Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Sept 6, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2006
      Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Wednesday, Sept 6, 2006

      Kaye Wood's Quilting Newsletter

      Wednesday, September 6th***Wednesday, September 6th***Wednesday, September 6th***Wednesday, September 6th***Wednesday, September 6th***Wednesday, September 6th***Wednesday, September 6th***Wednesday, September 6th***Wednesday, September 6th***Wednesday, September 6th***Wednesday, September 6th***

      Hey everyone, I hope you had a grand Labor Day. Over the weekend as I talked to people, I found out very few really knew much about Labor Day, or how it evolved. So guess what? That's right, time for a little history lesson. I hope you find it as interesting as I did.

      Did you know that the Labor Day holiday is over 100 years old? It was started by the Knights of Labor in 1882 and originated in New York, as a day to celebrate the working class. The Knights of Labor held a big parade in New York City in 1884. After this parade, it was decided that from there on out, the parade was to be held on the first Monday in September, and was to be called Labor Day. It started kind of slow, but then built up steam as more and more states adopted this day. Finally, in the year of 1894, Congress passed a law recognizing Labor Day as a national holiday. Labor Day has evolved and seems it is not so much about celebrating the working class, as the unofficial end of summer and a day off from work. So if you are lucky enough to be able to celebrate Labor Day, send up a little thank you to our ancestors, for making it possible.

      "Check This Out", will return next week with an all new product to show you! You can still click the link to see other "Check This Out" featured products.

      New Sale!

      $5 off the Radiant Suns pattern and tools.

      Just see how the Radiant Suns glow, in this fun pattern by Cara Gulati of the Doodle Press! This pattern includes step-by-step instructions, tips on how to piece without pins and the acrylic templates, to make your project a success! It's easy to sew these curves and takes only 5 curved pieces to make up a 10" block. Your finished quilt will be about 68"W x 88"L in size. So expand your horizons and make one of these striking looking quilts for yourself! This $5 discount available for the next 2 weeks only.

      Monthly Special

      99 cent s/h for the Springtime Hearts Pattern-US and Canada only.

      $1.99 s/h for Springtime Hearts Pattern and View & Do Heart Shape-US and Canada only.

      Hey everyone! Kaye has another new pattern to introduce to you and what better way then with a sale! Springtime Hearts is fresh off the press and you are going to love it! Plus, when you buy it within the next 2 weeks, the s/h on that pattern will be 99 cents! If you buy the accompanying View & Do Heart Shape with Springtime Hearts, your s/h will be $1.99! Take a look!

      Springtime is here all year round with this wonderful new pattern from Kaye called, Springtime Hearts. Time to bring out those beautiful floral fabrics and put them to some good use! Floral hearts are fussy cut using Kaye's View & Do Heart shape, and then framed by the larger, solid colored hearts. Appliqué the hearts to a background block and there you have it! Sound easy? That's just because it is! This pattern comes with full instructions and fabric requirements for a wallhanging, up to a king sized quilt! Tips include two different appliqué techniques and complete binding directions for mitered corners. The weather might be changing, but keep spring in your heart with Kaye's, Springtime Hearts pattern!

      Show & Tell

      Take a look at the wonderful quilts a couple of our readers sent to show us! Our first pictures come from Lorraine who has a soft spot for a charity called the Blankie Project. Fantastic job Lorraine, it looks like you've done a lot to help the Blankie Project be a great success!

      The Blankie Project isn't one quilt but I feel they are so valuable I had to share. This idea came to me when my friend Virginia, developed Alzheimers. The 14x19 comfort quilt is designed to stimulate a patient visually and by touch. This therapeutic tool has proven beneficial to many patients. Lorraine

      Our next quilt comes from Connie who made a wonderful quilt for her granddaughter! Do you like the pattern? Connie used one of Kaye's new patterns called A-Maze-Ing! Beautiful work Connie, your granddaughter must love it!

