Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, July 18, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 18, 2006
      Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter Tuesday, July 18th.

      Kaye Wood's Quilting Newsletter

      Tuesday, July 18th***Tuesday, July 18th***Tuesday, July 18th***Tuesday, July 18th***Tuesday, July 18th***Tuesday, July 18th***Tuesday, July 18th***Tuesday, July 18th***Tuesday, July 18th***Tuesday, July 18th***Tuesday, July 18th***Tuesday, July 18th***Tuesday, July 18th***

      Hey everyone! Well, I knew I should've kept my mouth shut. I knew as soon as I mentioned we were having such great weather, it would change. So, in honor of the heat and humidity, that makes you sweat by just breathing, we have hot air balloons this week! That's all I have to say about that subject, I'm holding my tongue! I do have one little piece of advice. Stay inside, drink lots of fluids and tune into the latest Kaye's Quilting Friends show! Relax, stay for a spell, get reacquainted, you're going to love what you see! Check your PBS station for current times and listings. Have a great week everyone!

      Check this out!

      If you are a person on the go or know one who is, you have to have the Bottoms-Up Backpack from Cheryl Weiderspahn of Homestead Specialties! This is not your ordinary backpack, the Bottoms-Up totally combines looks, with flexibility. It changes with ease to suit whatever your need happens to be! Use as a purse, overnight bag, gym bag, maybe a diaper bag, the versatility of this bag never ends. Plus, as you've grown to expect from Cheryl's products, you can change this bag around, to have 4 different looks. With the Bottoms-Up and Bottoms-Down option, it allows you to make the backpack smaller or bigger, shallow or deep, it's up to you! So whether you have a student, athlete, or you just carry a lot of stuff, you have to have the Bottoms-Up Backpack. Only available for a limited time, so order today!

      Last week for this fantastic special!

      Check out our shipping special!

      This is the last week for this great shipping special! When you place an order of $40 or more, we will ship your order to you absolutely free! It's not very often you get an opportunity like this, so I urge you to check out your stock and see what you need, because it's the perfect time to save some money! Unfortunately, this offer is good for residents of the United States only. Orders will be adjusted in the office at the time of processing.

      For our Canadian and overseas customers.

      Due to the cost of shipping out of the United States, we cannot extend the free shipping offer. We will however, subtract $2 off your s/h for any order of $40 or more. This will be done in the office at the time of processing.

      Great monthly special!

      For the month of July, when you spend $25 before s/h, you will receive free with your order, the book Turn Me Over I'm Reversible, by Kaye Wood! Turn Me Over I'm Reversible, is a quick and easy comforter quilt, suitable for skilled or beginning quilters. You can finish your quilt completely, in less than a day, REALLY! Kaye's unique 3 layer quilt-as-you-go construction, makes it the easiest quilt you will ever finish! This book has several reversible baby quilts, full size quilts, wall hangings, and wearables. Turn Me Over includes tips for choosing colors and fabrics, fabric preparation, marking and cutting accuracy, and how to plan your quilt. Techniques include reversible applique, tying quilts, figuring yardage, and how to do borders and bindings. This is a great addition to your library, and it's FREE, when you place an order of $25 or more! This free book will be added to your order in the office, at the time of processing!

      Share With Us!

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would like to hear about them. Just e-mail it to me at the address below and it could find a place in our newsletter!

      1) Instead of pins that I always stick myself with, I now use a glue stick, one for fabric that will wash out, instead. It is perfect for seams that you want to match. Just a smidge on one side and then match them together. No pins to take out, just sew. JoAn E. Wenatchee, WA

      2) I, like Joanne, wash, dry, iron and fold my fabric after I purchase it. I also snip off a corner of each fabric, so that I know that one was done. Then, I put the corner into a small photo album. I can group the samples by color, designer or project, and take it with me when shopping or shop hopping! It works very well for me. That way I also don't duplicate fabrics I already have. Libby

      3) Hello! While shopping at a local G.I. Joe store for auto things, I came across a fantastic little tool. It is a detail brush for car dashes. However, it makes a wonderful lint and thread brush for the sewing machine! One end is a small brush and the opposite end is the small, red, dust mop. Works wonders and is very inexpensive at just $2.99. Sharon B. Lakewood, WA

      4) I was just at the hardware store and found a pack of 12, small artist brushes for $1.79. I use these handy little brushes to clean lint and etc. from my bobbin area. I was told never to blow into that area, as there is moisture in your breath. We all know, what moisture does to the fine parts of our machines. I found the brushes at the hardware, much cheaper than other places. Happy Quilting, Mary Lou

      Show & Tell

      Our first wonderful quilt, actually comes from a mistake! If only my mistakes looked this good! As you can see from the beautiful jacket, it didn't take Patricia long to get back on track. Thank you Patricia, for sharing your beautiful wall hanging and jacket with us!

