Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Oct 25, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2006

      Tuesday, October 24th***Tuesday, October 24th***Tuesday, October 24th***Tuesday, October 24th***Tuesday, October 24th***Tuesday, October 24th***Tuesday, October 24th***Tuesday, October 24th***Tuesday, October 24th***Tuesday, October 24th***Tuesday, October 24th***Tuesday, October 24th***Tuesday, October 24th***

      Somebody really screwed up this time. Someone forgot to send the memo, didn't make the call or neglected to forward the e-mail. I'm not sure who it was but someone's going down! You just can't let stuff like this slip or things happen. Baaad things! Yes, someone messed up, therefore, when I went out to my car this morning, it was covered with...I shudder to say the word...SNOW!!! That's right, someone neglected to tell Mother Nature that in no way or form was it time to snow! Now, I know what you're thinking. I'm the one that whines about the heat and humidity, the one who wishes for cooler weather, so I shouldn't complain, right? Wrong! Cooler weather is not snow! So you can understand my frustration when I found mounds, alright a dusting, of snow on my car! Enough to shovel, alright, brush off with my wipers. But, this is just the beginning! You let one in and they all start moving in. Before you know it, there's snowballs and snowmen and snowy roads, ahh the horror! Whew, what a relief to get that off my chest! Alright, so I'm a little bit dramatic considering I have lived in Northern Michigan my whole life! Still, just in case, I'm firing off that e-mail. You can't mess with Mother Nature but you can sure try to suck up! Don't forget to turn those clocks back, (spring forward-fall back) Saturday night and have a happy, safe Halloween!

      Golden leaves swirl 'round about and tree limbs bow down low.

      Fall will have it's last hurrah, not in a hurry to go.

      October waves one last good-bye before it leaves the scene,

      Here's hoping you get more treats than tricks,

      Have a happy Halloween!

      Check This Out!

      Brand new from Margie Engel and just in time for the upcoming holidays, we have Angelsong! Angel appliques make this 24 x 30 banner quick but very eyecatching! Few fabrics are required for the angel appliques, which can be hand or machine stitched. The stitching, embellishing and quilting are all done in one step! Bead lovers, this would be a great pallet for all your embellishments! Best of all, make it today and show it off tomorrow! Simple enough to make a bunch before the holidays and impressive enough to give as gifts for all of your friends, family or to hang on your own wall! Click the link for further information!

      Last week for this fun sale!

      Fresh from Joan Hawley of Lazy Girl Designs, we have the Fanfare Log Cabin! Using a Lazy Angle block, you create a new twist on this old favorite, log cabin design! All you do is select a beautiful feature fabric, with at least three colors for the outer border. Coordinate the rest of the fabrics with these three colors. The pattern uses the Lazy Angle ruler for better accuracy but a paper template is enclosed with the pattern. All the instructions you need are included, with her exceptional Joan Hawley tips along the way to make it easier. This quilt is approximately 59" x 59" when finished. Order this pattern now and your s/h for this pattern will be only 99 cents! Order the pattern with the Lazy Angle tool and your s/h will be only $1.99. Any additional items ordered will have regular s/h fees applied.

      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Last chance for this sale!

      25 % off Strip Cut Quilts and/or the Starmaker 8 tool and video.

      Our new special is a fantastic book by Kaye Wood called, Strip-Cut Quilts! There is so much information in this book, I don't know where to begin! Kaye's Strip-Cut Quilts book is 96 pages big, with over 200 illustrations, 30 projects and 23 quilt block techniques. More than 30 color photos let you see what grand projects they truly are. This book is great for the beginner or advanced quilter, with projects to suit every skill level. Enjoy a trip through the seasons with quilts like, Glacier Ice, Spring Rain, Flying Gander and Rainbow Sherbert. Create a beautiful Christmas table runner or be swept away as Kokopelli Plays Again! Southwest Crossing and Painted Desert will soon transport you to the Southwest region! Techniques include fussy cuts, tree borders, flying geese, topless triangles and much, much more! Tips include everything from fabric preparation, accurate cutting, measuring and pressing tips, to squaring up your blocks, borders, sashing and mitered corners! Strip Cut Quilts uses Kaye's Starmaker 8 and has a paper template included, although we offer and recommend the acrylic version for greater accuracy and ease. You might also find useful, the Strip Cut Quilts technique video.

      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      New Free Project!

