Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, July 11, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2006
      Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Tuesday, July 11th.

      Kaye Wood's Quilting Newsletter

      Tuesday, July 11th.***Tuesday, July 11th.***Tuesday, July 11th.***Tuesday, July 11th.***Tuesday, July 11th.***Tuesday, July 11th.***Tuesday, July 11th.***Tuesday, July 11th.***Tuesday, July 11th.***Tuesday, July 11th.***Tuesday, July 11th.***Tuesday, July 11th.***Tuesday, July 11th.***

      I officially declare this, the best summer weather of all time! It has been a beautiful summer thus far in Northern Michigan! The temperatures have been a steady 80-85 degrees, with just a little in the way of humidity and rain. My flowers are thriving, my grass is still green, my air conditioner is still off, I am one happy camper! I love that you can still be outside and do stuff, but not have the sun beat you down to a crisp! Yep, the dog days of summer haven't gotten here yet and as far as I'm concerned, they can keep barking at the door! Have a great week!

      If you are a skirt lover, than this is the pattern for you! Keeping up to date with the fashions of today, "Skirting the Issue", only looks difficult to make. Whether it be casual use or formal, you pick the fabrics to accent the occasion. No complicated zipper or waistbands to put in, just a comfortable elastic waist for making and wearing with ease. This beautiful flowing skirt is flattering to all sizes, but with the flared open hem and the vertical seams, attention is drawn away from the waist and hips, giving a more slender appearance. The sheer layer on the bottom floats softly around your ankles, giving you that oh so feminine feel!

      With this easy to follow pattern, all you have to do is determine how many panels to make, based on your measurements! Pattern includes sizes XS through XXL! Also, there are instructions for changing your hem 6 different ways, to give your skirt 6 different looks! Whether you make this for you, a granddaughter going to school or just a good friend, this skirt will be one of your all time favorites for the upcoming fall weather. This pattern is available for a limited time only, so order today.

      New Special!

      Check out our shipping special!

      This week we're kickin' in summer with a bang and what better way than with free shipping! For the next 2 weeks when you place an order of $40 or more, we will ship it to you absolutely free! It's not very often you get an opportunity like this, so I urge you to check out your stock and see what you need, because it's the perfect time to save some money! Unfortunately, this offer is good for residents of the United States only. Orders will be adjusted in the office at the time of processing.

      For our Canadian and overseas customers.

      Due to the cost of shipping out of the United States, we cannot extend the free shipping offer. We will however, subtract $2 off your s/h for any order of $40 or more. This will be done in the office at the time of processing.

      New monthly special!

      For the month of July, when you spend $25 before s/h, you will receive free with your order, the book Turn Me Over I'm Reversible, by Kaye Wood! Turn Me Over I'm Reversible, is a quick and easy comforter quilt, suitable for skilled or beginning quilters. You can finish your quilt completely, in less than a day, REALLY! Kaye's unique 3 layer quilt-as-you-go construction, makes it the easiest quilt you will ever finish! This book has several reversible baby quilts, full size quilts, wall hangings, and wearables. Turn Me Over includes tips for choosing colors and fabrics, fabric preparation, marking and cutting accuracy, and how to plan your quilt. Techniques include reversible applique, tying quilts, figuring yardage, and how to do borders and bindings. This is a great addition to your library, and it's FREE, when you place an order of $25 or more! This free book will be added to your order in the office, at the time of processing!

      Share With Us!

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would like to hear about them. Just e-mail it to me at the address below and it could find a place in our newsletter!

      joyce@...?subject=sharewithus

      1) I always try to wash, iron and fold my fabrics as I get them. The problem is, I sometimes buy too many to keep track of. Now, after I buy and wash them, I pin a safety pin on the corner of the fabric. This takes away any guess work involved and I have no problem seeing which has been washed and which is still waiting on me to get to it. Joanne

      2) I usually use chalk when having to mark a fabric. When it comes time for the chalk to be removed, I just use an old toothbrush. The chalk brushes right off and does not harm the fabric. Oh and a soft toothbrush seems to work best for me. Margaret

      3) I heard and I can't remember where, to take your needle and run it through your hair. The oil from your hair will help keep it sharp and go through the material easier. Well, I tried it and definitely noticed a difference! Louise

      The Survey Says...

      In our last letter, we had another one of our famous surveys. We like to do these from time to time so we can get to know all of you better. This one really seemed to interest tons of our subscribers who were kind enough to respond. A big thanks to all of you who took the time to participate! Here is the question:

      1) At what age did you learn to quilt?

      2) Have you passed your love of quilting on to anyone else?