      This quilt was made using Kaye's A-Maze-Ing Quilt Pattern and the Starmaker 6 Master Template. It was machine quilted with Continuous Curves on the body and Route 66 on the Border. I made it for my granddaughter. Although you can't see the detail, some of the fabrics were Funky Monkeys, Tropical Safari, Kaleidoscope and Freckles. Connie

      To check out our readers wonderful quilts, just click the link!

      If you'd like to submit your quilt to our Show & Tell page, you can mail a non-returnable picture, along with the story about your quilt, to the address below. 50 words or less please. Your other option is to e-mail your picture and story to Terrye, at the e-mail address below. We'd love the chance to show off your work, so send them in!

      Kaye Wood, C/O Show & Tell

      Share With Us

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would like to hear about them. Just e-mail it to me at the address below and it could find a place in our newsletter!

      1) This tip actually came from my mother. While living in homes which did not allow for a separate sewing room, my mom's sewing room was also our guest room. We had a crib in this room which my dad cut a piece of plywood to fit over the top and rested on the rails. This was a great cutting board. The rails of the crib could be lifted up and down for folks of varying height. When not being used for a babies nap, we used the crib for storage of our current project. Now that I'm a Gramma, I still use the same piece of plywood. The old crib has been retired for a new one, but it's become a tradition for us. Nina

      2) I found another use for those left over baby food jars. I drove a nail in the top of the lid and placed it back on the jar. When my sewing machine needles, regular needles or pins get bent or dull, I just drop them into the nail hole on the top of the baby food jar. You can use either the large or small jars. Jone in Riverside, CA.

      3) Hi everyone. I am new at quilting, and as you know what happens...a lot of ripping out! What I have found to clean up all those loose threads from my project and the floor is masking tape. I will roll it around my fingers and pass it across my project and it will pick up the loose threads. As for the floor I put a strip down or I use a ball of tape and run it across the floor. This will stop it from getting in the rollers of the vacuum. Mildred P., Newbury, Ohio

      4) Kaye and Joyce, For the people who have allergies and can't use scented candles, this is an alternative way to get rid of odor. With hot, soapy water, wash the plastic jugs or containers that have had milk or other orders in them. Then fill these containers with water that contains soda and salt. This hot soda and salt water, will take the odor out and people who have allergies can avoid the scented candles, etc. Alneta M., Claremore, OK.

      5) Hi Kaye..I am very short on storage space. I use hanging purses or shoe holders for my fabric. My husband made me a PVC pipe frame that holds these. Makes it easy to color code too. Linda M., Abilene, KS.

      The Survey Says...

      In our last letter, we had another one of our famous surveys. This question had sooo many responses, I was a bit overwhelmed! (but very pleased of course!) To actually say which answer I received more then another, I couldn't do, they were so close. So, I'm going to give you the top number of responses and then some great responses from a few of our readers. A big thanks to all of you who took the time to participate! Here is the question:

      Q. What do you like most about quilting?

      As I said, we received a ton of replies, but here are the top answers.

      1) It relaxes me, helps me to de-stress and gives me time for myself.

      2) The creativity involved with making the quilt, using different colors, fabrics and textures.

      3) Constructing and piecing the quilt.

      4) Seeing the faces of the people who receive the quilt when gifting them.

      5) All of it plus the bonus of making new quilting friends.

      Here are a few responses from you, our readers. Once again, thanks to all who participated!

      1) Where do I start?? I love to sew. I love the fabric. I love the colors. I love the designs. I love the creativity. Eileen

      2) What I like most about quilting, although I only consider myself a beginning quilter, is the creative ability it allows you. "Painting with fabrics", as I call it. Although, the wide eyed smiles and squeals of delight from the children in my family who receive my quilts, ranks right up there!!! The snatch-them-and-run with them, once they realize they are theirs is fun too! S.Brooks, MO.

      3) The total mind involvement.... especially when stressful situations are all around me. The total immersion or focus gives me a place to rest. Kris P.

