Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Dec 5, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2006

      Tuesday, December 5th***Tuesday, December 5th***Tuesday, December 5th***Tuesday, December 5th***Tuesday, December 5th***Tuesday, December 5th***Tuesday, December 5th***Tuesday, December 5th***Tuesday, December 5th***Tuesday, December 5th***Tuesday, December 5th***Tuesday, December 5th***

      Hey everyone! Our holidays are in full swing and we all know how stressful that can be. Especially, if you are the hostess for the party, family get together or major shin-dig! Here are a few tips that might help you along your way, to organize and plan a little better.

      Happy holiday tips!

      Do you recall one time or another, when your "happy holidays" were more like "a nightmare before Christmas"? I know I can! Well, it's time to put that aside and do yourself and the people you love a big favor. This is going to require a little discipline on your part, but you can do it and the benefits will be sooo worth it! Take a look!

      Week 1

      • Make one big list of all of your holiday chores. Wrapping, shopping, invitations, anything you can't forget, and keep it with you at all times! For the next month, this is your sanity tool.
      • Mark your calendar with anything of importance for the whole month. Add other dates as soon as you receive them, so nothing is left out. Don't forget to put the times too.
      • Make your guest lists for get togethers and send invitations if need be.
      • Make a main shopping list for your holiday menus and start buying ahead of time, anything that won't perish or spoil.
      • Check out your gift list and save time and money, by staying out of the stores and doing a little internet shopping. Most places offer great shipping rates or even free s/h in a lot of cases. Plus, most of them will wrap your gift, if that's not one of your favorite things to do. Let the shopping come to you and quit fighting the crowds.
        Week 2
      • Finish your gift buying, making sure you have a couple extra on hand, just in case!
        • Start decorating your house.
        • Stock up on film, batteries, candles, anything you use a lot of.
        • If you wrap your own gifts, try and wrap a couple each day. If you have the space, set up a spot where you can leave your wrapping materials out and available for you.
        • Keep some party snacks around for unexpected guests.

        Week 3

        • If you have anything you can make ahead of time and freeze, do so. This will save you so much time later on. Don't forget to label it.
        • Finish your decorating including tree, outdoor and inside decorations. Make it a family day, set aside for the whole family to help with.
        • Plan with friends or family a day to bake.

        Week 4

        • Wash your linens, polish your silver, ready your guest rooms, get any extra tables or chairs you might need.
        • Check your menus over, then check them twice, and make sure you have everything you need.
        • Clean out the refrigerator, you're just going to fill it again and you'll need the extra space.
        • Finish any last minute wrapping and put together anything that needs assembly.
        • Give your house a final once over, cleaning where necessary.

        Now, I'm not saying this is the answer to all your holiday woes, but I have found organization is key, especially if you work and/or have children! If you find yourself crunched for time, do absolutely what's necessary and let some things go. Store bought cookies may not be as good as homemade but in a pinch, I bet your guests will still eat them! Try and take a breather for yourself everyday. Take a late night bath or a brisk walk, you'll thank yourself later! Above all remember, it's going to come whether your silver is polished or not, try to relax and enjoy it.

        Last week for this sale!

        99 cent s/h on either or both of these patterns!

        Christmas Row from Colorado Quilt Designs and Angelsong from Margie Engel!

        Measuring 38" x 46", this delightful row quilt is perfect for the holidays! Featuring six different Rows of Christmas Joy, there is a Star Row with five Friendship Star blocks, a House & Tree Row, and a Santa Row with four Santas. These are followed by the Stocking Row, the Gingerbread Men Row and the Presents Row. Our sample quilt uses eight different print fabrics (2 golds, 2 blues, 2 reds & 2 greens) and you'll need 33 buttons for the Gingerbread Men and Santas. Bring some Christmas Joy into your home with this holiday row quilt!

        Simple Angel appliques make this new 24 X 30 banner quick, but impressive. Stitching, embellishing and quilting are all done in one step. Make it today, and show it off tomorrow!

        http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

        New Monthly Sale!

        Free shipping on the Starmaker Master Template Set!

        This offer available in the U.S. only. The s/h fee will be taken off at the time of processing.

        Now you too can own the set Kaye uses for just about all of her books and projects! It comes complete with the Starmaker 5, 6 and 8 rulers, a Starmaker Design Concepts technique book, and a 77 minute Starmaker Design Concepts Video or DVD, your choice! Order now and your s/h will be FREE! Buy it for a friend and if you wish, we will ship it directly to them at no extra cost. Here are just some of things you can do with your SMMT!

