Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, Jan 31, 2006

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2006

      Kaye Wood's Quilting Newsletter

      Hey everyone! Let me start by apologizing for the problem with the newsletter last week. We had some little gremlins or something messing with it. I'm sure this week will be much better.

      Well, January is officially out of here and let me be the first to tell you, there are 11 months till Christmas! I know, it's pushing it, but when you think of it in the terms of starting and finishing new projects, it's not that far away. So now is a great time to start a project journal and to do list. Kind of like a "honey-do" list, only for yourself. Start jotting down the projects you have to finish, which ones you'd like to start, what supplies you have and what you might need, you get the idea. After you get this all done, then chuck it and start on your wish list! These are the dream projects you might not necessarily need or have in mind for someone, but they beckon you every time you see a certain fabric, pattern or book. Delight and lose yourself in these projects, you deserve it! After all, Christmas is 11 months away, plenty of time to finish that "honey-do" list!

      To download this newsletter, just click on the link.

      If you haven't seen one of the latest additions to the Kaye Wood pattern line, Morning Glory is a glorious quilt to behold. Imagine those beautiful floral fabrics you've been dying to buy or maybe have stashed away, just waiting for the perfect pattern. This quilt is made from diagonal half-square triangles using bias tubes. No wasted fabric, no paper grids, it couldn't be easier! Have a blast rearranging the blocks to showcase your creativity and flare! Borders are a breeze to miter using Kaye's convenient step-by-step directions! Sizes included in this pattern are for twin, double or king size beds. For more information on this wonderful quilt, just click the link.

      http://www.kayewood.com/onlinecat/p202.html

      New Special!

      In case you forgot, Valentines Day is around the corner. So, in honor of this fine holiday of love, we're putting on special, both of Kaye's heart patterns. These patterns go hand in hand with Kaye's View & Do Heart template and come with instructions for twin, double, queen or king size quilts. For the next two weeks, if you buy one of these patterns, your s/h will be 99 cents (anywhere). If you buy both of these patterns, your s/h will be $1.98 (anywhere)! Either way you save. So pick one or pick them both, it's a guaranteed savings for the next two weeks only!

      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      New Monthly Special!

      Strip-Cut Quilts for $1.99 s/h! (continental US only)

      On special for this month is a book of Kaye's that is probably one of my favorites, and you know she has a lot to choose from! Strip-Cut Quilts has a variety of projects, that are such great fun, you won't know which one to do first! This book has so much information, it's hard to know where to start! Strip-Cut Quilts is 96 pages big, with over 200 illustrations and 30 projects! These projects will carry you through the seasons with things like Glacier Ice, Christmas Table runner, Spring Rain and Rainbow Sherbert! Painted Desert and Southwest Crossing, will have you yearning for the southwest or at least warmer days. This book is great for the beginner or advanced quilter, with projects to suit every level. Tips include everything from fabric preparation, accurate cutting, measuring and pressing, to squaring up your blocks, borders, sashing and mitered corners! Techniques include fussy cuts, tree borders, flying geese, topless triangles and much, much more! The Starmaker 8 is the tool you need for this book and a paper one is included. Of course, for ease and accuracy, we recommend the acrylic version we have available. Remember that gift you've been wanting for yourself? This is the one you have to have, order today!

      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      Here are some of the beautiful projects from Strip-Cut Quilts!

      Superbowl!!

      In previous years we've run special Superbowl Sales. Here it is again!

      Any of our 8.00 Epatterns will be 6.00!! Go here to order, http://www.kayewood.com/ebooks.html and if you order before noon Eastern Time, on Friday, we will get them emailed to you in time for the weekend!

      Just look for the football to see what patterns are on sale!

      You Asked For It!

      I know we have premiered this many times, but we never seem to run out of people asking for it. Here it is, some great tips on how to store your quilts.

      1. Quilts should be aired or vacuumed before storing. Use a low suction hand vac with a nylon screen to protect it from harmful pull. When airing, be sure the quilt is laying flat, protected from soil, and not in direct sunlight.

      2. The ideal storage is a flat surface, properly lined with acid free material, large enough to have its own space.

      3. When folding, use crumpled acid-free tissue in the folds for support. Refold the quilt every 3-6 months to minimize permanent fold lines. Rolling quilts is an option, but it does place stress on the entire quilt.

      4. If the storage unit is made of wood or cardboard, it should be lined with several layers of washed, 100% cotton fabric. This is necessary to protect the fabric from chemicals in the wood or paper. Cotton liner should be washed semi-annually.

      5. Covers of pre washed 100% cotton sheeting, muslin, pillow cases, or acid-free tissue paper are strongly recommended. These materials allow air to pass through and keep light and dust out. Plastic is not advised.

      6. Keep the storage area clean and insect free. The herb Artemisia is a natural pesticide. Hang in the storage area or in a small bag. Do not let the bag touch the quilts!

