Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2007
      Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter

      Kaye Wood's Quilting Newsletter

      Tuesday, January 9, 2007

      Hey everyone, I hope your week has been going good thus far!
      Well, it has finally happened. The snow fairy was here last night and blessed us or cursed us, depending on how you look at it. When I got out of bed, there was some snow on the ground. Not a lot mind you, but enough to tell you winter is still in the game! Now I have nothing against winter per say, but I have to admit I am saving money. A house takes a lot less gas to heat at 40 degrees versus 20 below! Plus, not heating my car for 20 minutes each morning, has been great and saved me a lot in gas! They say this could be a record year for heat you know. I'm sure by July, I'll be wishing for some of these snowflakes and making up for all I have saved this winter, by using fans and air conditioning! I'll keep looking for that happy medium! Take care all and we'll catch you next week!

      Check It Out!

      Check out yet another wonderful purse pattern from Joan Hawley and the Lazy Girl Designs Co.! Purse-Nickities is your 3 in 1 pattern! 1 pattern includes 3 different variations in the same pack, for 3 totally different looks in purses! Plus, your supply list remains the same no matter which purse you decide to make. These three zippin' sisters are wonderful and can be made from fat quarters, pre-quilted fabrics or a bunch of scraps. Nickie measures 6" x 12", Nickita is 3" x 4" x 9" and Nickole measures 7" x 12"! So fun, so easy, you'll want to make one of each! This pattern is available for a limited time, so order your Purse-Nickities today!

      Last week for this sale!

      This is the last week to get some overstock patterns from our, "Check It Out" series. Whether you order one or all four of these patterns, your s/h will be only $1.99! (prices adjusted in the office). This is the last time these patterns will be available to you and there are only a limited amount of them. Orders will be filled on a first come, first served basis, so order them now while they last!
      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Angelsong

      Towne Purse

      Whimsey Bag

      Sew On The Go

      Monthly Special
      Buy the book and get the tool 1/2 price!
      $2.99 s/h on these 2 items!

      Are you ready to Stack-n-Whack? Well, Bethany Reynolds is just the one to show you how! What is the Stack-n-Whack method? It is an easy way to create blocks with unique kaleidoscope designs. Rather than finding and cutting each piece individually, a quilter can cut and layer a number of large rectangles to make a stack. This makes a set of identical pieces that will create the kaleidoscope effect for one block, when the stack is cut! Sound easy? With Bethany's step-by-step instructions, you'll be stacking-n-whacking in no time! This book includes ideas for selecting your fabric, full supply lists, along with complete directions and charts, to make the 12 quilt patterns in this book. The beautiful pictures will inspire any quilter, with patterns for all skill levels. Some of the techniques include butterflies, fans, flowers, optical illusions and many more! When you order this book, you can also purchase the Stack-n-Whack 45 degree Triangle Tool for half price! This tool goes hand in hand with Bethany's Stack-n-Whackier book! Also, for this special only, when you order the book and tool, your s/h on these two items will be only $2.99! (US and Canada only, prices are adjusted in the office).That's a total savings of $11 on this package! So take out those quilting frustrations and stack-n-whack today!
      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Just a few of the beautiful quilts from the Stack-n-Whackier book.

      Let's Hear It For Kaye Wood!

      Kudos to you Kaye Wood! Kaye has just completed her 40th television series as hostess of Kaye's Quilting Friends! That's a remarkable 520 fun and inspiring programs, Kaye has brought to all of us in the past 20 years! Being one of the longest running quilting shows in the US, Kaye prides herself on teaching quick and easy tips and techniques, that you can value for a lifetime! From beginner to expert, you will always find a useful tip on Kaye's Quilting Friends! Kaye's all new series will be available beginning February 11th, 2007 on PBS stations throughout America! Check with your PBS station now to see if they air Kaye's Quilting Friends!
      http://www.pbs.org

      It's Here...It's Here...It's Here!!!

      Be the first on your block to enjoy the all new, KAYEWOODTV.COM!

      We are so proud and excited to be able to bring this to our readers and view ers! Read o n to find out more about Kayewoodt v .com!

      We would like to invite you to sit back and enjoy the all new KAYEWOODTV.COM website. Here you will find exceptional TV programs, offering you a wide variety of quilting and sewing projects, for every skill level.

      Just click the link and watch Kaye's Quilting Friends show, streaming right from your computer! Programs are viewed best with a high speed connection.

      KAYEWOODTV.COM

      Share With Us!

