Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Oct 3, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3 10:15 AM

      Tuesday, October 3rd.***Tuesday, October 3rd.***Tuesday, October 3rd.***Tuesday, October 3rd.***Tuesday, October 3rd.***Tuesday, October 3rd.***Tuesday, October 3rd.***Tuesday, October 3rd.***Tuesday, October 3rd.***Tuesday, October 3rd.***Tuesday, October 3rd.***

      Hey everyone, I hope you're having a good start to your week. I woke up the other morning to the most heavenly sunrise I have seen in a while. Of course, I'd probably see more of them if I always got up that early, but that's another story. The sky was beautiful with streaks of pink, gold and orange, slashing across a back drop of crystal blue and purple. With the beautiful fall leaves, it was breathtaking. It filled me with all kinds of energy and good feelings and I hadn't even had my coffee yet! As you can see the image stuck with me. I hope you enjoy these sunrises from around the country.

      Here's a little poem you might enjoy!

      Summer's gone far away, gone the carefree lazy days.

      Gone the warmth, gone the leaves, gone the sunshine and gentle breeze.

      Time is turning, turning fast, autumn's here, here at last.

      Gently falling to the ground, colorful leaves to rake and mound.

      Brisk winds, golden days, harvest moons set the stage.

      Summer's gone far away, but autumn's here to turn the page.

      Check This Out!

      A Year In The Garden by Beth Ferrier

      A Year in the Garden is a 91" x 109" block quilt, designed to delight and challenge you! There are page after page of full color pictures and carefully written directions, to help and guide you. Also, the over 130 illustrations, make it even easier to follow. Not only a beautiful quilt, it is a teaching quilt as well. Each pieced block is done in order of complexity and will teach you a different technique. By the time you finish this quilt, you will have learned how to do or perfect these techniques:Sew Partial Seams, set in Y-Seams, match angles and seams, cut diamonds like a pro, improve your pressing skills, strip piece a lone star and tons more! So spread your wings and expand your skills! With A Year in the Garden, it will be a lot easier then you think!

      Click on the link for further information.

      New Sale!

      Free s/h on Candy Corn Pattern!

      Does candy corn bring back sweet memories for you of days gone by? What would you say if I could give you candy corn that has no calories, no carbs and is totally approved by the FDA? Are you curious yet? Well, we've got a sweet deal for you this week with our new special! In honor of October and the fall season, when you buy Kaye's Candy Corn Pattern, your shipping on that pattern is absolutely free! Do you need the View & Do Octagon Shape to go with it? Buy this tool with the Candy Corn Pattern and your s/h is only $1.99! This is a steal of a deal you won't want to miss out on! So get a "sweet treat" and save on your s/h when you buy Kaye's Candy Corn Pattern and View & Do Octagon Shape! Also, check out the new variation of the Candy Corn Pattern called Watermelon! This offer good in US and Canada.

      Candy Corn Pattern
      View & Do Octagon
      New variation Watermelon

      New Monthly Sale!

      25 % off Strip Cut Quilts and/or the Starmaker 8 tool and video.

      Our new special is a fantastic book by Kaye Wood called, Strip-Cut Quilts! There is so much information in this book, I don't know where to begin! Kaye's Strip-Cut Quilts book is 96 pages big, with over 200 illustrations, 30 projects and 23 quilt block techniques. More than 30 color photos let you see what grand projects they truly are. This book is great for the beginner or advanced quilter, with projects to suit every skill level. Enjoy a trip through the seasons with quilts like, Glacier Ice, Spring Rain, Flying Gander and Rainbow Sherbert. Create a beautiful Christmas table runner or be swept away as Kokopelli Plays Again! Southwest Crossing and Painted Desert will soon transport you to the Southwest region! Techniques include fussy cuts, tree borders, flying geese, topless triangles and much, much more! Tips include everything from fabric preparation, accurate cutting, measuring and pressing tips, to squaring up your blocks, borders, sashing and mitered corners! Strip Cut Quilts uses Kaye's Starmaker 8 and has a paper template included, although we offer and recommend the acrylic version for greater accuracy and ease. You might also find useful, the Strip Cut Quilts technique video.

      You Should Know!

      It's October which means it is also breast cancer awareness month. The best way to prevent it is early detection so please, please, make your appointments today. The life you save, could be your own! For more info, click the link below.

      Free Project

      We are pleased and proud to offer a very special project, designed and sewn by Kaye Wood. Kaye designed this pillow featuring Marcus Brothers Pink Ribbon Flannel, which is skillfully combined with coordinating Softy Flannels also by Marcus Brothers, to create this comfy pieced pillow. For the free pattern, just click on the link below.

      Show & Tell

      Here are some more beautiful quilts for you to check out, that have been submitted by our readers! I absolutely love this part of the newsletter! I love to see the different creativeness of our readers and how their interpretation comes out in their beautiful quilts! One thing you can count on is the story behind the quilts is always as unique as the quilt itself! Thank you ladies for submitting and sharing your quilts with us, I know everyone enjoys it as much as I do!

      This is my second quilt. It was made for Valentines Day for my 12 yr old granddaughter who lives in England and her favorite color is purple. I wanted to send her something that would remind her of me everyday. I used Kaye's Strip Quilting Sampler Quilt Project 7 as my guide. She adores it! Amber

      P.S. I also salvaged enough scraps to make a pillow sham!