      We have a new free project for you called, Rail Fence with Alaskan Moose! Just click the link and we hope you enjoy it!

      http://www.kayewood.com/articles/railfence.pdf

      Show & Tell

      Here are some more beautiful quilts for you to check out, that have been submitted by our readers! I absolutely love this part of the newsletter! One thing you can count on, is the story behind the quilts, is always as unique as the quilt itself! Thank you ladies for submitting and sharing your quilts with us, I know everyone enjoys them as much as I do!

      This is the first full size quilt I have made. It is for my granddaughter Angel for her 6th birthday. She is just a little lady. The embroidery was done by hand and so was the quilting. This is one of 18 blocks and each block is a little different so she has something to look at while trying to go to sleep. Debbie

      I am a beginning quilter and this is my first Kaye Wood quilt. I made this quilt for my husband's, cousin's new grand baby. I also used this pattern to make two Cancer quilt blocks that will be put together and auctioned off on e-bay next year. Suzanne

      If you'd like to check out more wonderful quilts submitted by our readers, click the link.

      If you'd like to submit your quilt to our Show & Tell page, you can mail a non-returnable picture, along with the story about your quilt, to the address below. 50 words or less please. Your other option is to e-mail your picture and story to Terrye, at the e-mail address below. We'd love the chance to show off your work, so send them in!

      Kaye Wood, C/O Show & Tell

      Share With Us

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would like to hear about them. Just e-mail it to me at the address below and it could find a place in our newsletter!

      mailto:joyce@...?subject=sharewithus

      1) Didn't have time to put the pins and needles in the soap yet? Just run them through your hair, watch which direction, and then put it in your quilt. (Or babies diapers as I discovered when raising my six!) Jennie H.

      2) I cut time when working on my projects, just by trying to organize. I make a list of all the things I need for the project and gather them up. That way, everything is at my finger tips, I know if something has to be bought and I don't waste time looking for items. Maryann, Seattle, WA

      3) When I get spray adhesive on my cutting mat, I just rub alcohol on a cotton ball over it and it comes right up! Betty, Talahassee, FL

      4) As the holiday time nears, some of us will be making polar fleece "quilts" When working with the embroidered polar fleece or other embroidered fabrics, secure the cut threads along the edges of the embroidery with Fray check or similar product to keep them from raveling. Much of the stitching is done with a chain stitch which readily pulls out. Joanne K., Wyoming, MI

      What's New?

      A new streaming video of Kaye's Quilting Friends!

      For all of you who love Kaye's Quilting Friends, and for all of you that haven't had the pleasure of watching this great PBS TV show, here is your chance. Now, you can watch an episode of Kaye's Quilting Friends television, right on your computer as streaming video! What is streaming video? You just click and watch, no need to download it to your computer and it is FREE of charge.

      Check out the episode of Kaye's Quilting Friends that features her 3D design pattern called, Stacking My Blocks. Stacking My Blocks is an interesting quilt made from dark, medium and light fabrics that Kaye has once again simplified with her cutting and sewing. This quilt is pieced with absolutely no "Y" seams! Strip sets are cut into topless triangles using the Starmaker 6 Master Template and then sewn into rows and joined together. In no time at all, you too will be "stacking your blocks" and wondering why you ever thought it was difficult.

      This is available for a limited time, so don't miss it! Just click and watch right on your computer, you have to see it to believe it! To begin watching this fabulous program, click on the link.

      http://www.imageworksstreaming.com/kayestackingblocks.html

      Program is viewed best with high speed connection. Dial up connection will work but is slower.

      Send us an e-mail and let us know what you think of Kaye's Quilting Friends streaming video!

      mailto:kathleen@...?subject=streamingvideo

      Just Ask Kaye!

      Q) I received a bolt of fabric for my birthday. It was purchased at a flea market in the Pacific Northwest. My question is, as this is a not-so-attractive stripe of pink and brown, I have decided to design some tote bags with the intention of selling them. Is the copyright stamp an issue for me? I have searched the internet for every version of the letters I was able to make out and could not find a match. If the company doesn't exist after 36 years, are there still legal issues concerning making something from this fabric for my own financial gain?

      K) There should be no problem using the fabric for whatever way you want to use it.

      Q) Is it necessary to always include a border on your quilt?

      K) Believe it or not, this question comes up quite often! I don't feel you always have to have a border on a quilt. If it looks finished without the border, call it good and your quilt top is done. You'll know when you look at it if it needs one to pull the design together or give it that finished look.