      4) The challenge of each pattern, it is a quiet time, and it keeps you from working on your chores. It is also somewhat addicting and you hurry to finish so you can start another quilt. So many patterns to make and not enough time.

      5) Hi. The thing I like best about quilting is that it is all MINE. Nobody horns in to tell me how to do it right or better. I can do as I please, and everybody wants one, so I must be doing a pretty good job. I like the peace and quiet I have while working on my projects, and the peace that comes with doing something that not only helps others, but fulfills a need in my soul as well. Thanks for reading--Jennifer C.

      6) A group of us quilt for the public and others make and tie quilts for various organizations. The sense of doing something for others less fortunate, along with the camaraderie of the group, makes Monday a day not to be missed. Last year seven of us made and donated 176 quilts of varying sizes, about 135 book bags and 20 back packs. Yes, our tongues are busy but you can see our fingers are too. Kate D.

      Ad Swap

      The Cross Country Quilt Barn carries complete collections of the newest fabrics available. Now you only have to visit one place to get all you need to complete a project. Visit Cross Country Quilt Barn today and take advantage of our great prices! Also, for a limited time only, our first-time customers will receive a $10.00 gift certificate as our way of saying thank you! It will be shipped with your first order. Don't forget to "Sign In To Win" a $25.00 monthly gift certificate drawing, while you are visiting The Quilt Barn!

      http://www.crosscountryquiltbarn.com

      What's New?

      Are you missing the new segments of Kaye's Quilting Friends? Then you are missing out on all the new info and fun! Don't let this happen! Contact your PBS station and request that Kaye's Quilting Friends is on their schedule.

      http://www.pbs.org/stationfinder/stationfinder_relocalize.html

      To check out the info on Kaye's new series, just click the link!

      http://www.kayewood.com/tvshows_2100.html

      Upcoming Events

      Wisconsin Quilt Expo

      Presented by Wisconsin Public Television, Friends of WHA TV and Sewing With Nancy!

      Madison, WI

      9/14 thru 9/16, 2006

      http://www.wiquiltexpo.com

      American Sewing Expo

      Novi, MI

      9/29 thru 10/1, 2006

      Call 248-889-3111 or http://www.americansewingexpo.com/

      Quilter's Retreat

      Hillman, MI-Thunder Bay Resort

      11/15, 2006

      Call 800-729-9375 or http://www.quilterretreat.com

      Come Cruise the Mediterranean with Kaye in 2007!

      Join Kaye Wood and Sew Many Places for a great Mediterranean quilting cruise!

      If the thought of quilting, cruising the Mediterranean and hanging with Kaye, sounds like a lot of fun, than you should get on board! Starting August 28, 2007, spend 13 glorious days on Carnival's brand new cruise ship, the Freedom, cruising the Mediterranean and visiting 10 different ports! Your ship will leave from Rome, Italy and take you to explore other Italian ports such as: Tuscany, Florence, Pisa and Liverno. From there you head to Greece to explore the wonderful sites of Athens and Katakolon. Next, you head to Turkey where you will check out the exotic ports of Istanbul and Izmer. Heading back towards Rome, you will stop again in Greece to the port at Rhodes. From there it's Naples, Italy and once again, Rome. Just think of all the famous landmarks, filled with history, you can visit and explore. Imagine you, standing in the Vatican, seeing the Sistine Chapel or getting a picture of the Leaning Tower of Pisa! This is the trip of a lifetime and you will be shocked how affordable it can be! Plus, the added bonus of honing your favorite craft, with Kaye Wood by your side, makes this trip even more memorable! You can request more information about this fabulous trip by calling toll free, 1-877-887-1188 or visiting the Sew Many Places web site at:

      http://www.sewmanyplaces.com

      List Your Event

      Shows and events are going on all over the U.S. To have us list your event or to check and see if there are some in your area, just click the link below.

      Kaye Wood, Inc.,

      PO Box 456 , West Branch , MI 48661