Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Oct 31, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31 4:06 AM

      Tuesday, October 31st***Tuesday, October 31st***Tuesday, October 31st***Tuesday, October 31st***Tuesday, October 31st***Tuesday, October 31st***Tuesday, October 31st***Tuesday, October 31st***Tuesday, October 31st***Tuesday, October 31st***Tuesday, October 31st***Tuesday, October 31st***Tuesday, October 31st***

      Hey everyone! Did you remember to set your clocks back? Daylight savings time brings shorter days with more darkness and winter isn't even here yet. This I have a hard time dealing with. I am a sunshine person and so much gloom really brings me down. I've been checking around a little and found out, this really does effect the majority of us. I found a few tips that might help bring us out of our slumps. I hope you find them useful.

      1) Bring some color into your life! You'd be surprised how just wearing bright colors can give you a lift! Put a nice colorful quilt on the back of your couch, buy some pretty flowers, roll around in all of your different colored fabrics. Color can definitely help your mood.

      2) Exercise is a great way to beat the blues in any weather! Even when it's cold, wrapping up and walking for a little bit, will help lift your spirits and invigorate you.

      3) Try to meet new people or learn something new. The stimulation of trying different things and just having new conversations with people, can be very rewarding.

      4) Be good to yourself and to others around you. Take the time to get your nails done, or to take a bubble bath. Pampering yourself a little bit is definitely the ticket! Be kind to others. Help a neighbor or volunteer. That always brings good feelings to the surface and who knows, it just might catch on!

      I'm sure there's other things that will work too, but try these and see what happens.

      Have a happy Halloween everyone!

      If you're a person on the go, then you will appreciate this cute little guy from Lazy Girl Designs called, Sew on the Go! This handy little organizer is easy to make and allows you to pack the supplies you need for any hand sewing project in one neat tote! Just throw it in your purse or tote bag and take your project with you. When you have a few minutes, you'll love being able to work on one of your favorite projects. Free yourself from the restrictions of having to sew only at home! This tote is wallet sized 8 1/2 x 4 1/2. The pattern comes complete with instructions for a pin cushion and pockets for fabric pieces, appliqué block, scissors, beeswax, thimble, ruler, needle threader, pencil, seam ripper and 10 small spools or bobbins of thread! Has a neat elastic scrunchie closure and a full sized pocket hidden in the cover! Makes a great gift for yourself, the girls of your quilting guild or any sewing enthusiast you know. Available only for a limited time, order your Sew On The Go pattern today!

      Brand new sale, in time for the holidays!

      Here, just in time for your Christmas enjoyment, is Santa Time and the Snowman Row! Brought to you by our friends at the Colorado Quilt Design Co., these patterns are always a favorite! For the next 2 weeks when you buy one or both of them, your s/h will be only 99 cents, so order today!

      Dress up your home for the holidays with any of the three easy to piece quilts featured in this pattern. The large, fat quarter, friendly quilt measures 62" x 78" and features four Santas, four trees, four stars and four sets of presents along with a double border with stars in the corners. Also included are directions for two smaller quilts.

      Also featured for your early winter projects is our popular Snowman Row!

      Easy to piece, the Snowman Row quilt is sewn in seven vertical rows with a combination of eleven snowmen, three trees and fourteen pairs of mittens. Each of the blue, red, gold, and three of the green fabrics, are used in different combinations for the snowmen hats and vests, as well as the mittens. Use your creativity when combining your fabrics together to make a beautiful 62.5" x 80.5" quilt. This pattern also includes directions for a smaller quilt and wall hanging. A fun quilt with easy piecing and applique directions, it works and looks great with your cotton or flannels. Makes a wonderful gift!

      A fantastic new monthly special!

      For the whole month of November, if you place an order of $75 or more, your s/h will be absolutely free! This is just for the month, so take advantage of it now!

      Free shipping to the US only.

      Did You Know?

      Did you know we can ship your packages to anyone you choose? Well, we can and are happy to do it! Just include your separate, "ship to" name and address and we'll take care of the rest! A great way to get gifts to friends or loved ones who are far away!

      New Free Project!

      In case you missed it last week, I put this free project, Rail Fence with Alaskan Moose, up for one more week.

