Kaye Wood's Quilting Newsletter, Wednesday, Feb 21, 2007

  • kincht
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2007

      Wednesday, February 21, 2007

      Hey everyone! I don't know if you noticed, other than by the mail
      not showing up, but Monday was President's Day. I'm not sure if this
      means a lot to a lot of people, but I was reading through a list of
      our past President's, and to tell the truth, some I just didn't
      remember from my schooling days. So, in honor of the men who have
      led our country, in good times and in bad, I'm going to trickle in a
      few of their quotes throughout the letter. Some are really quite
      inspiring. Take care, enjoy and have a great week!
      http://www.kayewood.com/newsletter.pdf

      "Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction."
      John F. Kennedy

      Check It Out!
      Mountain Springtime from Colorado Quilt Designs!
      Fat quarters, flowers and fun, are all you need to make this
      beautiful Mountain Springtime quilt! Guaranteed to perk up any place
      you put it, this beautiful quilt pattern comes with complete
      instructions for 2 different sized quilts. (71" x 71" or 83" x 83")
      Also included are the paper templates for the flower applique'. So
      bust out them fat quarters and burst into spring, with the Mountain
      Springtime quilt!

      "Do I not destroy my enemies, when I make them my friends?" Abraham
      Lincoln

      What's On Sale?
      Last week for 99 cent s/h on Twisted Sister!
      (US and Canada only)
      If you're looking for a quilt that's fun but unique, Ami Simms has
      the pattern for you! Twisted Sisters might look -complicated, but
      goes together quickly and easily. With complete step-by-step
      instructions, rotary template for precision cutting and piecing, and
      8 different step-by-step variations, your success is guaranteed! Use
      fat quarters, scraps or yard lengths, the choice is yours, but the
      hardest part will be stopping with just one! So break out of the
      norm and get a little twisted with Ami Simms, Twisted Sisters!
      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      "When you are in any contest you should work as if there were - to
      the very last minute - a chance to lose it." Dwight D. Eisenhower

      Monthly Special
      The month is winding down! Have you gotten your heart patterns yet?
      Valentine's Day is over but it doesn't mean you can't enjoy hearts!
      There's just a little time left to get Kaye's heart patterns on
      special! All you do is buy 1 and you can get another for half price!
      These patterns go hand in hand with Kaye's View & Do Heart template
      and come with instructions for wallhangings all the way up to king
      sized bed quilts! Plus, you know with Kaye's fantastic tips and
      techniques, your project will go effortlessly! So share the love, or
      maybe a pattern or two! Now is a great time to get the ones you
      don't have yet, when you buy 1 and get another 1/2 off!
      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      "Patriotism is easy to understand in America; it means looking out
      for yourself by looking out for your country." Calvin Coolidge

      Share With Us!
      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd
      like to share? We are always open to new things and would like to
      hear about them. Just e-mail it to me at the address below and it
      will find a place in our newsletter!
      mailto:joyce@...?subject=sharewithus

      1) I make and sell baby quilts. I tie them in each square, where the
      4 corners meet, with 2 strands of yarn. I was first doing this by
      making a hole with a thin awl, knowing this wasn't good for making
      holes in the fibers. So I started thinking about it and found a way
      that's faster and so much easier. I place the corners of each square
      section under my pressure foot, and then set my machine to "sew on
      button". I place the 2 strands of yarn under my pressure foot onto
      the finished blanket top, twisting the yarn in the center, so the
      needle jumps over the yarn, securing it to the squares intersection.
      I then cut my yarn, leaving a 3-4 inch tail, tie them in a double
      knot, then cut the tails of the yarn off. This is so much better and
      solid too. Washing the blankets does not make the yarn ties come
      off. I love your email news letter, a lot of great ideas. Thanks,
      Shirley E.

