Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, July 25, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25, 2006
      Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Tuesday, July 25th.

      Kaye Wood's Quilting Newsletter

      Tuesday, July 25th.***Tuesday, July 25th.***Tuesday, July 25th.***Tuesday, July 25th.***Tuesday, July 25th.***Tuesday, July 25th.***Tuesday, July 25th.***Tuesday, July 25th.***Tuesday, July 25th.***Tuesday, July 25th.***Tuesday, July 25th.***Tuesday, July 25th.***Tuesday, July 25th.***Tuesday, July 25th.***

      Hey everyone! I hope you're all having a great week! Things are just peachy keen with us Kaye Wood Inc. girls! Our weekend here was beautiful! I was sitting outside last night, just as the sun was fading to a glittery, golden orange in the western sky. The few clouds there were out, looked as if they had a gold halo around them, tucked in that sky that was oh so blue! I took a couple of deep breaths, completely surrounded by the beautiful smell of my flowers. The breeze was lightly blowing, the birds were chirping, the frogs were croaking. Wait a minute, I'm just about there, just about relaxed when, "MOM" screamed through the house! You guessed it, my daughter with yet another crisis to deal with. I'm not sure, but I think when they say to stop and smell the flowers, they mean for more than a couple of seconds! Take care everyone and have a great week!

      Out of the Cupboard by Beth Ferrier

      Out of the Cupboard and Onto the Bed, Beth Ferrier's first book, is back! This popular book sold out in it's first year on the market, and when you see these quilts, you'll have no problem understanding why! These quilts are made totally out of your stash. Everyone needs to empty their stash sometime, if for nothing else, to have room to store more fabric. When you see these 6 quilt patterns you will have no problem doing just that! Beth makes it easy with all the directions and tips you need to make your quilt a success! This book is fully illustrated, with pictures in color and black and white. It also includes all the paper templates you need for the appliqué. Check it out, this is one book you have to add to your library and I promise, you won't be disappointed!

      New Sale!

      Here is a fun book and template combo brought to you by none other than Brandy! With Brandy's Circle Magic book of patterns and her no math template, the traditional Rob Peter to Pay Paul pattern, is a snap! Comes complete with 8 fully illustrated projects and the fluorescent green acrylic template you need, to make your quilt a success! Plus, when you order it within the next 2 weeks, we will take a $5 discount off this Circle Magic book and tool combo! Just check out below, some of the different variations Brandy has come up with. This offer is good for two weeks so order today!

      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Last week of this monthly special.

      For the month of July, when you spend $25 before s/h, you will receive free with your order, the book Turn Me Over I'm Reversible, by Kaye Wood! Turn Me Over I'm Reversible, is a quick and easy comforter quilt, suitable for skilled or beginning quilters. You can finish your quilt completely, in less than a day, REALLY! Kaye's unique 3 layer quilt-as-you-go construction, makes it the easiest quilt you will ever finish! This book has several reversible baby quilts, full size quilts, wall hangings, and wearables. Turn Me Over includes tips for choosing colors and fabrics, fabric preparation, marking and cutting accuracy, and how to plan your quilt. Techniques include reversible applique, tying quilts, figuring yardage, and how to do borders and bindings. This is a great addition to your library, and it's FREE, when you place an order of $25 or more! This free book will be added to your order in the office, at the time of processing!

      Share With Us!

      1) Everyone is giving hints on cleaning the lint out of our machines. My hint is next time you go to the GYN for your annual pap test, ask for an extra thin-prep Pap brush. They are on long, thin, flexible handles and have soft, conical shaped bristles, that are reusable forever. They can get into every nook and cranny in the machine. When you and your doctor are done with laughing about why you want the brush, your exam is over. You've had your yearly and have a great tool for cleaning out lint. Judi

      2) My thought regarding sewing machines and sergers is to get yourself a can of compressed air. It does a super-dooper job and you don't get any moisture in the moving parts. You can get the cans of air at any Staples store for a very reasonable price. I am also a hooker and when I cut my wool, there is always a buildup of lint in my cutting wheels. It comes out very clean when I use the compressed air on it. Happy Hooking!....Michele M.

      3) In order to keep my foot pedal from sliding while I use my sewing machine, I put an old computer mouse pad underneath it. It really keeps it in place for me while I'm sewing. Zoey

      4) To keep my foot pedal from sliding, I put Velcro on the bottom of it. It grabs the carpet and it can be pulled right up to go different places. Born 2 Quilt! Joyce

      Free Tip

      Here is a question and answer tip from Sulky about thread breakage.

      Q: I have been experiencing problems with my thread breaking lately, what suggestions do you have for solving this?

      A: I'm sorry you experienced some problems with thread breakage. Let's explore some of the common causes of thread breakage.

      1) Needle size is too small. It is particularly important to use a 14/90 sewing, topstitch or embroidery needle with 30 weight rayon or metallic threads. A 12/80 embroidery needle normally can be used with 40 wt. threads. Needles that are labeled "for metallic threads" still need to be 14/90.

      2) A damaged needle. To rule this out as a problem, I always change my needle first, inserting the correct type and size needle for the type and weight of fabric and thread.

      3) Work not hooped tightly enough when doing embroidery. (It should be drum-tight without distorting the fabric.)

      4) Work not stabilized adequately. Some stabilizers on the market today are stiff and unyielding and can cause shredding of the thread as it passes through the stabilizer.

      5) Burrs or rough places along the thread path (such as on the plastic bobbins in many machines).