      Just click the link and we hope you enjoy it!

      Show & Tell

      Here are some more beautiful quilts for you to check out, that have been submitted by our readers! I absolutely love this part of the newsletter! One thing you can count on, is the story behind the quilts, is always as unique as the quilt itself! Thank you ladies for submitting and sharing your quilts with us, I know everyone enjoys them as much as I do!

      I attended a seminar by Kaye in 2005. It was awesome! I loved the Folded Star Pattern she had made into several different items. I kept thinking about it for months and then when I saw the article about Kaye in the Fons and Porter magazine, I knew I had to make one for myself. This is the first one I made and many more have come from that pattern. Tina F.

      I attached a photo of the quilt I did, using Kaye's Pinwheel Hearts pattern, with a little variation to show the pinwheels more. This quilt was made for my granddaughter Becky, who is 11 years old. She changes schools to her senior school in September this year. The brighter fabrics were from dresses I had made for her in the past. I finally got it finished and gave it to her on the 1st of October. She was so surprised and thrilled and sat on the sofa under it, there and then. I embroidered a label with a photo of her in her new uniform on it, so she'll know what she looked when she started the school. Barbara B.

      If you'd like to check out more wonderful quilts submitted by our readers, click the link.

      If you'd like to submit your quilt to our Show & Tell page, you can mail a non-returnable picture, along with the story about your quilt, to the address below. 50 words or less please. Your other option is to e-mail your picture and story to Terrye, at the e-mail address below. We'd love the chance to show off your work, so send them in!

      Kaye Wood, C/O Show & Tell

      Share With Us

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would like to hear about them. Just e-mail it to me at the address below and it could find a place in our newsletter!

      My name is Tanya (pronounced Tonya) W. I live in Paducah, Kentucky. I am a blind quilter. I have some tips that will help not only the visually impaired, but anyone who wants to use them.

      1) First, I find it hard to take out only one needle in the packages they come in, so I have a small tin box and have put business card magnets on the bottom. I can place the needles in them with enough space in between, to be able to take out only one and also be able to feel which size each needle is. Tanya W., Paducah, KY

      2) I use the little wire needle threaders for hand-sewing and have trouble keeping track of my threader. I have made my own pin cushions and sewn a small pocket on the back to keep my threader in so I always know where it is. That is if I remember to put my threader back in it when finished! Tanya W., Paducah, KY

      3) I make my own thimbles since I have very small fingers. I use a strip of plastic from a drink bottle. I cut it to size, place a piece of double-sided tape on the end and then wrap it around my finger to make sure it is the right size. I then take a piece of flannel and wrap around the inside and outside of the plastic. This makes it comfortable to wear and prevents slipping of the needle when pushing. I sew the sides of the flannel together and then the ends to keep it in place. Tanya W., Paducah, KY

      4) I use an old prescription bottle to keep my thimbles in, so that I always know where they are and don't have to dig for them. Tanya W., Paducah, KY

      5) I have also made my own small ironing board. I took an old wooden cutting board, placed a thick layer of batting on top, and then covered it in flannel and stapled the flannel to the back. This board is about six by twelve inches and is very portable and easy to tuck away when I'm not using it. Sincerely, Tanya W., Paducah, KY

      6) Fabric postcards are the rage among quilters right now. After the holidays are over, I think the plain part of the Christmas card would be fine to use as the 'poster' board portion. A penny saved is more pennies for fabric! Bertie D.

      What's New?

      A new streaming video of Kaye's Quilting Friends!

      For all of you who love Kaye's Quilting Friends, and for all of you that haven't had the pleasure of watching this great PBS TV show, here is your chance. Now, you can watch an episode of Kaye's Quilting Friends television, right on your computer as streaming video! What is streaming video? You just click and watch, no need to download it to your computer and it is FREE of charge.

      Check out the episode of Kaye's Quilting Friends that features her 3D design pattern called, Stacking My Blocks. Stacking My Blocks is an interesting quilt made from dark, medium and light fabrics that Kaye has once again simplified with her cutting and sewing. This quilt is pieced with absolutely no "Y" seams! Strip sets are cut into topless triangles using the Starmaker 6 Master Template and then sewn into rows and joined together. In no time at all, you too will be "stacking your blocks" and wondering why you ever thought it was difficult.