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would like to hear about them. Just e-mail it to me at the address below and it will find a place in our newsletter!
      mailto:joyce@...?subject=sharewithus

      Not being very organized, I found I always had to dig around to match my bobbin thread with my spool of thread. My friend suggested I take garbage bag ties and put one through the hole in both of them. One little twist and they are together whenever I need them! Saves me so much time and aggravation! Donna J., Wayland, MO

      After the holidays I go out and buy clearanced vinyl place mats. Believe it or not, they make great templates! Audrey B., San Francisco, CA

      When I read this tip, I thought for sure they were crazy, but it really did work! When your rotary cutter blade is getting dull, fold up aluminum foil till you have quite a few layers. Then, just cut through the foil several times and it will sharpen your blade! Laura P., Grand Rapids, MI

      When I'm threading a needle, I wet the eye of the needle, not the thread. If you do this, your thread will easily go through. Libby P., Salt Lake City, UT

       Show & Tell

      Here are more beautiful quilts for you to check out, from our readers! Thanks to all of you that submit and share your quilts and stories with us! I know everyone enjoys them as much as I do!

      This is a Christmas present for my best friend who is currently living in Mongolia. I think it should warm her heart and soul (although not perhaps the body in Mongolia) and remind her of home - the 'Wide Brown Land', the Sunburned Country! It is made from Australian Aboriginal fabrics and hand-dyed solids, to represent the colours of our country!

      Hello all from Australia! I am sending you a photo of the Rudolph wall quilt that I made for Christmas. The large pieces of appliqué were satin stitched with my new machine. The smaller pieces were hand done.  Rudolph is looking very worried as a bee has been attracted to his bright nose.

      The crazy cushion was decorated with hand stitching, beading and tatting pieces that I tatted myself. It represents many hours of pleasant work with my quilting group here in Brisbane, Queensland.  I hope the photos are suitable for your show and tell. I enjoy receiving my newsletters each month and seeing other members quilts. Kind regards, Joycelyn

      If you'd like to check out more wonderful quilts submitted by our readers, click the link.

      If you'd like to submit your quilt to our Show & Tell page, you can mail a non-returnable picture, along with the story about your quilt, to the address below. 50 words or less please. Your other option is to e-mail your picture and story to Terrye, at the e-mail address below. We'd love the chance to show off your work, so send them in!

      Attention: Quilters in the Prescott, Arizona area! Time is running out to join in this fun event!
      Alright people, now is the time to start making plans to attend this fantastic seminar with Kaye Wood! Buddy up, share rides, whatever it takes, because you won't want to miss out on this fun day with Kaye! Tickets are selling fast, so make that call and reserve your seat, while there are still seats to get!

      Lecture/Demo/Trunk Show by Kaye Wood
      Elks Opera House-Prescott, AZ
      February 16, 2007

      For ticket prices and additional information call: 1-800-248-5293

      Kaye is coming to your town and you won't want to miss the fun and excitement, as Kaye shows you how to "strip" the Kaye Wood way! Always informative, always entertaining, Kaye will have you in stitches with her lecture/demo! The date for the event is February 16, 2007 at the Elks Opera House in Prescott, Arizona! Space is limited, so get your group together and plan for a fun day with Kaye!

      Sewing Expo, Puyallup, WA
      March 1-4, 07
      http://www.sewexpo.com
      AQS-Paducah, KY
      April 25-29, 07
      http://www.americanquilter.com
      Come Cruise the Mediterranean with Kaye in 2007!
      Join Kaye Wood and Sew Many Places, for a great Mediterranean quilting cruise!
      http://www.sewmanyplaces.com

      Quilt Sayings

      Behind every sewer is a huge pile of fabric!
      Blessed are the piecemakers, for they shall quilt forever!
      Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts.
      Buttons and patches and the cold wind blowing...the days pass quickly when I am sewing!
      Count your blessings, stitch them one by one.
      Creative minds are rarely tidy.
      Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.
      Don't needle the seamstress!

      Ad-swap

      www.jodieandcompany.com

      http://bbs.cartserver.com/bbs/a/8058/index.cgi

      Kaye Wood, Inc.,
      PO Box 456, West Branch , MI 48661

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 19, 2007

        Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter

        Tuesday, June 19,2007

        Hey everyone! As you know this last Sunday was Father's Day. Did you know a woman named Sonora Dodd thought of the idea for Father's Day? Having been raised be her father after her mother died, she wanted her father to know how special he was to her. Sonora's father was born in June, so she chose to hold the very first Father's Day celebration in Spokane, WA on the 19th of June, 1910.

