397Quilting The Kaye Wood Way, Week of 1.5.11. Do Your New Year's Resolutions Include More Quilting?

    Jan 5, 2011

      • New In Our Store
      • Lake Havasu and Phoenix, AZ
      • Guess What
      • Quilter's TV Survey
      • KayeWoodTV.com
      • Using Interfacing
      • Readers Traditions and Colors
      • Show and Tell
      • Kaye's Tip of the Month
      • Tips
      • Funny Stories
      • Ask Kaye
      • Useful Links
      • New Contest
      • Funny Quip
      Quilting the Kaye Wood Way

      Looks like "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird found a frozen pond to enjoy....Follow us!

      48661

      It's time to start gearing up for the quilting and crafting shows!
      Kaye will be at the following 2 this month:
      Lake Havasu, AZ, Jan 12-13 and at the Arizona State Fair Grounds, Jan 27-29, Join us there!

      On Sale This Week....

      Holiday Patterns are 20% off! And not just Christmas either, we also have a selection of spring holiday patterns!

      They're all HERE, on our sale page!

      What else is on sale?

      Tons of clearance merchandise, HURT items, end of year blow-outs, too many to list, but hurry, with a lot of these items, there is only one item left in stock and they won't be reordered! Also, keep checking back as more items will be added daily!

      Show Me The Sale Items!

      New Items In Our Shop....

      Here's a smattering of selections, but you can

      Check them ALL out HERE

      Fall Splendor
      Use our variagated prints, hand-dyeds and batiks to create this gorgeous seasonal quilt. But.. why not use greens to represent spring and summer, add some beads or crystals for raindrops or ice crystals!

      Is your home ready for a makeover? This line of Pillow Shams, Dust Ruffle and Valance from More Splash That Cash will coordinate with your quilts to bring a whole new life to your rooms.

      Is your home ready for a makeover? This line of Pillow Shams, Dust Ruffle and Valance from More Splash That Cash will coordinate with your quilts to bring a whole new life to your rooms.

      Charisma Slipper Pattern
      Styled after the Ugg Boots, complete with fleece details, these slippers, whether made in one fabric or mixed up are ultra cute
      .

      Kaye's next gig is in Lake Havasu, AZ.

      If you haven't signed up yet, there's still time, but hurry! The dates are January 12-13, 2011 and you can Click To Register For Quilter's Gone Wild, Quilter's At The Lake Quilt Show.

      Kaye will be doing a Teacher Certification Class as well as a Lecture/Demo/Trunk Show

      Then, after Lake Havasu, she's off to the Arizona State Fairgrounds for the Quilt, Craft and Sewing Festival, I'm telling you, this woman does NOT sit still!

      Guess What....

      Kaye's doing? Here's a clue....

      Look for another clue next week!

      You've been invited by Quilters TV to take their annual survey! We value your privacy and assure that all responses are kept confidential and used for informational purposes only.

      Taking this survey is quick and easy. We appreciate your time and thank you for the feedback! These surveys truly help us plan our priorities for next year to hopefully serve you better and help keep the service free on the internet! None of your information is ever shared with anyone from Quilters TV, ever!
      It's January! It's a New Year! It's time to fulfill one of your New Year's Resolutions, one of which I just KNOW is to start a new quilt project!

      Enter Fanfare Log Cabin! A traditional quilt pattern but with an updated twist! Joan created this pattern with you in mind, using the Lazy Angle block to create a striking variation to this log cabin design.

      FREE ONLINE VIDEO demonstrating how Joan and Kaye cut and piece the Fanfare Log Cabin Quilt.

      Then come on over to our Fanfare Log Cabin Page and order your pattern, today!

      Using Interfacing....

      What is the use of the interfacing?

      To make the fabric firm: if you have a very lightweight or fragile fabric, you may want to fuse it to a lightweight fusible interfacing.

      To keep the fabric from stretching: T-shirt knits need to have a fusible interfacing attached before cutting out the fabric.

      Turn under edges: I prefer a light weight non-fusible interfacing, such as EZ Under. Sew it to the right side of the fabric. Trim the seam allowances. Cut an opening in the interfacing. Turn the applique piece right side out. Applique to a backing fabric. This technique gives you a nice, smooth edge to the applique, which can then be machine or hand stitched.

      Our Reader's January Traditions and Colors....

      Cathy....I quilt! I never seem to have enough time to finish my projects for Christmas so I finish them in January and they are all set for next Christmas!
      Elaine....I always love royal blue, especially for clothing. For walls, a nice soft blue.