      *Information from AQS

      You Were Wondering

      We have had a few people wondering why, "Ask Kaye" hasn't been in the newsletter for a while. Well, to be honest, we haven't been getting any questions so we thought everyone must be doing alright. But remember, in case you do have any, here is the link.

      mailto:terrye@...?subject=questions

      Here is another question we get quite often.

      How do you select guests for your TV show?

      We select teachers who have written patterns or books, that will spark the interest of our viewers. Whether it be a new technique or a twist on an old one, a fun pattern or interesting book, it is always considered carefully before being put on the show. If you are a teacher, please feel free to send us your product for review.

      Show & Tell

      This week our featured Show & Tell person is Julie D. She calls her first project here a mutant. I think most of our readers would say it's just beautiful. Thank you for sharing it with us Julie!

      The first piece that I ever quilted is a mutant horror that now inhabits the end of my king sized bed called Bed Quilt. It has two redeeming graces, it keeps my feet warm at night and doesn't show cat hair. Bed Quilt began in a beginners' quilting class I took. We were supposed to make a 24" x 24" country-style wall hanging, in a set of patriotic colors that I didn't like, so I thought I'd improvise. One thing led to another in the fabric store, and by the time the class met again the following week, I had enough squares to wallpaper the meeting room. Then the dumb thing I did was to use an old pair of drapes to set the squares. It stretched EVERY which way when I cut it. Good thing they were living room drapes. I thought the quilting instructor would faint when all the good little students brought in their nice, patriotic, country-style wall hangings and then I unrolled...Bed Quilt. That was pretty much the one and only time I've taken a sewing class of any kind. I'm probably blacklisted somewhere for that one.

      To check out more of our readers wonderful quilts, just click the link!

      If you'd like to submit your quilt for our Show & Tell page, read on!

      Don't be out of the loop! We now have a page to feature your favorite quilts called Show & Tell! Just snail mail or e-mail us a non-returnable picture, along with a description in 50 words or less of the story behind your quilt. What inspired you? Was it for a special person or event in your life? Each week we will feature a different one in our newsletter! Don't miss out on the chance to, "toot your own horn" a little bit! You can send us your letters to the address below, or e-mail your picture and story to Terrye, at the e-mail address below.

      Kaye Wood

      C/O Show & Tell

      PO Box 456

      West Branch , MI 48661

      terrye@...?subject="show_n_tell"

      Upcoming Events

      A big thank you from Kaye, to everyone who participated in the Quilt, Craft and Sewing Festival at Phoenix , Arizona ! It was a huge success and Kaye loved making new friends and touching base with old ones. Great job!

      Get ready Denver , Kaye's blowing into town and things just won't be the same! If you'd like to meet Kaye and have a great time, come to the Creative Festival! Check out our info below.

      Creative Festival

      Denver, CO

      2/3 thru 2/6, 2006

      http://www.creativefestival.com or 505-323-0025

      Sewing and Stitchery Expo

      Puyallup, WA

      3/2 thru 3/5, 2006

      http://www.sewexpo.com or 253-445-4632

      Ottawa, Canada/St. Mary's Church

      Saturday- 3/25, 2006

      1 Canfield Road Nepean , Ontario

      Contact: Jody Taylor at 613-828-1183

      Bowmanville, Ontario , Canada/Clarington Beech Centre

      Sunday- 3/26, 2006

      26 Beech Ave.

      Bowmanville, Ontario , Canada L1C 3A2

      Contact: Cheryl Wray at 905-623-3589

      Links 4-U

      QNN

      Can't get Kaye's Quilting Friends on your television? Well, how about seeing Kaye on your computer?! You can catch Kaye's Quilting Friends at least 5 times a day on QNN! Each show a different episode, QNN is the only online programming dedicated to quilters. 24/7, you can get your quilting fix at QNN.

      http://www.quiltersnewsnetwork.com/

      Quilting Cruise

      Have you ever wanted to cruise Alaska , hang with Kaye Wood and do some quilting? Have we got the trip for you! Join Kaye's Alaskan Quilting Cruise, June 6th thru June 11th, 2006! For more info e-mail the link or call the number.

      http://www.cruiseone.com / 1-800-784-4480

      Ad Swap

      Step into a world of crochet at Crochet Memories where we offer a variety of patterns for almost any occasion. Offering same day delivery, free patterns, and newsletter!

      http://www.crochetmemories.com

      Sign up for our free newsletter today by sending a blank email to:

      crochetmemories-subscribe@...

      Kaye Wood, Inc., PO Box 456 , West Branch , MI 48661

      West Branch , MI   48661

      Phone:  1_800_248_KAYE(5293)

      Website:  http://www.kayewood.com

      Quilting E-Newsletter, Special Sales, Tips and Techniques, and Quilting and Sewing Ebooks and Epatterns, here, at kayewood.com!