      6) Bobbin thread too heavy. Use a lightweight thread in the bobbin, either a matching 40 wt. Rayon Bobbin Thread or Polyester Invisible Thread. It is particularly important when using metallics on top, to use the lightest possible thread in the bobbin.

      7) Machine embroidery design may be digitized improperly causing stitches that are too long and/or jerky hoop movements.

      8) Improper threading. When in doubt, rethread.

      9) One of the main causes is having your top tension too tight. You may have a top tension that is tighter than normal. You could have your dealer check it, or lower the top tension slightly and see if this helps. Lowering the top tension is essential when using metallic threads. You may need to lower your tension almost to "0" on some machines.

      10) When all else fails, a thread lubricant or a spray silicone, approved for use on your sewing machine, many times works miracles by helping to ease the thread through rough or tight spots in the thread path. (Check with your sewing machine dealer BEFORE using any lubricant on your machine.)

      Used with permission from Sulky of America.

      http://www.sulky.com

      Ad Swap

      The Cotton Club has been offering the finest in cotton fabric to quilters and sewers since 1984 and now with the advent of the Internet, you can stay on top of the most current fabrics, notions, threads, supplies, gifts and trends just by subscribing to our electronic newsletters. As soon as a newsletter goes out in the mail we also post it electronically. A recent addition to our site has been the perfect Sewing Chair, built just for you and in the USA. To sign up for our newsletter, just go to: http://www.cottonclub.com/free.htm Furthermore, if you send an email with your home address, we will send you a sample issue of The Cotton Club including the 4" squares of fabric. Just go to:

      Show & Tell

      Our first quilt is a total labor of love from a daughter to a mother! I think it's a beautiful quilt and I'm sure her mother is just ecstatic with her special gift! Thank you for sharing it with us!

      I am a new quilter and found the passion for quilting, after just diving in one day to make my first quilt. From there my journey to quilting began.

      One special quilt I made was for my mothers 75th birthday. I told her over the years she labored so much for me that I wanted to make her something special that took my labors of love. She adores it. I made up my own pattern and added the red trim to set it off with elegance. Luv2Qlt

      Our next quilt I just love, it is so eye catching! What a great choice of fabric colors and pattern Diane! Thank you for sharing it with us!

      This quilt features snow white stars in each of the eight points of the star, and also in the four cardinal directions. Colorful three-quarter stars bend around each of the four corners. This wonderful creation is done mainly in a deep, rich burgundy fabric, along with snow white, taupe, chocolate, and midnight black. Among some tribes, white is the color of the north direction, where the powers of healing medicines come from. Diane

      If you'd like to submit your quilt to our Show & Tell page, you can mail a non-returnable picture, along with the story about your quilt, to the address below. 50 words or less please. Your other option is to e-mail your picture and story to Terrye, at the e-mail address below. We'd love the chance to show off your work, so send them in!

      Kaye Wood, C/O Show & Tell

      terrye@...?subject="show_n_tell"

      Upcoming Events

      Come Cruise the Mediterranean with Kaye in 2007!

      Join Kaye Wood and Sew Many Places for a great Mediterranean quilting cruise!

      If the thought of quilting, cruising the Mediterranean and hanging with Kaye, sounds like a lot of fun, than you should get on board! Starting August 28, 2007, spend 13 glorious days on Carnival's brand new cruise ship, the Freedom, cruising the Mediterranean and visiting 10 different ports! Your ship will leave from Rome, Italy and take you to explore other Italian ports such as: Tuscany, Florence, Pisa and Liverno. From there you head to Greece to explore the wonderful sites of Athens and Katakolon. Next, you head to Turkey where you will check out the exotic ports of Istanbul and Izmer. Heading back towards Rome, you will stop again in Greece to the port at Rhodes. From there it's Naples, Italy and once again, Rome. Just think of all the famous landmarks, filled with history, you can visit and explore. Imagine you, standing in the Vatican, seeing the Sistine Chapel or getting a picture of the Leaning Tower of Pisa! This is the trip of a lifetime and you will be shocked how affordable it can be! Plus, the added bonus of honing your favorite craft, with Kaye Wood by your side, makes this trip even more memorable! You can request more information about this fabulous trip by calling toll free, 1-877-887-1188 or visiting the Sew Many Places web site at:

      http://www.sewmanyplaces.com

      Kaye's Quilting Friends TV Show

      Kaye has just wrapped up another taping session of Kaye's Quilting Friends and we think you're going to love it! The first show is due to air on August 13, 2006 and you won't want to miss it! Come meet some of Kaye's "new" Quilting Friends, or just reacquaint yourself with some old ones. Either way, we guarantee lots of new patterns, books and techniques, you're sure to love! Contact your PBS station, to make sure Kaye's Quilting Friends is on their schedule!

      http://www.pbs.org/stationfinder/stationfinder_relocalize.html

      PCM - Sew, Quilt & Embroidery Festival

      Reno, NV

      8/18 thru 8/20, 2006

      Call 775-856-3224 or e-mail http://www.pcmexpo.com/

      Wisconsin Quilt Expo

      Presented by Wisconsin Public Television, Friends of WHA TV and Sewing With Nancy!

      Madison, WI

      9/14 thru 9/16, 2006

      www.wiquiltexpo.com

      American Sewing Expo

      Novi, MI

      9/29 thru 10/1, 2006

      Call 248-889-3111 or e-mail http://www.americansewingexpo.com/

      List Your Event

      Shows and events are going on all over the U.S. To have us list your event or to check and see if there are some in your area, just click the link below.

      Kaye Wood, Inc.,

      PO Box 456 , West Branch , MI 48661