      As my first strip-quilting project, I decided to make a Thai silk jacket. Twenty-four strip-quilted diamonds later, I realized I didn't have uniform shapes. My misshaped diamonds became a wall decoration, and I decided to try again. This time, I used cotton fabric, measured, stitched, and cut carefully. Success, a jacket! Patricia Mitchell

      Our next awesome quilt, is a wonderful tribute to an obviously well loved teacher in Mary's hometown! At a time when teachers are somewhat underrated, she had to be just ecstatic to receive this! Way to make at least one teacher feel very special and loved Mary! Thanks for sharing this with us!

      I used one of Kaye's patterns to make an appreciation gift for my children's band and orchestra teacher. The close-up photo shows where I've used embroidery to represent the four areas she teaches: Concert and symphonic band, orchestra, jazz band and music theory.

      My son plays tuba, and tuba was his teacher's own specialty, so that is why I featured the sousaphone (that's a marching tuba) in the center. I can't wait to see her reaction tonight at the band banquet. Thank you, Kaye, for the project idea! Mary D.

      To check out more of our readers wonderful quilts, just click the link!

      If you'd like to submit your quilt to our Show & Tell page, you can mail a non-returnable picture, along with the story about your quilt, to the address below. 50 words or less please. Your other option is to e-mail your picture and story to Terrye, at the e-mail address below. We'd love the chance to show off your work, so send them in!

      Kaye Wood, C/O Show & Tell

      terrye@...?subject="show_n_tell"

      Upcoming Events

      Come Cruise the Mediterranean with Kaye in 2007!

      Join Kaye Wood and Sew Many Places for a great Mediterranean quilting cruise!

      If the thought of quilting, cruising the Mediterranean and hanging with Kaye, sounds like a lot of fun, than you should get on board! Starting August 28, 2007, spend 13 glorious days on Carnival's brand new cruise ship, the Freedom, cruising the Mediterranean and visiting 10 different ports! Your ship will leave from Rome, Italy and take you to explore other Italian ports such as: Tuscany, Florence, Pisa and Liverno. From there you head to Greece to explore the wonderful sites of Athens and Katakolon. Next, you head to Turkey where you will check out the exotic ports of Istanbul and Izmer. Heading back towards Rome, you will stop again in Greece to the port at Rhodes. From there it's Naples, Italy and once again, Rome. Just think of all the famous landmarks, filled with history, you can visit and explore. Imagine you, standing in the Vatican, seeing the Sistine Chapel or getting a picture of the Leaning Tower of Pisa! This is the trip of a lifetime and you will be shocked how affordable it can be! Plus, the added bonus of honing your favorite craft, with Kaye Wood by your side, makes this trip even more memorable! You can request more information about this fabulous trip by calling toll free, 1-877-887-1188 or visiting the Sew Many Places web site at:

      http://www.sewmanyplaces.com

      Kaye's Quilting Friends TV Show

      Kaye has just wrapped up another taping session of Kaye's Quilting Friends and we think you're going to love it! The first show is due to air on August 13, 2006 and you won't want to miss it! Come meet some of Kaye's "new" Quilting Friends, or just reacquaint yourself with some old ones. Either way, we guarantee lots of new patterns, books and techniques, you're sure to love! Contact your PBS station, to make sure Kaye's Quilting Friends is on their schedule!

      http://www.pbs.org/stationfinder/stationfinder_relocalize.html

      PCM - Sew, Quilt & Embroidery Festival

      Reno, NV

      8/18 thru 8/20, 2006

      Call 775-856-3224 or e-mail http://www.pcmexpo.com/

      Wisconsin Quilt Expo

      Presented by Wisconsin Public Television, Friends of WHA TV and Sewing With Nancy!

      Madison, WI

      9/14 thru 9/16, 2006

      www.wiquiltexpo.com

      American Sewing Expo

      Novi, MI

      9/29 thru 10/1, 2006

      Call 248-889-3111 or e-mail http://www.americansewingexpo.com/

      List Your Event

      Shows and events are going on all over the U.S. To have us list your event or to check and see if there are some in your area, just click the link below.

      Kaye Wood, Inc.,

      PO Box 456 , West Branch , MI 48661