      Show & Tell....

      I decided to make a quilt for my granddaughters graduation June 2008, her dress was Periwinkle.

      My granddaughter loved colors of purples, blues, pinks, I had no idea how to choose materials.
      The sales girl at the fabric shop chose materials taking colors from a post card I received in the mail of the sky, all different pink/purple/blue hues with Mount Baker in the background, beautiful.
      I was so exited to start on my first quilt, it has taken me two years and eight months from start to finish.

      My mother will be so proud of me, mom made her quilts by hand. I had it quilted by a friend with a quilting machine.
      It has taken me so long to make this quilt that my granddaughters color preferences have changed.
      I'm giving to her for Christmas 2010.
      Grandson graduating in 2011, a quilt is in the making......Yvonne

      To see the rest of our Show & Tell Entries, go to our Community Tab at the top of our page and then click on the Show & Tell box!

      Quilting the Kaye Wood Way Tip of the Month for January
      Use the Tip of the Month to do a FREE 3-minute demo for your guild.
      View the Hexagon Cutting & Sewing Video
      Print out the FREE Cutting & Sewing Hexagons the easy Kaye Wood Way Tip Sheet for your members
      Feature the products shown in the Tip Sheet of the Month:
      Starmaker 6 Master Template
      Static Stickers
      Easy Hexagon Designs Book
      Tips From Our Readers....

      Think Outside The Box: I was making a hockey themed quilt for a new baby boy. When I got ready to bind the quilt I showed it to my son who suggested that I round the corners to make it more like the shape of a hockey rink which I did. I used a large dinner plate to cut the corners and then applied the binding. It was great! No mitering at the corners! The binding went around the corners with no problem. I may round the corners on all my quilts from now on - so much easier!....Ann

      We want your tips (or label ideas!)....

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below, and it will find a place in our newsletter! terrye@...?subject=sharewithus

      Funny Stories From Our Readers....

      I have a large armoire in my sewing room. Inside on the one door is a bar for hanging ties. I use it to hang my sashing strips. My cats are always around while I'm sewing. I got up one morning and couldn't find one of my four cats. I started calling her and heard her meowing from inside the armoire. She had been in there for 13 1/2 hours. She must have just slept she never meowed and she was a good cat she never went to the bathroom. I will look before I shut it next time....Sheila

      Send us your funny stories! terrye@...?subject=funny stories

      Ask Kaye....

      Kathy Asks:

      Dear Kaye,
      Years ago I saw you on tv showing how to make an easy puff quilt. You laid the top fabric on a base fabric, then pinched it as you stitched, then stuck some polyfill inside. I can't remember the rest of it and although I'm sure I have a video somewhere of that show, it would take me a long time to find it. Is that show included on one of your dvd's that I could purchase?.

      Kaye answers: The easy Puff or Biscuit Quilt basic directions are in my book, Quilt Like A Pro. In the near future I may bring out updated instructions for a quilt using this technique.

      Basically, the base fabric has a 2 1/2 inch grid the exact size of your finished project, or 1/4 the project to make it easier to handle. The top fabric is cut into 5 inch strips and sewn into strip sets using the same number of squares as there are on the base fabric.

      Do you have a question for our resident expert? Ask away and we'll feature it in upcoming newsletters! Also, Kaye will personally answer your questions.

      Send to: terrye@...?subject=ask_kaye

      Useful Links....
      Quilting The Kaye Wood Way blog.
      http://www.kayewood.com/blog

      List your event

      New Contest For January....

      Send in pictures of your quilts, wallhangings, pillows, placemats, tablerunners... whatever you've made using Kaye's Shapes, Tools and Templates. Get creative! Just because it's a quilt pattern doesn't mean it has to end up as a quilt! This contest will end on January 31st, so hurry! Don't think you can make the deadline? That's ok, keep sewing because we'll offer this again during the year!

      Email me the pictures, and the story behind your project and you could win your choice of one of Kaye's Tools, Templates or Shapes along with a selection of patterns specially designed for that item.

      Funny Quips!
      A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.
      First you consume chocolate, then chocolate consumes you!
      Some people are afraid of heights. I'm afraid of widths!
      I'm on a 90 day wonder diet. Thus far, I've lost 45 days.
      I keep trying to lose weight, but it keeps finding me.

      That's all for this week

      Have a great week (and an AWESOME New Year) from

      The staff at Kaye Wood, Inc!

      Terrye Kinch/Kaye Wood, Inc