      Q) Call my crazy, but I'm a new quilter. Some patterns call for pressing and some for ironing. Isn't it the same thing?

      K) You'd think so wouldn't you, but there really is a difference. When you iron, you go back and forth across the fabric, usually not lifting the iron at all, to take out the wrinkles. When you press, it's an up and down motion. You use the point of the iron to fold the seam, then lift the iron up and press it down for a few seconds. Then you move onto the next area that has to be pressed.

      Do you have a question you'd like Kaye to answer? Just click the link and submit it. We'll make sure it gets to Kaye for a quick answer!

      mailto:joyce@...?subject=justaskkaye

      Early Bird Christmas Sales!

      8 days till the early bird Christmas sales!

      We are now counting down to our early bird Christmas sale, taking place through the whole month of November! This is how it will work. On October 31st, you will receive our newsletter as usual. Then on Wednesday, November 1st, you will receive just a note, telling you the first item up for grabs in our early bird Christmas sale! Now don't panic, it's not a whole newsletter, just a note telling you about the sale item. You will have till the following Wednesday, to order it at that sale price. Then on Friday, November 3rd, you will receive another quick note, detailing another item on sale. You will have till the following Friday, to order that sale item. So Tuesday will be our regular newsletter, with it's usual great specials, that will run for two weeks. Then on Wednesday and Friday, you will receive a note of an additional sale item, that will run for only 1 week. Every week in November, you'll get a chance for 3 great sales! I can't tell you ahead of time what they will be, but there will be some great buys you won't want to miss out on, so make sure you're checking them out! Plus, every Friday a subscriber will be drawn at random to win either a $25 gift certificate, a Sulky Thread Pack valued at $99, a Starmaker Master Template Set or a View & Do Shape Set by Kaye Wood, valued at $65 apiece! Great sales, great give aways, it just doesn't get any better then this! So don't delete those e-mails till you check out the sale item and get in the spirit of Christmas a little earlier!

      Attention: Quilters in the Prescott, Arizona area!

      Kaye has added a new date to her event calendar and she's coming to your town! You won't want to miss the fun and excitement, as Kaye shows you how to "strip" the Kaye Wood way! Always informative, always entertaining, Kaye will have you in stitches with her lecture/demo! The date for the event is February 16, 2007 at the Elks Opera House in Prescott, Arizona! Space is limited, so get your group together and plan for a fun day with Kaye! Call 1-800-248-5293 for additional information and prices!

      Are you missing the new segments of Kaye's Quilting Friends? Then you are missing out on all the new info and fun! Don't let this happen! Contact your PBS station and request that Kaye's Quilting Friends is on their schedule.

      http://www.pbs.org/stationfinder/stationfinder_relocalize.html

      Upcoming Events

      Quilter's Retreat

      Don't miss out on this one of a kind quilting retreat! At the beautiful Thunder Bay Resort, you can quilt the day away, take in a lecture/demo, or get your quilt appraised. Plus, the carriage/sleigh ride to view the elk is a fabulous experience, along with a 5 course gourmet meal, cooked right in front of you and a wonderful wine tasting event! Believe it or not, this is just part of the fun! If you don't want to sign up for the retreat, you can always sign up for classes to suit your needs and time schedule. An all around good time, click the link for more information!

      Hillman, MI-Thunder Bay Resort

      11/15, 2006

      Call 800-729-9375 or http://www.quilterretreat.com

      Come Cruise the Mediterranean with Kaye in 2007!

      Join Kaye Wood and Sew Many Places for a great Mediterranean quilting cruise!

      If the thought of quilting, cruising the Mediterranean and hanging with Kaye, sounds like a lot of fun, than you should get on board! Starting August 28, 2007, spend 13 glorious days on Carnival's brand new cruise ship, the Freedom, cruising the Mediterranean and visiting 10 different ports! This is the trip of a lifetime and you will be shocked how affordable it can be! Plus, the added bonus of honing your favorite craft, with Kaye Wood by your side, makes this trip even more memorable! You can request more information about this fabulous trip by calling toll free, 1-877-887-1188 or visiting the Sew Many Places web site at:

      http://www.sewmanyplaces.com

      List Your Event

      Shows and events are going on all over the U.S. To have us list your event or to check and see if there are some in your area, just click the link below.

      Kaye Wood, Inc.,

      PO Box 456, West Branch , MI 48661

      Halloween Graphics from http://countrymusic.about.com/library/blhalloween.html

      West Branch, MI  48661