott, AZ

      KAYEWOODTV.COM is here!

      New shows are being added to KAYEWOODTV.COM! Check out the Gracie Bag by Joan Hawley!

      Tell a friend, tell your guild, because KAYEWOODTV.COM is here! We are so happy to be able to bring this to all of our viewers! Read on for all of the info!

      We would like to invite you to sit back and enjoy the all new KAYEWOODTV.COM website. Here you will find exceptional TV programs, offering you a variety of quilting and sewing projects, for every skill level.
      Just click the link and watch Kaye's Quilting Friends show, streaming right from your computer! Programs are viewed best with a high speed connection.

      KAYEWOODTV.COM

      March 29th wraps up National Quilt Month, but take a look at Charity Quilt Day!

      To wrap up National Quilt Month, Judy Howard is designating March 29th as Charity Quilt Day! This is a campaign to raise awareness and funding, for the volunteer work of thousands of quilters, who provide quilts for those in need of the touch of God's love and comfort, that quilts represent.

      On March 29th, Judy is donating the net proceeds of Amazon sales for her books, Heavenly Patchwork I and II, Centennial Stitches-Oklahoma History in Quilts, along with companion DVDs, to non-profit organizations such as; The Hugs Project, ABC Quilts, Project Linus, Quilts for Injured Soldiers, Newborns in Need and many more, that provide charity quilts!

      Besides donating to charities, those who purchase Judy's books, will receive BONUS gifts valued at $135! Books such as the 6 Hour Quilt by Kaye Wood, plus patterns, tips and other books by renowned quilters.

      So please, join Judy and wrap those in need with quilts of love, through your purchase of Judy Howard's gift book and DVD's on Amazon, March 29th. For more info, check the links below.

      www.HeavenlyPatchwork.com and www.MySpace.com/nlsproductions

      Show & Tell

      Here are more beautiful quilts for you to check out, from our readers! Thanks to all of you that submit and share your quilts and stories with us! I know everyone enjoys them as much as I do!

      I was asked by 3 neighbor girls, ages 12-14, to help them sew some presents for Christmas. I dug through my pattern stash, frantic to find something quick and easy, but also beautiful for them to stitch up. That's when I remembered Kaye's Hexagon Stars pattern, that I purchased at the Novi, MI expo! For the 2 Sundays before Christmas, the girls spent a total of 6 hours and they each finished 2 of the 8 inch hexagon stars. They chose which fabrics for each section, from 2 different fabric lines, and we used Insul-bright batting. They used a decorative stitch for part of the quilting. It was a HUGE hit! The girls were thrilled with their ability to make the project, a real confidence builder! Their recipients were thrilled to get something beautiful and useful. I was so enthused by their excitement, that I made 13 of them on my own and gave them as gifts. They were so lightweight, that I was able to mail them to family and friends with ease. Lisa

      I have two granddaughters in college. Jenni below, who's a sophomore at Michigan State and Jamie, who's a junior at Ferris State. Each wanted a quilt with pictures of their favorite music stars, so I made each a unique t-shirt quilt. What a Grandma won't do!!! Pat

      When I saw this quilt on HGTV's Simply Quilts, I knew I had to make it for my daughters July 2006 wedding. It is a Diane Phelan pattern and is my first applique project. Mary Jane

      If you'd like to check out more wonderful quilts submitted by our readers, click the link.

      If you'd like to submit your quilt to our Show & Tell page, you can mail a non-returnable picture, along with the story about your quilt, to the address below. 50 words or less please. Your other option is to e-mail your picture and story to Terrye, at the e-mail address below. We'd love the chance to show off your work, so send them in!

      Kaye's next stop is in Paducah, KY!

      AQS-Paducah, KY
      April 25-29, 07
      http://www.americanquilter.com

      Come Cruise the Mediterranean with Kaye in 2007!
      Join Kaye Wood and Sew Many Places, for a great Mediterranean quilting cruise!
      http://www.sewmanyplaces.com

      Kaye Wood, Inc.,
      PO Box 456, West Branch, MI 48661

      This message was sent to you because as a customer of Kaye's Quilting Friends, you previously indicated you would like to receive announcements of news, events and special promotions. To unsubscribe, click the link and send an e-mail to:
      mailto:terrye@...?subject=unsub

      West Branch, MI  48661

      Phone:  1_800_248_KAYE(5293)

      Website:  http://www.kayewood.com

      New: Watch Kaye's Quilting Friends on your computer! Just go to our home page.