Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Sept 26, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2006

      Tuesday, September 26th***Tuesday, September 26th***Tuesday, September 26th***Tuesday, September 26th***Tuesday, September 26th***Tuesday, September 26th***Tuesday, September 26th***Tuesday, September 26th***Tuesday, September 26th***Tuesday, September 26th***Tuesday, September 26th***Tuesday, September 26th***

      Hey everyone, I hope you first official weekend of the fall season was an enjoyable one! It was a little brisk on the soccer field this last Saturday, but soon the sun came out and warmed up everything very nicely! The colors are really starting to show themselves and the view is just breathtaking! Even looking from the window of my house onto the lawn is a joy. With the green grass as a fabulous backdrop, the leaves look like colorful ornaments that are there just to decorate the lawn! They're not dried out enough when they still have color to crunch under your feet good, but my daughter and her cousins were still having a ball with the small leave piles they were making! It was like a picture watching them toss the handfuls of color into the air, to have them slowly, float down around them, as they giggled away! Oh, to be so young and carefree again! At least I have a good picture to store away, for the upcoming winter season!

      Hummingbird Pattern with Beach Roses

      If you're looking for an easy, fun project, look no further. Joan Shay has just the thing for you and it's called the Petal Play Hummingbird Pattern! Whether you are a beginning quilter or an expert in appliqué, her 3-D Appli-bond© technique, will allow you to add exciting, realistic three-dimensional appliqué, to your quilts. Just look at the detail this picture has! This technique allows you to create dimension, without turning any edges. Comes complete with fabric requirements, paper templates, illustrated stitch sheet, and a list of all the items you need, to make your project a success. When bonded the Joan Shay way, these quilts can go into the washer and dryer and will not lose their shape or curl. Makes a great gift or dare I say it? A great Christmas present!

      Sale-Two discounts in one sale!

      Just in time for fall, we have 20 % off the Autumn Splendor Table Runner and Sew Easy Triangles! Buy one or both and get the discount. Plus, you get a shipping discount also! Buy the Autumn Splendor pattern and your s/h will be $1.99. Buy the Sew Easy Triangle Pack with the Autumn Splendor pattern, and your s/h will be $2.99! This offer good for US and Canada.

      To beautify and dress up your fall table, we have the Autumn Splendor table runner! Just think how beautiful this would look on your table at home! The perfect blend of fall colors, will definitely put you in the season! Easy to do with the Sew Easy Triangles, it would make a wonderful gift for your friends or yourself! Keep reading for more information on the Sew Easy Triangles.

      What are Sew Easy Triangles and how do they work? Sew Easy Triangles are a printed grid on fusible paper that enables the sewer to make precise half-square triangles, quarter-square triangles, and reversible prairie points. Sandwich two fabrics right sides together and fuse a page of Sew Easy Triangle Paper in place, with a hot dry iron. No pinning is necessary! Stitch on the dotted sewing lines, no marking is necessary, cut on the cutting lines, peel the paper, and press open. No squaring up! Your triangles are ready to go into a project. Sew Easy Triangles can be used with any pattern, but you will need to know the finished size of the triangle units you will be making. You can make 240 triangles from one package of the Sew Easy Triangle pack. Click the link for more information.

      Monthly Special

      This is the last week for this great special!

      99 cent s/h for the Springtime Hearts Pattern-US and Canada only.

      $1.99 s/h for Springtime Hearts Pattern and View & Do Heart Shape-US and Canada only.

      Hey everyone! Kaye has another new pattern to introduce to you and what better way then with a sale! Springtime Hearts is fresh off the press and you are going to love it! Plus, when you buy it within the next 2 weeks, the s/h on that pattern will be 99 cents! If you buy the accompanying View & Do Heart Shape with Springtime Hearts, your s/h will be $1.99! Take a look!

      Springtime is here all year round with this wonderful new pattern from Kaye called, Springtime Hearts. Time to bring out those beautiful floral fabrics and put them to some good use! Floral hearts are fussy cut using Kaye's View & Do Heart shape, and then framed by the larger, solid colored hearts. Appliqué the hearts to a background block and there you have it! Sound easy? That's just because it is! This pattern comes with full instructions and fabric requirements for a wallhanging, up to a king sized quilt! Tips include two different appliqué techniques and complete binding directions for mitered corners. The weather might be changing, but keep spring in your heart with Kaye's, Springtime Hearts pattern!

      Show & Tell

      Here are some more beautiful quilts for you to check out, that have been submitted by our readers! This is one of my favorite parts of the newsletter. It's great to see how differently people look at things and how creative juices vary from one reader to the next! One thing you can always count on is beautiful, interesting quilts. I love to look at the quilts, then read the story behind them. It gives them so much life, don't you think? Thank you ladies for submitting and sharing your quilts with us, I know everyone enjoys it as much as I do!