        • Use the Starmaker 5 to strip-piece 20 piece Dresden Plates, 5 piece fans/tumblers, 9 degree wedges with the 20 angle, 5 pointed stars, diamonds, wedges, and triangles with the 5 degree angle.
        • Use the Starmaker 6 to strip-piece 12 pointed stars and diamonds, 6 pointed stars, diamonds and wedges, tumbling blocks and triangles.
        • Use the Starmaker 8 to strip-piece 16 point Dresden Plates and 4 piece fans with the 16 degree angle, 8 pointed stars, diamonds, and wedges with the 8 degree angle, squares, rectangles, triangles, half-squares, wedges, and triangles with the 4 degree angle.
        • Starmaker Design Concepts Book- A total technique book on how to use your Starmakers. Over 140 different design concepts.
        • Starmaker Design Concepts Video-Available in VHS or DVD format, join Kaye as she takes you step by step through your new template set. Kaye shows and explains her techniques on this handy video.

        Share With Us!

        Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would like to hear about them. Just e-mail it to me at the address below and it could find a place in our newsletter!

        mailto:joyce@...?subject=sharewithus

        1. Before I wash my material for a quilt or wall hanging, I clip the corners so I know they have been washed. It also helps so they do not ravel as much, when they are put in the washer and dryer. Cynthia D., Tidnish, Nova Scotia
        2. Hi Joyce, On a recent airplane trip to the East Coast, I was the envy of several people who had not realized it's now OK, to carry crochet hooks and plastic knitting needles on board, for trip projects. So everybody should get the word out to their friends. Also, I think I found this related tip in a quilting magazine. Since you still cannot carry scissors on board, tuck your dental floss in with your project supplies. You can cut that yarn in the same way you cut your dental floss, with that little metal cutter on top! Susan W., Salem, OR
        3. Hi everyone, If you don't have a design wall in your quilting room, try this idea. Use a large flannel backed, plastic tablecloth. Tape it to the wall with painters tape. It will not put holes in your wall and is removable when you need to take it down. It's inexpensive, portable and works "wicked good" as we say in Maine. Happy holidays! Carolynne P.

        More Quilt Sayings!

        Quilts are like friends....a great source of comfort.

        Quilting is my passion.....chocolate comes in a close second.

        Quilters don't do buttons.

        Quilters make better comforters.

        Quilters come with strings attached !

        In the crazy quilt of life, I'm glad you're in my block of friends.

        I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting, so I don't have to dust them.

        Show & Tell

        Here are more beautiful quilts for you to check out, from our readers! Thanks to all of you that submit and share your quilts and stories with us! I know everyone enjoys them as much as I do!

        This is my latest quilt. It can be a wall hanging or a cover up. It is done by quilting as you go. It was a class that I took so I don't take the credit for anything, but loved the quilt and the process so much, that I wanted to share it. Quilt as you go is much easier than I thought and so much fun. Mary

        I used the Starmaker 6 to make this quilt for my then 13 year old daughter (now 14). I did most of the redwork nursery rhymes while we stayed at the hospital because of Crohns pain. Next time I will make just a tumbling block quilt, not use it as sashing! Elaine

        If you'd like to check out more wonderful quilts submitted by our readers, click the link.

        If you'd like to submit your quilt to our Show & Tell page, you can mail a non-returnable picture, along with the story about your quilt, to the address below. 50 words or less please. Your other option is to e-mail your picture and story to Terrye, at the e-mail address below. We'd love the chance to show off your work, so send them in!

        These are some of the scheduled events for 2007. We will add more events and links as they become available.

        Lecture/Demo/Trunk Show by Kaye Wood

        Prescott, AZ, 2-16-07

        For tickets call: 1-800-246-5293

        Attention: Quilters in the Prescott, Arizona area!

        Kaye has added a new date to her event calendar and she's coming to your town! You won't want to miss the fun and excitement, as Kaye shows you how to "strip" the Kaye Wood way! Always informative, always entertaining, Kaye will have you in stitches with her lecture/demo! The date for the event is February 16, 2007 at the Elks Opera House in Prescott, Arizona! Space is limited, so get your group together and plan for a fun day with Kaye!

        Call 1-800-248-5293 for additional information and prices!

        ************************************

        Sewing Expo, Puyallup, WA, Mar 1-4, 07 http://www.sewexpo.com

        ************************************

        AQS, Paducah, KY, April 25-29, 07

        http://www.americanquilter.com

        Come Cruise the Mediterranean with Kaye in 2007!

        Join Kaye Wood and Sew Many Places, for a great Mediterranean quilting cruise!

        http://www.sewmanyplaces.com

        Kaye Wood, Inc.,

        PO Box 456, West Branch , MI 48661

        West Branch, MI  48661

        Phone:  1_800_248_KAYE(5293)

        Website:  http://www.kayewood.com

        New: Watch Kaye's Quilting Friends on your computer! Just go to our home page.