      This is available for a limited time, so don't miss it! Just click and watch right on your computer, you have to see it to believe it! To begin watching this fabulous program, click on the link.

      Program is viewed best with high speed connection. Dial up connection will work but is slower.

      Send us an e-mail and let us know what you think of Kaye's Quilting Friends streaming video!

      Early Bird Christmas Sales!

      1 day till the early bird Christmas sales!

      We've been counting down and now the time is here! Tomorrow starts are early bird Christmas sales! Now remember how it goes. You'll get this newsletter with the usual specials that go the way they always do. On Wednesday, you will get a brief note stating what is on sale. This sale will be valid through to the following Wednesday. The same goes for Friday. You will get a brief note telling you about another new sale item and you can order it up till the following Friday! Every week in November, there is a chance to buy 3-4 sale items! Plus, every Friday a subscriber will be drawn at random to win either a $25 gift certificate, a Sulky Thread Pack valued at $99, a Starmaker Master Template Set or a View & Do Shape Set by Kaye Wood, valued at $65 apiece! Great sales, great give aways, it just doesn't get any better then this! So don't delete those e-mails till you check out the sale item and get in the spirit of Christmas a little earlier!

      Sites To See

      Cross Country Quilt Barn specializes in carrying complete collections of the newest, brand name, country-style fabrics available at unbeatable prices! During your visit take a minute to "Sign In To Win" a $25.00 gift certificate and, for Kaye's Quilting Friends only, place an order before the new year and enter coupon code "KQF-10" to receive 10% off your orders! You will be pleasantly surprised at The Quilt Barn's unbeatable prices and stellar customer service!

      Attention: Quilters in the Prescott, Arizona area!

      Kaye has added a new date to her event calendar and she's coming to your town! You won't want to miss the fun and excitement, as Kaye shows you how to "strip" the Kaye Wood way! Always informative, always entertaining, Kaye will have you in stitches with her lecture/demo! The date for the event is February 16, 2007 at the Elks Opera House in Prescott, Arizona! Space is limited, so get your group together and plan for a fun day with Kaye!

      Call 1-800-248-5293 for additional information and prices!

      Are you missing the new segments of Kaye's Quilting Friends? Then you are missing out on all the new info and fun! Don't let this happen! Contact your PBS station and request that Kaye's Quilting Friends is on their schedule.

      Upcoming Events

      Quilter's Retreat

      Don't miss out on this one of a kind quilting retreat! At the beautiful Thunder Bay Resort, you can quilt the day away, take in a lecture/demo, or get your quilt appraised. Plus, the carriage/sleigh ride to view the elk is a fabulous experience, along with a 5 course gourmet meal, cooked right in front of you and a wonderful wine tasting event! Believe it or not, this is just part of the fun! If you don't want to sign up for the retreat, you can always sign up for classes to suit your needs and time schedule. An all around good time, click the link for more information!

      Hillman, MI-Thunder Bay Resort

      11/15, 2006

      Call 800-729-9375 or http://www.quilterretreat.com

      Come Cruise the Mediterranean with Kaye in 2007!

      Join Kaye Wood and Sew Many Places for a great Mediterranean quilting cruise!

      If the thought of quilting, cruising the Mediterranean and hanging with Kaye, sounds like a lot of fun, than you should get on board! Starting August 28, 2007, spend 13 glorious days on Carnival's brand new cruise ship, the Freedom, cruising the Mediterranean and visiting 10 different ports! This is the trip of a lifetime and you will be shocked how affordable it can be! Plus, the added bonus of honing your favorite craft, with Kaye Wood by your side, makes this trip even more memorable! You can request more information about this fabulous trip by calling toll free, 1-877-887-1188 or visiting the Sew Many Places web site at:

      List Your Event

      Shows and events are going on all over the U.S. To have us list your event or to check and see if there are some in your area, just click the link below.

      Kaye Wood, Inc.,

      PO Box 456, West Branch , MI 48661

      West Branch, MI  48661

      Phone:  1_800_248_KAYE(5293)