        In 1924 President Coolidge gave his support for a national day for fathers. Then in 1966, President Johnson signed a presidential proclamation declaring the 3rd Sunday of June as Father's Day. But it wasn't until 1972 however, that President Nixon signed the law, that finally made it a permanent holiday. Roses are the traditional Father's Day flower with red to be worn for a living father and white if the father has passed away.

        What constitutes as a father has changed over the years just like everything else. But to me, any man who makes a difference for the better in your families lives, should be honored. Stepfathers, uncles, brothers, grandfathers or even a special friend, are all people to be considered. So I hope you all took the time to honor the special men in your life.
        To download this newsletter, click the following link.

        The all new ABC Blocks Pattern by Kaye Wood!

        Here is the latest pattern by Kaye Wood called the ABC Blocks Pattern, for you to check out!

        This quilt is as easy as, well ABC when you do it the Kaye Wood way! Comes with directions and a fabric supply list to make a 48" x 75" quilt! Use interesting printed fabric or photos on fabric to make it your own! Click the link for more info!

        New Sale!

        FREE DVD of this show when you buy the book!

        For the next two weeks when you order Simple Chenille Quilts by Amy Whalen Helmkamp, you will receive a DVD of this episode absolutely FREE! This is a savings of $18 to you! Plus, you will create the fluffiest, softest quilts with Amy's oh so easy techniques!

        Combine faux chenille and raw-edge patchwork and what do you get? The cuddliest quilts imaginable! Pair up two trouble free techniques for an entirely new twist on these quick and reversible quilts!

        • Stitch 10 texture filled projects including lap quilts, baby quilts and table runners.
        • Use the techniques to make appliqué motifs from raw-edge hearts to chenille vines.
        • Sew blocks together and you're done, no quilting required!
          Click the link and order today!
          http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

        Monthly Sale

        Free shipping on this fabulous book by Kaye Wood!
        Read on for the review of this book below, by guest author Kim Noblin, as printed on the site Bellaonline.

        Everyone Can Quilt by Kaye Wood, offers projects and techniques that will make anyone, regardless of quilting experience, successful! With over 30 years of teaching experience and as hostess of her own quilt show, Ms. Wood has led thousands of quilters through the beginning steps of quilt making!

        Chapter 1 serves as an introduction and begins by helping you decide if you are a pointed or pointless quilter. Next, you'll find a list of the supplies that you will need to get started, along with some really good advice on how much fabric to buy, and how to feed your fabric stash. All of this info is delivered with a nice blend of wit and wisdom. There are over 20 projects included in this book ranging from "No Problem" quilts to more complicated star patterns. There are small quilts, large quilts, pillows, potholders and table toppers. All patterns have accuracy built into the construction process, making them virtually fool-proof! If you've ever watched Kaye's Quilting Friends on television, you've seen her use her Starmaker rulers to simplify the construction of her blocks. For the patterns in this book, Kaye has included paper templates, that will allow you to make your own Starmakers.

        As a bonus, there are lots of great tips, humorous stories and photos, from Kaye's long career as a quilt teacher and television personality, that will have you chuckling while learning.

        I highly recommend this book for anyone who is just learning to quilt or who wants to learn an easier way to make quilts. I have no doubt that everyone CAN quilt, with this wonderful book by Kaye Wood!
        http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html
        Some of the projects from Everyone Can Quilt!

        Share With Us

        Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would like hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below and it will find a place in our newsletter!
        mailto:joyce@...?subject=sharewithus

        1) No more sliding templates for me! I just put a little rubber cement on the back side of my rulers, let dry well and they do not move! Carolyn, Nashville, TN

        2) I take mousepads from the computer and put them under my sewing machines foot pedal. This prevents it from sliding all over. Paula G. from Fullerton, CA

        3) My favorite thing to quilt is mini quilts. I can finish them quickly and change them before I become bored with what's hanging on my wall. To avoid wear and tear on the paint job of my walls, I began using Poster Tape. It holds them beautifully and I can find it anywhere scotch tape is sold. No holes in my wall, no mess! Thanks for a GREAT newsletter! Judy P., Loveland, CO

        4) Due to a rollover car accident last Oct., I have had to have a bridge put in my mouth. The dentist gave me what he called a floss threader, to get dental floss under the bridge. This is a little, blue plastic loop. Because my eyes are not as good as they used to be, I took this dental threader and put it into my quilting needle eye. Then I put the thread through the loop and pulled it gently through the eye of the needle! Presto, simplicity in threading the needle! This also works on machine needles and most smaller hand sewing needles. I sure hope this suggestions helps someone else as much as it has helped me! Love you newsletters, thank you so much! Betsy B., Warren, OH

        5) When I'm holding my template down while cutting my fabric, I use just the tips of my fingers, not the palms. That way, when I lift up my hand, I have found the ruler has less chance of moving. Ceclia E., Grand Rapids, MI

        KayeWoodTV.com is here!

