Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, April 4, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4 7:25 AM
      Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Tuesday, April 4th.

      Kaye Wood's Quilting Newsletter

      Tuesday, April 4th.***Tuesday, April 4th.***Tuesday, April 4th.***Tuesday, April 4th.***Tuesday, April 4th.***Tuesday, April 4th.***Tuesday, April 4th.***Tuesday, April 4th.***Tuesday, April 4th.***Tuesday, April 4th.***Tuesday, April 4th.***Tuesday, April 4th.***Tuesday, April 4th.***Tuesday, April 4th.***Tuesday, April 4th.***Tuesday, April 4th.***

      Hey everyone! I hope you all remembered to change your clocks this weekend. Even after I reminded all of you in the newsletter, I still did not remember to change my clock! I woke up, rushed my daughter out of bed and into her church clothes, drove like a maniac arriving bleary eyed, not yet having had coffee, and what do I find? Why everyone was leaving of course! My daughter gave me one of those looks that only a preteen can come up with, went to say something and must've seen the look on my face. To her credit, she used her brain instead of her mouth and didn't say a word. We just turned the car around and went back home. Happy daylight savings time! We at least made it to school and work on time today! Have a great week!

      To download this newsletter, just click on the link.

      New to the Kaye Wood pattern line we have Diamonds of Yellowstone! Wander with Kaye into Yellowstone Park to see the native animals fussy-cut into different sized diamonds, to create a dimensional landscape. A great way to highlight a hobby or something you love. Picture bright colored ABC blocks for a kids room or different fish for your husbands den. The possibilities are endless if you think about it! Click the link for more information.

      What's On Sale?

      Strip Quilting Books 2 thru 8 for $3 apiece!

      Here is a great special at the lowest price you will find all year. For the next two weeks, you can get Kaye's own Strip Quilting books, numbered 2 thru 8, for $3 apiece! This is the best bargain of the year on some oldies but goodies, so take advantage of this great special!

      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      All of these books have peek pages where you can see some of the projects included in the book and full descriptions of the book. Just click the link below and put the strip quilting book title in the search box.

      http://www.kayewood.com

      New Monthly Special!

      Last but not least, for this month we are selling Strip Quilting Projects 9 and Strip Quilting Projects 10, for $7 apiece! This is a total savings of $10 when you buy them both! A great addition, especially if you have any of the other strip quilting books!

      Strip Quilting Projects 9 features a wonderful Victorian Sampler quilt. 12 different blocks shown in full color, trimmed with laces, ribbons and decorative machine stitching. Techniques include kaleidoscope, bias tubes, half-squares, quarter-squares and stripped stars. Also, as with all of Kaye's books, fabric preparation, measuring and cutting tips, along with sewing and pressing advice, are included. Easy enough for a beginner, challenging enough for the more advanced, Strip Quilting 9 will prove to be one of your favorites! For this month, Strip Quilting 9 can be yours for $7 plus s/h!

      In Strip Quilting Projects 10, Kaye shows you how to strip cut rectangles, squares, diamonds, stars, triangles, and chevrons, to name a few. Also learn Seminole piecing and wedges to create beautiful quilts that are fast and easy. Patterns include; Trip Around the World, Bargello, Diamond Placemats, Pinwheels, Seminole Bands and Spiderwebs & Stars, among others. Lots of techniques including borders, bindings and even how to hang your quilt. A great way to round off your Kaye Wood Strip Quilting book collection and for this month, it's only $7 plus s/h.

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would like to hear about them. Based upon your response, "Share With Us" might find a permanent place in our newsletter. So think about it. If you've got a tid-bit or idea you'd like to share, e-mail it to Terrye at the address below.

      terrye@...?subject=sharewithus

      Here are some tips our readers sent in. Thanks for taking the time to share them with us, we appreciate it!

      1: I keep my ironing board set at a low level and set it up behind or beside me when I'm working. It's great as an extra work space when I'm not pressing seams. I know some suggest you get up to press to avoid sitting too long. I use TiVo as a timer, when one quilting program is over I take a stretch break. Lynn

      2: When using strips for quilts, hang them on a clothes hanger to keep them straight. If there are many of them, you can put them on a rack used for drying clothes. If put in the order that they are to be sewn, then you just need to pick up and sew. Mary

      3: When using invisible thread in hand stitching, I thread the needle as usual. Then I place a small piece of invisible type tape, folded over the thread next to the spool, then cut the thread from the spool, on the spool side of the tape. This leaves the tape in approximately the spot where you would usually have a knot. I have never been able to put a knot in the invisible thread any other way. The tape lets you see the end of the thread when taking the first stitch, which I lock into place before proceeding to sew. I have hand quilted 2 baby quilts with invisible thread and found this method to be helpful. Happy quilting!! Al & Marlene

