Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, 3.28.06

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2006
      Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Tuesday, March 28th, 2006
      Kaye Wood's Quilting Newsletter

      Tuesday, March 28th.***Tuesday, March 28th.***Tuesday, March 28th.***Tuesday, March 28th.***Tuesday, March 28th.***Tuesday, March 28th.***Tuesday, March 28th.***Tuesday, March 28th.***Tuesday, March 28th.***Tuesday, March 28th.***Tuesday, March 28th.***Tuesday, March 28th.***Tuesday, March 28th.***Tuesday, March 28th.***Tuesday, March 28th.***

      Hey everyone, I hope all is well! Things are sooo looking up here weather wise! It was a gorgeous weekend! We had our first of many, family barbecues of the season. Let me tell you, nothing says great weather more than a grilled burger and a side of potato salad! That, along with a good dose of the family, made it a great time! By August I'll be ready to trade them all in, but for now, it's a great way to spend time together!

      FYI...Daylight Savings Time is April 2nd. No, it's not an April Fools joke! So make sure you SPRRRING forward, change those clocks and enjoy some longer daylight time!

      Check This Out!

      New from Kaye's pattern line we have the Drunkard's Path! This traditional design is made even easier doing it the Kaye Wood way! Now made with appliquéd circles using the View & Do Circle Shape, there is no curved piecing! Easy enough for a beginner, fun enough for the advanced, this pattern comes with directions for all sizes from wall hangings to king size quilts! Fabric requirements for each size are also included. Click on the link for more information.

      http://www.kayewood.com/onlinecat/p307.html

      What's On Sale?

      Strip Quilting Books #2 thru #8 for $3 apiece!

      Here is a great special at the lowest price you will find all year. For the next two weeks, you can get Kaye's own Strip Quilting books, numbered 2 thru 8, for $3 apiece! We have never sold them this cheap and probably won't again for a long time to come, so take advantage of this great special!

      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      All of these books have peek pages where you can see some of the projects included in the book and full descriptions of the book. Just click the link below and put the strip quilting book title in the search box.

      This is the last week for this sale!

      You all know how Kaye has been introducing her new pattern line, right? Well, here's a good chance to get in on some of your favorites! For the whole month of March when you buy any pattern from Kaye's pattern line, you can get another of Kaye's patterns for half price! So check them out and take advantage of this great sale!

      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Kaye's awesome line of beautiful patterns.

      P201P202 P203 P301 P302
      P303P304P305 P307P401

      Just Ask Kaye!

      Suggestion from a reader regarding the breast cancer pillow project.

      Hello, I'm a survivor of breast cancer and appreciate all you are doing. However, if the pillow would be made of a heart shape, it would be great to use during the recovering time. The heart, made of flannel, can be placed under the arm for comfort and believe me it works. I used mine for sleeping and found it was a great comfort.

      Thank you so much for your input. I'm sure many readers will find this useful.

      Q: Is there a rule of thumb on what color of thread to use for the quilt top? I have never made a quilt and I am not sure what color of thread to use. The quilt top is in various colors of blues, greens and reds, with small amounts of beige.

      K: Use gray for dark, beige or off white to piece light colors.

      Q: Is there a guideline on how to figure the width of the sashing or binding to go on a quilt? For example, if there are 9 inch squares and 12 squares, what is the size of the binding that would go in between each one to make a wall hanging? Is there a formula for figuring this out?

      K: Your sashing should be no wider than the size of the squares, and binding can be any width. It all depends on how you want it to look. If your sashing is wider than your squares, it tends to overcome your design a bit. When it comes to your border, sometimes a wider one pulls your design together more and accentuates your design. Your best bet is to lay it out before sewing them on. Try different widths and see how it looks with your squares. When you find one that work with it and is appealing to you, go with it.

      If you have a question for Kaye, just send it to the address below.

      mailto:terrye@...?subject==questions

      Share With Us

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would like to hear about them. Based upon your response, "Share With Us" might find a permanent place in our newsletter. So think about it. If you've got a tid-bit or idea you'd like to share, e-mail it to Terrye at the address below.

      terrye@...?subject==sharewithus

      Here are a couple tips our readers sent in. Thanks for taking the time to share them with us, we appreciate it!

      1. When you use invisible thread, paint the end so you can see to thread it better. You can use fabric markers. I hope this helps some of you as it did me. Have a wonderful day and happy quilting. Ms. Pris

      2. I have a tip, I am not sure if other people know about it, so here goes. When marking your fabric for stitching or cutting lines, use the last little section of soap. When it is wafer thin, let it dry completely. It makes a nice, fine line and will rub and completely wash out, plus it is cost free. Linda

      Show & Tell

      Here is a beautiful wedding ring quilt made by Fran A. I can't imagine how much work went into hand quilting this beauty! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

      I have always wanted to make a wedding ring quilt. But it always looked too hard to piece. I found the Quilt Smart Way and thought I would try that. It was so easy and I enjoyed making it. I hand quilted it.

      To check out more of our readers wonderful quilts, just click the link!

      If you'd like to submit your quilt for our Show & Tell page, read on!

      We now have a page to feature your favorite quilts called Show & Tell! Just snail mail or e-mail us a non-returnable picture, along with a description in 50 words or less of the story behind your quilt. Each week we will feature a different one in our newsletter! Don't miss out on the chance to, "toot your own horn" a little bit! You can send us your letters to the address below, or e-mail your picture and story to Terrye, at the e-mail address below.

      Kaye Wood

      C/O Show & Tell

      terrye@...?subject=="show_n_tell"

      Upcoming Events

      Kaye and Kathleen just got back from Canada and what a time they had! The ladies who attended the seminars had a great time and can't wait until Kaye can come back again! A special thank you to Jody Tailor from Ottawa and Cheryl Wray from Ontario, our wonderful organizers, who helped to make things such a success! Also, another big thank you to all of our Canadian friends who went out of their way to make Kaye and Kathleen so comfortable and welcome.

      Hey everyone in the Tampa, Florida area! If you want to have a "quilting" great time, come join Kaye and the staff from Keep Me In Stitches! Kaye is ready to have some fun in the sun and we need you to make the event complete! Check it out at the link below!

      Keep Me In Stitches

      Tampa, FL

      4/7 thru 4/8, 2006

      http://www.kmisinc.com

      American Quilters Society Consumer Show

      Paducah, KY

      4/26 thru 4/29, 2006

      Call 1-502-898-7903 or e-mail http://www.americanquilter.com

      Nancy's Notions

      Beaver Dam, WI

      5/4 thru 5/6, 2006

      Call 1-920-887-0391or e-mail http://www.nancysnotions.com

      Quilt Market (wholesale only)

      Minneapolis, MN

      5/19 thru 5/21, 2006

      Alaskan Quilting Cruise

      6/4 thru 6/11, 2006

      Call 1-800-784-4480 or e-mail http://www.roundbobbin.com/cruise2006.htm

      List Your Event

      Shows and events are going on all over the U.S. To have us list your event or to check and see if there are some in your area, just click the link below.

      Ad Swap

      Amazing Designs® offers embroidery solutions for the home embroiderer including design collections, memory card conversion boxes, quality software, and stabilizer in perfectly pre-cut sheets. You can purchase directly from our web site at http://www.amazingdesigns.com or to find a retailer in your area, call 1-888-874-6760. For exclusive web site offers and embroidery news, sign up for our Amazing News e-mail newsletter at http://www.amazingdesigns.com/amazingstore/mail_list.asp

      Kaye Wood, Inc., PO Box 456 , West Branch , MI 48661