      I've been teaching myself to quilt for about 5 years now. I joined Kaye's forum and love the ladies. There I met Bransmom (Jo) a brand new quilter. We became fast friends. She was afraid to start a quilt for fear of making mistakes so I chose a pattern and we each made one. More than 2,000 miles apart we emailed and called one another all the time with updates and questions. We started in early June. I finished mine several weeks ago and she finished hers yesterday. I think she did a great job and we are both proud of our quilts. I think we both made out well getting not only a quilt, but a friend too. Her quilt is the one with the soft muted colors which she will treasure forever. Mine is the very colorful one which I donated to a school district, to earn money for student scholarships. Debbe

      This signature quilt was a joint effort for our family. Everyone signed a block, my mom embroidered all the names and pieced it together, and I hand-quilted it. Mom will be 90 in October and has made more quilts than we can count. She recently embroidered, pieced, and hand-quilted a darling baby quilt for a new great-grandson. She's a wonderful quilter and my inspiration. Kathy

      If you'd like to submit your quilt to our Show & Tell page, you can mail a non-returnable picture, along with the story about your quilt, to the address below. 50 words or less please. Your other option is to e-mail your picture and story to Terrye, at the e-mail address below. We'd love the chance to show off your work, so send them in!

      Kaye Wood, C/O Show & Tell

      Share With Us

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would like to hear about them. Just e-mail it to me at the address below and it could find a place in our newsletter!

      1) My best tool is a telescoping magnet so I can pick up my pins off the floor without bending over.. these can be purchased in the hardware dept... they fold back to the size of a pencil and telescope about 3 feet. Sharon, Gladwin, MI a.k.a. Golden Girl of West Branch

      2) I FINALLY found out how to keep needles from going all the way into a pincushion, chair arm or other places they get put, and it is a real "DUH"! Leave your thread in the needle and knot BOTH ends together. If the needle goes all the way in, the knot will stop the thread from joining the needle. The knot keeps the thread in the needle and you have a tail to pull it back out. Joan G.

      3) A grocery store product, Glad "Press and Seal" ( storage weight, not freezer) is great to use in marking a quilting pattern. Place the paper directly on your quilt. Place your quilting stencil on top and mark it with a pen onto the paper. You can quilt by hand or machine through the paper. When finished, the paper tears away easily. No more quilting marks to have to remove from your quilt! Hilda

      4) Hi Joyce: This may not be so new, but it is to me, as I am a fairly new quilter. While recently cutting out pieces for a large quilt, I organized the triangles, rectangles, etc. into plastic baggies. Then I labeled each with the measurement and the letter or # of each block. It has helped me so much to keep my thoughts organized, as well as my fabric! I haven't found any stray pieces on the floor and I don't wonder what happened to that extra piece, since using this method. Marilyn

      What's New?

      Early Bird Christmas Sales!

      Hey everyone, just a little heads up on what to be looking for in the future. After the popular response we had last year, it's going to be back again! Our early bird Christmas sales running all of November! Now you can be ahead of the pack when it comes to getting great bargains! This year there'll be even more special buys, more prize give-aways and a whole lot more fun! So make sure you're checking your newsletter each week, you don't want to miss out!

      Attention: Quilters in the Prescott, Arizona area!

      Kaye has added a new date to her event calendar and she's coming to your town! You won't want to miss the fun and excitement, as Kaye shows you how to "strip" the Kaye Wood way! Always informative, always entertaining, Kaye will have you in stitches with her lecture/demo! The date for the event is February 16, 2007 at the Elks Opera House in Prescott, Arizona! Space is limited, so get your group together and plan for a fun day with Kaye! Call 1-800-248-5293 for additional information and prices!

      Attention to all satellite subscribers!

      Kaye's Quilting Friends is now available on KBYU TV! Along with being on your regular PBS channel, you can now watch Kaye on KBYU and your satellite system. Be sure to check in on Fridays at noon!

      Are you missing the new segments of Kaye's Quilting Friends? Then you are missing out on all the new info and fun! Don't let this happen! Contact your PBS station and request that Kaye's Quilting Friends is on their schedule.

      To check out the info on Kaye's new series, just click the link!

      The US Postal Service is now offering stamps honoring the Quilts of Gee's Bend. Read more about this fascinating area and history of their quilts.

      Order your Quilts of Gee's Bend stamps by mail by going to the US Postal website or stopping in your local post office! They are available for a limited time only.

      Upcoming Events

      American Sewing Expo

      Novi, MI

      9/29 thru 10/1, 2006

      Call 248-889-3111 or http://www.americansewingexpo.com/

      Quilter's Retreat

      Hillman, MI-Thunder Bay Resort

      11/15, 2006

      Call 800-729-9375 or http://www.quilterretreat.com

      Come Cruise the Mediterranean with Kaye in 2007!

      Join Kaye Wood and Sew Many Places for a great Mediterranean quilting cruise!

      If the thought of quilting, cruising the Mediterranean and hanging with Kaye, sounds like a lot of fun, than you should get on board! Starting August 28, 2007, spend 13 glorious days on Carnival's brand new cruise ship, the Freedom, cruising the Mediterranean and visiting 10 different ports! This is the trip of a lifetime and you will be shocked how affordable it can be! Plus, the added bonus of honing your favorite craft, with Kaye Wood by your side, makes this trip even more memorable! You can request more information about this fabulous trip by calling toll free, 1-877-887-1188 or visiting the Sew Many Places web site at:

      List Your Event

      Shows and events are going on all over the U.S. To have us list your event or to check and see if there are some in your area, just click the link below.

      Kaye Wood, Inc.,

      PO Box 456 , West Branch , MI 48661

      West Branch, MI  48661

      Phone:  1_800_248_KAYE(5293)