      4: As you know during the sewing of a quilt, you would like the iron on. Sometimes I would forget to turn it off when I was done. Now I plug my iron in the same outlet that is used for the light. This way when I leave the room and turn off the light, I am also turning off the iron. This works for me and I have not left the iron on once since. Eileen

      5: When getting ready to sew binding on a quilt, I have found that taping a plastic bag under the front of my sewing machine to put the binding in, keeps it neat and easy to use. Also, if I have a drawer in front, I just open the drawer and lay the binding in there, after I have wound it in a neat bundle. Mary Ann

      Show & Tell

      Here is a beautiful memory quilt made by Arlene. What a great way to share your family history and keep it alive! I'm sure your family will enjoy it for years to come! Thank you so much for sharing it with us Arlene!

      I took an early retirement in order to finish this family history quilt for my Mother's 85th birthday. I am so glad, as she died 11 months later. However, she enjoyed it for the time she had it.

      To check out more of our readers wonderful quilts, just click the link!

      If you'd like to submit your quilt for our Show & Tell page, read on!

      We now have a page to feature your favorite quilts called Show & Tell! Just snail mail or e-mail us a non-returnable picture, along with a description in 50 words or less of the story behind your quilt. Each week we will feature a different one in our newsletter! Don't miss out on the chance to, "toot your own horn" a little bit! You can send us your letters to the address below, or e-mail your picture and story to Terrye, at the e-mail address below.

      Kaye Wood

      C/O Show & Tell

      terrye@...?subject="show_n_tell"

      News from Ami Simms and the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative

      There are 27 little quilts up for auction at www.AlzQuilts.org right now and all profits go to fund Alzheimer research. These are little treasures, none larger than 9" x 12", and they would look great on your wall, propped up on a table, or framed. Some are traditional, others "arty." Themes range from serious to goofy with everything in between. The choice is yours. These are the Priority: Alzheimer's Quilts, named for the urgent need for research funding and for the envelope in which they are shipped to their new owners. Each quilt must fit in a USPS cardboard priority mailer.

      The Priority: Alzheimer's Quilts project is part of Ami Simms' "Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative," a three-year commitment to raising awareness and funding research. It includes a 50-quilt traveling exhibit that will be seen by over 146,000 people in the first year alone. These quilts must be Alzheimer related. Do you have a quilt inside waiting to come out? See the prospectus at:

      http://www.amisimms.com/prospectus.html

      Submission deadline is June 5, 2006.

      For more information visit the Alzheimer Art Quilt Initiative at www.AlzQuilts.org.

      Come join the fun at Apple Blossom Quilts featuring the designs of Connie Sue Haidle.
      We are just beginning this 13-part BOM called Buttons N Blooms n butterflies too! FREE to subscribers of our monthly newsletter. Make a block each month and enter it in our monthly contest to win more great patterns.
      Check out Connie Sue's quilting tips. She will teach you the back basting method of applique preparation through detailed, step-by-step pictorial guides. Iris lovers of all ages will delight in her Iris on Parade pattern. The large pieces in this pattern make it suitable for fusible applique machine appliques well as hand appliqueTo subscribe to the Apple Blossom Quilts newsletter and to begin your adventure, click here. http://www.appleblossomquilts.com/newsletter/

      Upcoming Events

      Hey everyone in the Tampa, Florida area! If you want to have a "quilting" great time, come join Kaye and the staff from Keep Me In Stitches! Kaye is ready to have some fun in the sun and we need you to make the event complete! Check it out at the link below!

      Keep Me In Stitches

      Tampa, FL

      4/7 thru 4/8, 2006

      http://www.kmisinc.com

      American Quilters Society Consumer Show

      Paducah, KY

      4/26 thru 4/29, 2006

      Call 1-502-898-7903 or e-mail http://www.americanquilter.com

      Nancy's Notions

      Beaver Dam, WI

      5/4 thru 5/6, 2006

      Call 1-920-887-0391or e-mail http://www.nancysnotions.com

      Quilt Market (wholesale only)

      Minneapolis, MN

      5/19 thru 5/21, 2006

      Alaskan Quilting Cruise

      6/4 thru 6/11, 2006

      Call 1-800-784-4480 or e-mail http://www.roundbobbin.com/cruise2006.htm

      List Your Event

      Shows and events are going on all over the U.S. To have us list your event or to check and see if there are some in your area, just click the link below.

      Kaye Wood Inc., PO Box 456 , West Branch , MI 48661