        BIG NEWS on the KayeWoodTV.com website!

        Take a look at the new featured show, Stacking My Blocks
        by Kaye Wood!

        Be the first of your friends to enjoy Kaye's Quilting Friends, right from your computer! The show you know and love can be accessed at the click of a mouse! You will find that Kaye and her guests provide exceptional TV programming, that will offer a variety of quilting and sewing projects, for every skill level! Furthermore, you pick the right time for you to watch! You can access Kaye's show anytime it's convenient for you! So what are you waiting for? Click that link and enjoy!

        Send us your project pictures and let us show them off for you!
        Check out these beautiful projects from our readers! Thanks to all who share their quilts and stories with us!

        I live in England and have been quilting for 8 years now. After 3 years I started teaching classes for beginners. Now I have started up a new quilt group, called "Ampersand Quilters", in my area. I teach here also, but it is for everyone. My passion is for landscape quilts, as taught by Joen Wolfrom. I also do animals as well as many bed quilts. Shirley

        Here is a picture of the quilt I made for a cancer survivor, from the scarves that she wore during her treatments. Arlene

        If you'd like to check out more wonderful quilts made by our readers, just click the link!

        Another option is to mail a non-returnable picture along with your story to this address;

        Another great site to look at!

        Save 10% off your next order with the Fat Quarter Shop! Just type in DISCOUNT in the coupon box during checkout. Coupon code must be entered when placing your order to be valid. Coupon is valid through June 30, 2007. We look forward to your visit!

        http://www.fatquartershop.com

        A new quilting cruise is in the works!

        Join Kaye and the Roundbobbin group, for a fantastic Mother's Day Sew Fun Cruise!
        May 10th thru May 18th, 2008
        What better way to celebrate motherhood, than on a great cruise just for you!
        Pack a bag, grab your passport and set sail to these wonderful ports of call!

        • Ft. Lauderdale
        • Panama
        • Costa Mayo
        • Costa Rico

        For more info, call Bonnie at Cruise One!
        1-800-784-4480
        Or go to
        http://www.roundbobbin.com

        Did You Know?

        Here are some more color tips and a bit of terminology you might've heard, but were not sure what they meant.

        • The color value, is the degree of lightness or darkness a color has. If you add white, it would be called a tint, but if you add black, it is then called a shade.
        • Monochromatic colors are all the tints and shades of a single color.
        • Achromatic means without color, therefore white, gray or black in appearance.
        • The depth of color refers to how close or far away a color feels. Warm colors always feel closer then cooler ones.
        • Bleeding colors are two colors next to each other on the color wheel. The blending will give the area a softer effect.
        • Contrasting color values occur when a light color is placed next to a dark one. This can make the light color appear bigger.
        • When someone mentions country colors, they are speaking about colors usually inspired by nature's hues. Warm browns, sunny yellow, tree green, sky blue and wildflower purple are a few of the colors.
        • Make a quilt with only pure primary and secondary color, no black or white mixed in, and you will have a very vibrant looking quilt.
        • Black and white are great colors for a base. Black will dim colors where white will brighten colors in most instances. They are also good to use for runners or sashing.

        Useful Links

        Kaye's all new blog!
        It's all new and written totally by Kaye, just for you! Keep in touch with Kaye and find out what is going on in her life and the world of quilting!
        http://www.kayes-quilting-friends.blogspot.com/

        Kaye Wood Inc. Catalog
        Our brand new catalog is available online, anytime, anywhere! Convenient shopping day or night!

        Well gang, I guess that's all for this week. Let us know if you need anything or if we can help you out in any way! From all of us at Kaye Wood Inc., keep smiling, keep loving and above all...keep stitching!

        Kaye Wood, Inc.