      This is how it broke down. The majority of the people who responded, learned how to quilt between the ages of 51- 60. Following a close second, is the ages of 41-50. Our third runner up surprisingly, is the age of 10 years old or younger! This was amazing to me. I tried to remember what I did at the age of 10 and I know it was nothing as hard as trying to quilt! My hat goes off to you ladies! We also had some who bravely undertook the art of quilting, between the ages of 71-80 and just love it! You go girls! A lot of you started sewing at a very young age and then quilted later in life.

      Our second question also had a number of various responses. But the one to lead the pack was passing it onto a daughter, followed close by a grandchild. Friends, sons and grandsons followed next. A great number of you take the time to pass it onto people though various charities and organizations. Some include, Adult Ed, 4-H students, senior centers, Vacation Bible School and a prison for women. All in all, the comments are the same. You love your quilting and everything about it! Thanks to all of you who have and will pass it on. You are creating the quilters of the future, keeping a proud and time honored tradition going strong! Keep up the great work all of you and thanks again for participating.

      Show & Tell

      This fabulous quilt is sent to us from Armatha G. She came up with this great idea to help celebrate her churches 100th anniversary! I think this is a great idea for a church, school or family tree! I think you've started a new trend Armatha! Thanks for sharing this beautiful quilt with us.

      Three years ago, my church celebrated it's 100th anniversary. I asked each member to bring me a piece of green material 7 x 7 for each member of their family. I machine embroidered each name to the material, washed the material, then cut it out in a leaf shape. I machine appliquéed the leaves to an off white background material. I used "bark" material for the tree, the grass area has the name of my church and the date and the root system has the names of the 37 men and women who started the church in 1903. It has been been enjoyed by family members and guests of the church. Hanging beside the quilt is a booklet with each persons name in it and the location of their leaf on the tree.

      Armatha G.

      To check out more of our readers wonderful quilts, just click the link!

      If you'd like to submit your quilt to our Show & Tell page, you can mail a non-returnable picture, along with the story about your quilt, to the address below. 50 words or less please. Your other option is to e-mail your picture and story to Terrye, at the e-mail address below. We'd love the chance to show off your work, so send them in!

      Kaye Wood, C/O Show & Tell

      terrye@...?subject="show_n_tell"

      Upcoming Events

      Come Cruise the Mediterranean with Kaye in 2007!

      Join Kaye Wood and Sew Many Places for a great Mediterranean quilting cruise!

      If the thought of quilting, cruising the Mediterranean and hanging with Kaye, sounds like a lot of fun, than you should get on board! Starting August 28, 2007, spend 13 glorious days on Carnival's brand new cruise ship, the Freedom, cruising the Mediterranean and visiting 10 different ports! Your ship will leave from Rome, Italy and take you to explore other Italian ports such as: Tuscany, Florence, Pisa and Liverno. From there you head to Greece to explore the wonderful sites of Athens and Katakolon. Next, you head to Turkey where you will check out the exotic ports of Istanbul and Izmer. Heading back towards Rome, you will stop again in Greece to the port at Rhodes. From there it's Naples, Italy and once again, Rome. Just think of all the famous landmarks, filled with history, you can visit and explore. Imagine you, standing in the Vatican, seeing the Sistine Chapel or getting a picture of the Leaning Tower of Pisa! This is the trip of a lifetime and you will be shocked how affordable it can be! Plus, the added bonus of honing your favorite craft, with Kaye Wood by your side, makes this trip even more memorable! You can request more information about this fabulous trip by calling toll free, 1-877-887-1188 or visiting the Sew Many Places web site at:

      http://www.sewmanyplaces.com

      Kaye's Quilting Friends TV Show

      Kaye has just wrapped up another taping session of Kaye's Quilting Friends and we think you're going to love it! The first show is due to air on August 13, 2006 and you won't want to miss it! Come meet some of Kaye's "new" Quilting Friends, or just reacquaint yourself with some old ones. Either way, we guarantee lots of new patterns, books and techniques, you're sure to love! Contact your PBS station, to make sure Kaye's Quilting Friends is on their schedule!

      http://www.pbs.org/stationfinder/stationfinder_relocalize.html

      PCM - Sew, Quilt & Embroidery Festival

      Reno, NV

      8/18 thru 8/20, 2006

      Call 775-856-3224 or e-mail http://www.pcmexpo.com/

      Wisconsin Quilt Expo

      Presented by Wisconsin Public Television, Friends of WHA TV and Sewing With Nancy!

      Madison, WI

      9/14 thru 9/16, 2006

      www.wiquiltexpo.com

      American Sewing Expo

      Novi, MI

      9/29 thru 10/1, 2006

      Call 248-889-3111 or e-mail http://www.americansewingexpo.com/

      List Your Event

      Shows and events are going on all over the U.S. To have us list your event or to check and see if there are some in your area, just click the link below.

      Kaye Wood, Inc.,

      PO Box 456 , West Branch , MI 48661