Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, June 13, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13, 2006
      Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Tuesday, June 13th.

      Kaye Wood's Quilting Newsletter

      Tuesday, June 13th.***Tuesday, June 13th.***Tuesday, June 13th.***Tuesday, June 13th.***Tuesday, June 13th.***Tuesday, June 13th.***Tuesday, June 13th.***Tuesday, June 13th.***Tuesday, June 13th.***Tuesday, June 13th.***Tuesday, June 13th.***

      In case you've forgotten, this Sunday is Father's Day! Did you know the first Father's Day was observed on June 19th, 1910? Then in 1924, President Coolidge gave his support of a national day. It wasn't until 1966 though, that President Johnson signed a presidential decree, declaring the third Sunday of June as Father's Day. What constitutes as a father has changed over the years, but I think any man who makes a difference for the better, in your families life, should be honored. Stepfathers, uncles, brothers or a special friend, are all people to be considered. So take a minute, to honor all of the special men in your life, who have taken the time for you!

      Attention all sbcglobal.net e-mail subscribers!

      We have been getting a number of e-mails from subscribers, saying they are receiving the newsletter 8 times or more when we send it out. Terrye has been working on it and has discovered, the only people having this problem are sbcglobal.net subscribers. Terrye has tried to contact the SBC Global people a number of times, and still hasn't received a response. Terrye requests that you also contact SBC Global with the hopes that one of us gets through. We apologize for the inconvenience and although the fault does not lie with us, we are trying to help with the problem. Thank you for your patience!

      Check This Out!

      Have you ever yearned to know, just how grandma used to make her quilts? Than this is the book for you! Back to Basics by Pat Yamin, is the how-to manual for cutting old-time patchwork patterns, with the templates and rotary techniques of today! This book is full of patchwork ideas and easy-to-sew patterns! Back to Basics has 111 pages and contains 175 block patterns! The best thing of all is they're made from just 3 basic blocks, the math has already been done! Take a walk back in time with these traditional patterns that never go out of style. Click on the link for more information!

      http://www.kayewood.com/onlinecat/k1612.html

      Here are some of the beautiful patterns available in Back to Basics.

      While Supplies Last

      To show our customers how much we appreciate them, we are putting this one of a kind book on sale, while supplies last, just for you!

      If you love the textured look of antique quilts, but don't have a clue how to create it, this is the book you must have! Surface Textures by Anita Shackelford has everything you will ever need to know, to replicate the beautiful antique quilts of yesterday! This hardcover book has more than 175 color photos and 48+ different and wonderful designs. You will learn how to use the techniques of cording, stuffing, padding and fine background quilting, to add texture to any quilt surface. Also included are 35 pages of paper patterns, to go with each and every project! It's time to take your quilts to the next level and this book will show you how! Yours for this short time for $15.95, but only available while supplies last, so order today!

      http://www.kayewood.com/clearance.html

      Last week for this great sale!

      Since diamonds have been so popular lately, that's our theme for this special. For the next week, when you purchase Kaye's View & Do Diamond Shape, you can pick up any of the corresponding patterns for half price! Already have the diamond shape? Then you can buy one diamond pattern and get another for half price! Any way you look at it, diamonds have never been so affordable, so order today!

      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Special #1

      Buy this shape and get any of the corresponding diamond patterns below for half price!

      P308-Diamonds of Yellowstone**P301-Dimensional Diamonds**P302-Diamonds in Motion

      Special #2

      Already have the diamond shape? Then buy 1 pattern at full price and get another at half price!

      New Monthly Special!

      For the month of June only, when you spend $12, (not including s/h) we will give you FREE, Kaye's Stardust Quilt booklet. This pattern is total Log Cabin Diamonds, that can be strip pieced and combined into tumbling blocks, 6 pointed stars, hexagons or a full size quilt. Originally retails for $8, you can get this classic, one of the first patterns by Kaye Wood, free with any order of $12 or more. This value is good for the whole month and is a must have for your Kaye Wood collection, so order today.

      The Survey Says...

      In last weeks letter, we had another one of our famous surveys. This is a great way to get to know our readers and it's wonderful, the way so many of you respond. Thanks to all who participated.

      Q: Would you rather create your own pattern and color combinations, or have a pattern to go by?

      The results are in and here is what we came up with. 1 in about 10 of you, make up your own pattern. Out of the 9 that use a pattern, half use their own colors rather than the suggested colors. Thanks again for your participation!

      Show & Tell

      Our first quilt, is a wonderful photo quilt, made by Cheryl H. for her in-laws 50th anniversary! What better way to capture all the years they've been together! I'm sure this beautiful quilt, will be a treasured gift forever and I certainly hope, it's not the last one you make! Thanks for sharing it with us Cheryl!

      This quilt is a special 50th anniversary quilt, that was made for my in-laws at the end of March. First I placed photos of family and friends in the middle of all the star blocks. Then I machine quilted in the ditch and stippled all the white diamonds, where the blocks came together. This is the first quilt of this size that I have finished and I was so happy that they loved it! Cheryl H.

