Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, May 24, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2006
      Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter Wednesday, May 24th.

      Kaye Wood's Quilting Newsletter

      Wednesday, May 24th.***Wednesday, May 24th.***Wednesday, May 24th.***Wednesday, May 24th.***Wednesday, May 24th.***Wednesday, May 24th.***Wednesday, May 24th.***Wednesday, May 24th.***

      Hello everyone! It's great to be back in touch with all of you! I apologize for not having a newsletter last week. Some of you might have already heard that Kaye has had a death in her family. Things were put on hold, to help Kaye and her family in whatever capacity was needed. Please keep Kaye and her family in your thoughts and prayers.

      To download this newsletter, just click on the link.

      Check This Out!

      Brand new to Kaye's Quilting Friends, we have the pattern Victorian Elegance by Linda Everhart! This quilt measuring 73 x 91, was designed using fused, reversed applique for the burgundy blocks. The remaining cut out is fused, applique on white, making the second block. Voila! You have a 2 for 1 block! Comes complete with supply list, fabric requirements, paper template and easy to follow instructions! You will love how this quilt adds a little "Victorian Elegance" anywhere in your home! Video and DVD of this episode of Kaye's Quilting Friends are also available. Click the link for more information.

      New Special!

      Special s/h fees on this pattern!

      Here from Betty Cotton and The Cotton Theory, we have the pattern Courthouse Steps! This is like no other Courthouse Steps pattern you've tried before. This pattern is a great scrappy quilt that comes with instructions for table runners, all the way up to a king sized bed quilt! Using Betty's fold and finish procedure, you can easily have folded seam allowances on both sides. The Cotton Theory methods make quilting easy, no matter what size your quilt is! With this pattern, you quilt each piece individually before you construct your project. Quilting now becomes just as enjoyable as piecing together the design! It's fast, fun and completely unique! For the next two weeks this is the deal, so order today!

      99 cent s/h for the Courthouse Steps pattern-US residents.

      $1.99 s/h for the Courthouse Steps pattern-Canadian residents.

      Overseas customers, actual s/h.

      Time is running out for this great monthly sale!

      Due to the overwhelming response to the Kaye Wood Star Potholder project, that appeared in the magazine, For Love of Quilting by Fons and Porter, we are offering the complete, Stars Made Simple Book and the View & Do Hexagon Shape, at the value price of $22.95 for both! Stars Made Simple includes the star potholder project, plus 26 other fun projects! Projects include potholders, placemats, tablerunners, Christmas tree skirts and of course, quilts! With Stars Made Simple and the View and Do Hexagon Shape, you'll soon be making stars that you've only dreamed about! This book is great for beginners and the advanced alike and totally suitable for the pointless person in all of us! So check it out and order it while you can!

      Here are some of the wonderful projects in Stars Made Simple!

      Just Ask Kaye!

      Q: I have a twin, quilt top finished and I am going to machine quilt it. I'm planning to stitch a 1/4 inch around the inside of each square. My question is this. When I reach the point where I started, do I back stitch so it doesn't come undone where I cut my thread, or go on to the next square?

      K: If I were you, I would lock the stitches rather than doing a back stitch.

      Q: I have a Janome Memory Craft 10001 and I use both the sewing and embroidery functions. I'm comfortable with my embroidery thread selection, but I'm not sure what types of threads I should use for piecing and machine-quilting quilts. Does Kaye prefer any special brand?

      K: Any long staple cotton thread should work fine, such as Gutermann.

      Q: I am making a Grandmother's Flower Basket Medallion style quilt. Is there a different way to quilt the center panel of hexagons, except a 1/4" inside each little hex? I have never seen it any other way.

      K: I think that a circular pattern would be nice, as long as it fits within the design.

      Share With Us

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would like to hear about them. Just e-mail it to Terrye at the address below and it could find a place in our newsletter!

      Here are some tips our readers sent in. Thanks for taking the time to share them with us, we appreciate it!

      1) This is in reference to the cutting off of the selvedge in our last e-mail when pre-washing material. Before I pre-wash my material I run a row of serging across the unfinished edges. If it is material I can straighten by pulling the thread I do that first. No more threads to unravel. I know the edges are straight and it is ready for use when I am ready.

      2) When I knit or crochet, I keep the yarn in the plastic bag it comes in or a regular quart or gallon storage bag. Then I use the yarn from the center of the skein. This keeps the yarn clean and not tangled. Ruth

      3) I use garbage bag twists to keep my bobbin and spool thread together when not using them. They are long enough to string both and can be reused many times. Ethel

      Upcoming Events

      The Alaskan wilderness will never be the same! Sail away with Kaye and the Alaskan Quilting Cruise!

      Kaye is getting all the kits and supplies packed for the upcoming Alaskan Quilting Cruise! Fellow cruisers, be ready to have a fantastic time while Kaye's fun classes keep you busy inside and the scenery outside takes your breath away!

      Alaskan Quilting Cruise

      6/4 thru 6/11, 2006

      Call 1-800-784-4480 or e-mail http://www.roundbobbin.com/cruise2006.htm

      PCM - Sew & Quilt Festival

      Saratoga Springs, NY

      7/7 thru 7/9, 2006

      Call 775-856-3224 or e-mail http://www.pcmexpo.com

      PCM Expo

      Reno, NV

      8/18 thru 8/20, 2006

      Call 775-856-3224 or e-mail http://www.pcmexpo.com/

      Here is a beautiful quilt that two friends, Betty and Eva, shared in the making of. I guess sometimes, two heads can be better than one, when the end result is this wonderful! Thank you both so much, for sharing this with us! I'm sure it will bring in a lot of bids at your auction!

      My friend Eva at age 90, made 32 yellow flower squares. When she was going on 92, she decided she wouldn't use them and gave them to me. I made the little quilt and hand quilted it. Eva was delighted, and the quilt will be raffled at our DKG conference. Betty and Eva

      Our next quilter Juju, shows what you can do with determination, skill and love. She's new at quilt restoring, but her results make it seem as if she's done it forever! Great job Juju and thank you for sharing this with us!

      As you can see, I have a mess in the photos above and I'm trying to repair the quilt for my husband's niece. I have made 8 quilts and this is my second repair. Juju

      To check out more of our readers wonderful quilts, just click the link!

      If you'd like to submit your quilt for our Show & Tell page, read on!

      We now have a page to feature your favorite quilts called Show & Tell! Just snail mail or e-mail us a non-returnable picture, along with a description in 50 words or less of the story behind your quilt. Each week we will feature a different one in our newsletter! Don't miss out on the chance to, "toot your own horn" a little bit! You can send us your letters to the address below, or e-mail your picture and story to Terrye, at the e-mail address below.

      Kaye Wood

      C/O Show & Tell

      List Your Event

      Shows and events are going on all over the U.S. To have us list your event or to check and see if there are some in your area, just click the link below.

      Ad Swap

      There’s a new quilting magazine in town. Come by and see what's going on! http://cottonspice.com

      Kaye Wood, Inc., PO Box 456 , West Branch , MI 48661