      2) I am interested in any tips people have, for getting out smoke
      smell from a house fire. The fabric is just fine but smells bad. So
      far the only tip I am aware of is to store them in a cupboard, with
      an open container of baking soda. Kenna H., Utah

      3) One must be very careful about using a color catcher sheet in
      your washer. It does catch the color that fades out, but it also
      removes color from your fabric. I would not use it unless it is
      absolutely necessary. It can dull colors. I've done it! J.

      4) I've experienced warped cutting mats too, when they've been left
      in a warm place. My husband was able to straighten the worst one,
      but several months later I discovered that the grid lines were no
      longer accurate. So if you have "redeemed" a warped mat, be sure to
      measure all those lines just to be sure they haven't gone astray.
      It's not always obvious at first glance, or even second.~~Darlene in
      Southern California

      "It is easier to do a job right than to explain why you didn't."
      Martin Van Buren

      KAYEWOODTV.COM is here!
      Tell a friend, tell your guild, because KAYEWOODTV.COM is here! We
      are so happy to be able to bring this to all of our viewers! Read on
      for all of the info!
      We would like to invite you to sit back and enjoy the all new
      KAYEWOODTV.COM website. Here you will find exceptional TV programs,
      offering you a variety of quilting and sewing projects, for every
      skill level.
      Just click the link and watch Kaye's Quilting Friends show,
      streaming right from your computer! Programs are viewed best with a
      high speed connection.
      KAYEWOODTV.COM

      "A man is not finished when he's defeated; he's finished when he
      quits." Richard Nixon

      Quilt Sayings
      I'm sorry if I have any repeaters. I try to keep these organized,
      but sometimes it's not easy!
      Love is the thread that binds us.
      May your sorrows be patched and your joys be quilted.
      May your bobbin always be full.
      Memories are stitched with love.
      Old quilters never die...they just go to pieces.
      Seamstresses never go crazy, they just stay on pins and needles.
      One quilting project, like one cookie, is never enough!

      "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." Thomas Jefferson

      Another great site to look at!
      www.gotyarn.com

      "America was not built on fear.America was built on courage, on
      imagination, and unbeatable determination to do the job at hand."
      Harry S. Truman

      Show & Tell
      If you'd like to check out wonderful quilts submitted by our
      readers, click the link.
      If you'd like to submit your quilt to our Show & Tell page, you can
      mail a non-returnable picture, along with the story about your
      quilt, to the address below. 50 words or less please. Your other
      option is to e-mail your picture and story to Terrye, at the e-mail
      address below. We'd love the chance to show off your work, so send
      them in!

      "Speak softly and carry a big stick." Teddy Roosevelt

      Upcoming Events
      Kaye would like to thank everyone who came out and helped make the
      Prescott, Arizona seminar such a big success! Kaye told us she had a
      wonderful time and met the best people there! Thanks again to
      everyone!
      Sewing Expo, Puyallup, WA
      March 1-4, 07
      http://www.sewexpo.com
      AQS-Paducah, KY
      April 25-29, 07
      http://www.americanquilter.com
      Come Cruise the Mediterranean with Kaye in 2007!
      Join Kaye Wood and Sew Many Places, for a great Mediterranean
      quilting cruise!
      http://www.sewmanyplaces.com

      "Double, no triple, our troubles and we'd still be better off than
      any other people on earth." Ronald Regan

      Our catalog is available online at anytime, 24/7! Convenient for you
      whenever you want to check things out!
      http://bbs.cartserver.com/bbs/a/8058/index.cgi

      "Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong."
      Calvin Coolidge

      Finale
      Well gang, I guess that's all for this week! Let us know if you need
      anything or if we can help you out in any way! From all of us at
      Kaye Wood Inc., keep smiling, keep loving and above all .......keep
      quilting!

      Kaye Wood, Inc.,
      PO Box 456, West Branch, MI 48661

      If you prefer to place your order by phone, you can call us toll-
      free at:

      This message was sent to you because as a customer of Kaye's
      Quilting Friends, you previously indicated you would like to receive
      announcements of news, events and special promotions. To
      unsubscribe, click the link and send an e-mail to:
      mailto:terrye@...?subject=unsub