      Our next quilt, is a fabulous keepsake quilt, that Ramona M. made for her husband, for Father's Day! I love the way she highlighted the details of her family into it! This will be a great quilt to start a, "passing on" tradition and I'm sure your husband absolutely loved it! Thanks for sharing it with us Ramona!

      I would like to share with you, a quilt that I made for my husband, for Father's Day last year. I call it "Angels Among Us". The center block was hand drawn, using two different pictures. One is a picture of my husband and me, the other was my son's school picture, from the year I started this quilt. (2003) Three corner squares have our first name on them and the year we were born. The last corner block, has our last name on it. The angels all have different colored hair and are appliquéed onto red and green, quarter square triangles. It was stitched in the ditch and free motion quilted, in the center square. The feathered hearts were quilted and then painted, to bring out the stitches. Thanks for letting me share a quilt I'm proud to have done, for that special man in my life. Enjoy!!! Ramona M.

      To check out more of our readers wonderful quilts, just click the link!

      If you'd like to submit your quilt to our Show & Tell page, you can mail a non-returnable picture, along with the story about your quilt, to the address below. 50 words or less please. Your other option is to e-mail your picture and story to Terrye, at the e-mail address below. We'd love the chance to show off your work for you, so send them in!

      Kaye Wood, C/O Show & Tell

      terrye@...?subject="show_n_tell"

      Upcoming Events

      Alaskan Quilting Cruise Update

      I'd like to thank Round Bobbin for inviting me to teach on their 4th annual cruise, this latest one to Alaska.

      A special thanks to Judy and Cindy at Round Bobbin for asking me to be part of this beautiful, wonderful time.

      Our first stop was Hubbard Glacier. We came within 300 yds of the glacier. Absolutely Fantastic! The calving was spectacular. Our group picture was taken in front of this magnificent glacier.

      The next stop was Juneau where we visited the local quilt shop, Changing Tides. What a fantastic shop, Jan Mardone, the owner, has done a wonderful job. Lots of great Alaskan themed prints had to be aquired, and all of our quilters were generously rewarded with a goodie bag from her shop.

      Then on to Sitka, another day of unseasonably warm sunny weather. There we visited Quilt Works, the local quilt shop where we found specially designed Sitka fabric. I met a local designer, Lisa Moore, a very talented lady who has a beautiful pattern line. Jill Scheidt, the owner of this shop, along with Lisa designed the Sitka fabric.

      Ketchikan was our last Alaskan stop, where we found a jewel of a quilt shop, The Silver Thimble. Chock full of Alaskan themed fabrics, this was the final stop that made the seams burst in my suitcase! The owner, Betty Gale, was gracious and friendly.

      Our last stop was in beautiful Victoria, British Columbia, where we spent the evening blessed with more sunny weather.

      Our quilt classes onboard were held during our at sea days, quilters came from all over, a most interesting group. They were kept them busy with a variety of classes as well as hands on projects.

      The ship was beautiful, entertainment was fantastic, and of course the food was great, but that goes without saying. A lot of new friendships were created.

      A special thanks to our dinner companions, the ladies at table 135 for making our trip more fun; Trish, Pat, Charlie, and Judy.

      -Kaye

      Watch our newsletter and cruise page for dates and locations of future cruises.

      http://www.kayewood.com/cruise.html

      Kaye's Quilting Friends TV Show

      Everyone get ready! Kaye is in the studio starting on Wednesday, to film another series of Kaye's Quilting Friends! Kaye has some great things in store, with some new faces on the show and also some favorite past guests, with brand new ideas! Anyway you look at it, it's going to be a great new series! We'll keep you posted on any new developments.

      PCM - Premiere Sew, Quilt & Embroidery Festival

      Saratoga Springs, NY

      7/7 thru 7/9, 2006

      Call 775-856-3224 or e-mail http://www.pcmexpo.com

      PCM - Sew, Quilt & Embroidery Festival

      Reno, NV

      8/18 thru 8/20, 2006

      Call 775-856-3224 or e-mail http://www.pcmexpo.com/

      List Your Event

      Shows and events are going on all over the U.S. To have us list your event or to check and see if there are some in your area, just click the link below.

      Ad Swap

      Would you like to the chance to expand your newsletter coverage? Get it out to more people? Well, swap ads with us! Just click the link to contact Terrye, if you are interested.

      terrye@...?subject=newsletterswap

      Kaye Wood, Inc.,

      PO Box 456 , West Branch , MI 48661

      Another Site You May Enjoy!

      Visit the FAT QUARTER SHOP for the largest online selection of fat quarter bundles, free quilt patterns & original quilt kits. They are having the largest BLOWOUT SALE of the year right now. Click here for sale items: http://www.fatquartershop.com/nl.asp?p=0&c=21

      Sign up for their free quilting newsletter to be eligible for a free $30 Gift Certificate (from Fat Quarter Shop)! They send a weekly newsletter with the newest quilting fabrics on the market and special sales! Free US Shipping on orders over $200! Check it out by clicking the link. http://www.fatquartershop.com/

      To sign up for their free newsletter, click this link. http://www.fatquartershop.com/newsletter.asp