        1-800-248-5293, Monday thru Friday, 9-5, EST

        Unsubscribe details:
        This message was sent to you because you previously indicated you would like to receive announcements of news, events and special promotions. To unsubscribe, click the link and send an e-mail to:
        mailto:terrye@...?subject=unsub

        Quilting E-Newsletter, Blog, Online Videos, Quilting and Sewing Ebooks and Epatterns, here, at kayewood.com!

        http://kayes-quilting-friends.blogspot.com/

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 9, 2009

          Quilting The Kaye Wood Way

          Hi Quilters

          Thanks for being a Kaye's Quilting Friends reader!

          We're starting to get information back on our Hexagon Challenge. Have you tried it yet? (pssst.... there's a special deal on a free pattern with the View & Do Hexagon... see below...)

          It is always fun to learn a new technique and by taking The Challenge, you can experience several different ways to cut hexagons. Then let us know your opinion. So... what are you waiting for?? Let us know if you like the technique challenges. We plan to do more.

          Another note..let us know about your charity quilting. We've heard from lots of you and we are so proud of the quilting community. Did you know that local police and fire departments like to have quilts in their rescue vehicles. It really helps in domestic abuse and fire situations. Think about this if you haven't begun to make charity quilts. Here's our charity page to get you started! http://www.kayewood.com/blog/community/charities/

          Have a great day.

          On Sale This Week....

          Free Seasonal Wallhanging Pattern with the purchase of the View & Do Hexagon Shape!

           A 6 pointed star with several interchangeable fussy-cut centers, quickly changes with the seasons. Start with a hexagon, which is fussy-cut from fabric or an embroidery design. Add triangles and Log Cabin borders to accent the center. Great for any season, holiday or event you'd like to make special! Great gift idea!

          http://www.kayewood.com/sale

          (please, only one free pattern per order).

          New On Our Site

          Kaye's Picks....Randomly Kaye will pick a pattern to feature in our newsletter. These are limited quantities - first come, first served.

          This week, Kaye picks the Spring Welcome Basket Pattern

          Only a handful available, be sure to order quickly!

          A beautiful wall hanging that features embroidery as the focal point. The embroidery comes pre-printed, precolored, and colorfast. Add the embroidery and make into a wall hanging, Approximate size 20' x 35.

          Check out this new pattern as well as all of our other new additions here:

          http://www.kayewood.com/new

          Search Our Site....

          Looking for something in particular? Try the search box at the top right hand of virtually every page. Just enter what you're looking for and see what pops up!

          Kaye's Quilting Friends Discussion List....

          This list, sponsored through YahooGroups is a lively, high volume list. Join the fun!

          Quilting Events This Month.....
          • Edmonton & District Quilters’ Guild, celebrating 30 years, June 13-14, 2009, gymnasium of King’s University College, Edmonton, Alberta, kalogan@...

          • Central Oklahoma Quilter’s Guild, Inc.  Oklahoma State Fairgrounds, June 18-20th, 2009.
          • Vermont Quilt Show, June 19-21. 2009, St. Michael’s College, Colchester, VT, inf@...
          Original Creative Festival, June 25-27, 2009, Sharonville Convention Center, Sharonville, OH, www.pcmexpo.com

          Tips From Our Readers

          Send us your tips.......

          I could not find a template the size that I needed to make a quilt.  So I cut the shape out of paper and transferred it to basal wood.  I included the seam allowance, too. The wood is 1/8" thick.  I cut 2 pieces of the template out of the wood the same size, glued them together.  The sides were a little ruff, so I sanded them just a little so the wood would not catch on the fabric.  Now I have a template to use for all quilts.  The wood works just like the plastic templates do.....Norma
          My tip is saving the plastic insert in the bacon and turkey bacon packages.  I run them through the dishwasher and then cut out the desired shapes for templates.  Recycling the plastic which is usually around forever....Karen

          Our readers show off their quilts....
          I thought that you might like to see one of the bed quilts that I have made plus my latest wallhanging.  This was an applique piece overlaid with 2 layers of chiffon so that the fish are truly under the water...Shirley
          Here is a photo of my version of “Angel Song”.  I have a good friend who collects angels of all sorts.  So, each Christmas I try to find an angel for her.  I have made a machine embroidered organza ornament, a paper pieced pillow, and a stained glass quilted wall hanging.  This year when I found Angel Song on your website, I knew it was the right for her gift. My Angel Song was stitched in the border ditches, echo quilted around the angels and has Sulky Sliver details on the gowns and wings.  Hope you like it....Jackie
          If you have a quilt or wallhanging you've made and would like us to see it, send us a picture, along with a 50 or so word description of what makes your project special! Send to: terrye@...

          Contact us:

          • Kaye Wood, Inc
          • PO Box 456