      These 2 quilts were sewn by my granddaughters, ages 8 and 5. They sewed the squares into rows and the rows together, then I added the borders and did the top stitching. Our summer project and a lifetime of memories. Alicia started sewing at the age of 4. Larissa had her first lesson this summer! Signed, a proud grammy in Aztec, NM

      Click the link to see beautiful quilts submitted by our readers!

      If you'd like to submit your quilt to our Show & Tell page, you can mail a non-returnable picture, along with the story about your quilt, to the address below. 50 words or less please. Your other option is to e-mail your picture and story to Terrye, at the e-mail address below. We'd love the chance to show off your work, so send them in!

      Kaye Wood, C/O Show & Tell

      Share With Us

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would like to hear about them. Just e-mail it to me at the address below and it could find a place in our newsletter!

      1) If you want to make a fairly stiff but very temporary template, fold a piece of freezer paper with the waxy sides together and iron them. Makes a nice craft paper for kids projects too. Can be written on, is easy to cut and will hold up for several usages. Joanne

      2) I use lighter fluid on the bottom of my iron after it cools off. The web and goo comes right off. Ursula, PA

      3) When I get nasties on the bottom of my iron, I wipe the bottom of it with Goo Gone and let it sit. After it sits awhile, I dip a rag in soapy water and it wipes right off! Elizabeth, FL

      Just Ask Kaye!

      Q: I really have trouble picking my color for a quilt. How do I know what colors to use. I'm just new at this. I could use some help. Thank you, Ivana

      K: Start with colors you really like in a print, and pick some coordinating colors. Or if you know what room it will eventually reside in, maybe accent it with some of those colors. It's good to include both large and small prints, as well as some tone on tone designs. If you are making it for someone else, you might ask what colors they like and scope out their environment for ideas. Most of all don't stress over it. What looks good to you doesn't have to look good to other people. This is what makes your quilt yours and unique! Just go with it and let that creativity flow!

      What's New?

      Early Bird Christmas Sales!

      Hey everyone, just a little heads up on what to be looking for in the future. After the popular response we had last year, it's going to be back again! Our early bird Christmas sales running all of November! Now you can be ahead of the pack when it comes to getting great bargains! This year there'll be even more special buys, more prize give-aways and a whole lot more fun! So make sure you're checking your newsletter each week, you don't want to miss out!

      Attention: Quilters in the Prescott, Arizona area!

      Kaye has added a new date to her event calendar and she's coming to your town! You won't want to miss the fun and excitement, as Kaye shows you how to "strip" the Kaye Wood way! Always informative, always entertaining, Kaye will have you in stitches with her lecture/demo! The date for the event is February 16, 2007 at the Elks Opera House in Prescott, Arizona! Space is limited, so get your group together and plan for a fun day with Kaye! Call 1-800-248-5293 for additional information and prices!

      Are you missing the new segments of Kaye's Quilting Friends? Then you are missing out on all the new info and fun! Don't let this happen! Contact your PBS station and request that Kaye's Quilting Friends is on their schedule.

      To check out the info on Kaye's new series, just click the link!

      The US Postal Service is now offering stamps honoring the Quilts of Gee's Bend. Read more about this fascinating area and history of their quilts.

      Order your Quilts of Gee's Bend stamps by mail by going to the US Postal website or stopping in your local post office! They are available for a limited time only.

      Ad Swap

      If you haven't been to Quiltropolis, you don't know what you've been missing! Please join us to shop anytime of the day or night at *Online Quilt and Fabric Stores* in the MALL area: http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/kw.asp Join other quilting and sewing enthusiasts in sharing their knowledge and interests or ask for help with your latest project via the Email Discussion Boards: http://www.quiltropolis.com/kwm.asp List or locate items for sale in the *Classifieds* area for FREE! List your shop or guild in our *Shop or Guild Locator* for greater visibility and LOTS MORE! http://www.Quiltropolis.com

      Upcoming Events

      Kaye and Brenda had an awesome time this last weekend in Novi, MI! A big thanks to all the people who stopped by the booth, and to everyone who attended and made it a fantastic event!

      Quilter's Retreat

      Hillman, MI-Thunder Bay Resort

      11/15, 2006

      Call 800-729-9375 or http://www.quilterretreat.com

      Come Cruise the Mediterranean with Kaye in 2007!

      Join Kaye Wood and Sew Many Places for a great Mediterranean quilting cruise!

      If the thought of quilting, cruising the Mediterranean and hanging with Kaye, sounds like a lot of fun, than you should get on board! Starting August 28, 2007, spend 13 glorious days on Carnival's brand new cruise ship, the Freedom, cruising the Mediterranean and visiting 10 different ports! This is the trip of a lifetime and you will be shocked how affordable it can be! Plus, the added bonus of honing your favorite craft, with Kaye Wood by your side, makes this trip even more memorable! You can request more information about this fabulous trip by calling toll free, 1-877-887-1188 or visiting the Sew Many Places web site at:

      List Your Event

      Shows and events are going on all over the U.S. To have us list your event or to check and see if there are some in your area, just click the link below.

      Kaye Wood, Inc.,

      PO Box 456 , West Branch , MI 48661

      West Branch, MI  48661

      Phone:  1_800_248_KAYE(5293)