Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Mar. 8, 2006

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2006
      Kaye's Quilting Friends, Wednesday, March 8th.

      Kaye Wood's Quilting Newsletter

      Wednesday, March 8th.***Wednesday, March 8th.***Wednesday, March 8th.***Wednesday, March 8th.***Wednesday, March 8th.***Wednesday, March 8th.***Wednesday, March 8th.***Wednesday, March 8th.***Wednesday, March 8th.***Wednesday, March 8th.***Wednesday, March 8th.***Wednesday, March 8th.***Wednesday, March 8th.***Wednesday, March 8th.

      Hey everyone! I hope this week finds you all doing reasonably well. I'm really pulling for spring, as you already know, in a very big way. I thought if I wished on a bunch of rainbows it might help. Well, if nothing else, they are very fetching, right?

      We are actually in the midst of a real heat wave here in Northern Michigan! It's supposed to get to 50 degrees here by Friday! I'm not quite sure how I'll react when I don't have to preheat my car for 30 minutes! Of course that means nothing in the bigger scheme of things. 50 degrees one day is only a brief reprieve, as anyone familiar with Michigan can tell you. It can turn on you in a very short time, I've seen it and documented it! So, me being the optimist, I'm trying to live by the old saying, "Be thankful for what you have when you have it". I'm not quite sure if they actually meant weather when they made up that one, but when you live in Michigan, it definitely works!

      To download this newsletter, just click on the link.

      Check This Out!

      Hey everyone, here is a fun scrappy quilt you will have a blast making, called the Rag Time Quilt! Gone is the worry about which color or fabric is next to each other. Gone is the wondering if a plaid is straight or not. This quilt is so easy, it's not necessary to be perfect in cutting, pinning or piecing, because frayed edges hide a multitude of mistakes. Can it get any simpler? Plus, you do not want to pre-wash your fabric as with other projects, you do it afterwards to give it that fun and frilly, frayed look! Comes with complete instructions for two different sized quilts, right down to how many of what sized squares you need, to complete your project. How nice it would be to snuggle up in this fluffy, warm quilt! For more information, click the link below.

      Q: Our church group had a hand pieced quilt top, machine quilted. The quilt top is about 2" squares and some of the fabric is not the best. We are now having trouble with wavy bindings. Any hints on how to fix this problem?

      K: Cut the bindings on the straight of grain and sew with the binding on top. Make sure the binding is full as it is wrapped around. That should help with the problem.

      Q: I am trying to find a way to print a drawing onto black fabric so I can stitch the drawing. Do you know of a method where I can actually draw, or print the design/picture on black fabric in white ink?

      K: There are many quilting transfer pencils and chalks offered by Clover or Sulky to draw on fabrics. They come in white, silver and many other pastel colors. Most will brush or wash off. You should be able to pick one up at any quilt or craft store.

      Q: Some of the fabric I have purchased for scrap quilts seems nice until it is laundered. Afterwards, it becomes real thin and flimsy. Should this be used in a quilt or would it be advisable to just count it as a learning experience. Would it help if I used a very thin stabilizer or interfacing? Any other ideas would be appreciated.

      K: If this is meant to be a good quilt, I would chalk it up to experience. It will have no lasting power to it and when you wash it, there's a good chance it will become even more thin and flimsy. Plus, a thinner fabric like that does not hold stitches as well. If you are determined to use it, you could try spraying it with Magic Sizing. You can find it in the laundry aisle and will help your fabric have a little more "body" to it.

      The Survey Says...

      In last weeks letter, we had another one of our famous surveys. This is a great way to get to know our readers and it's wonderful they way so many of you respond. Thanks to all who participated. Here is the question:

      How many quilting or sewing newsletters do you subscribe to?

      A) one

      B) one to three

      C) more than three

      The results are in and here is what we came up with. You all love your newsletters and love to stay up on the new and exciting ideas and products. Over 75% of you subscribe to more than three. Now maybe we should ask, how many of you read them all? We know Kaye Wood's is at the top of the list right? lol Thanks again for your participation!

      $2.99 s/h on all orders $40 and over!

      This is the last week for this great shipping special, so don't miss out. When you order $40 or more of product, your shipping will be only $2.99. That's it, couldn't be simpler. Your total price will be adjusted at the time of processing. Although we are very sorry, this special is good for US residents only.

      Monthly Special

      Make sure you check the two new patterns I added this week!

      You all probably know how Kaye has been introducing her new pattern line, right? Well, here's a good chance to get in on some of your favorites! For the whole month of March when you buy any pattern from Kaye's pattern line, you can get another of Kaye's patterns for half price! So check them out and take advantage of this great sale!

      Kaye's awesome line of beautiful patterns.

      Useful Links

      Quilting Cruise

      Have you ever wanted to cruise Alaska, hang with Kaye Wood and do some quilting? Have we got the trip for you! Join Kaye's Alaskan Quilting Cruise, June 6th thru June 11th, 2006! For more info e-mail the link or call the number.

      http://www.cruiseone.com *****1-800-784-4480

      List Your Event

      Shows and events are going on all over the U.S. To have us list your event, or to check and see if there are some in your area, just click the link below.

      Here is a beautiful quilt made by Elaine W. for her niece Brooke! Elaine certainly shows us, you don't have to spend a lot to get a beautiful result! I'm sure Brooke will cherish this for years to come. Thanks you so much Elaine for sharing your quilt with us!

      I made this rag quilt for my niece Brooke in September 2005, for her Christmas present. I purchased 3 brown paper bags of flannel scraps at a garage sale in the summer time. I was able to make this quilt and 2 other quilts out of these bags of scraps and still have some left over pieces! I paid $2.00 per bag so the cost for these quilts was $2.00 plus the warm and natural and thread. A very good deal ! Happy Quilting ! Elaine

      To check out more of our readers wonderful quilts, just click the link!

      If you'd like to submit your quilt for our Show & Tell page, read on!

      We now have a page to feature your favorite quilts called Show & Tell! Just snail mail or e-mail us a non-returnable picture, along with a description in 50 words or less of the story behind your quilt. Each week we will feature a different one in our newsletter! Don't miss out on the chance to, "toot your own horn" a little bit! You can send us your letters to the address below, or e-mail your picture and story to Terrye, at the e-mail address below.

      Kaye Wood

      C/O Show & Tell

      Well, I have to tell you, Kaye and the girls had a blast out in Puyallup, WA! So many kind, interesting people, they are still talking about it! Thanks to all who made this event so wonderful.

      Kaye's next trip isn't for a couple of weeks so you have plenty of time to make it to the border! The Canadian border that is because Kaye is coming to town! That's right, Kaye is heading over to visit our Canadian friends and she can't wait! Read below for further information.

      Ottawa, Canada/St. Mary's Church

      Saturday- 3/25, 2006

      1 Canfield Road Nepean, Ontario

      Contact: Jody Taylor at 613-828-1183 or bravoshow@...

      Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada/Clarington Beech Centre

      Sunday- 3/26, 2006

      26 Beech Ave.

      Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada L1C 3A2

      Contact: Cheryl Wray at 905-623-3589 or sewersforum@...

      Keep Me In Stitches

      Tampa, FL

      4/7 thru 4/8, 2006

      Kaye Wood, Inc., PO Box 456 , West Branch , MI 48661