354Quilting The Kaye Wood Way Newsletter, Week of July 7, 2010

    Jul 7 8:44 AM

      • Last Chance
      • New In Our Store
      • Kaye's Schedule
      • KayeWoodTV.com
      • Our Readers Show and Tell
      • New Cruise Scheduled
      • Tips From Our Readers
      • Events
      • Funny Stories From Our Readers
      • Ask Kaye - NEW!!
      Quilting the Kaye Wood Way

      Today, "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird is staying cool with a dip in the pool....Follow us!

      I think it's official. If the thermometer is to be trusted, summer is HERE! And with a vengeance. It is hot, hot, hot, and the humidity that accompanies this kind of hot is just about unbearable. We need a good thunderstorm to break the humidity.

      Mike's trying for this again....

      My son, Mike, is hoping to get a grant from Pepsi for a camp for HIV and Aids children. Please take a minute to log in and vote for this. It's a great idea!

      Just click on www.refresheverything.com. And you can really help by voting every day until the end of July. For those of you on my Facebook, many of you have already voted. Thank you.
      Last Chance....

      To get the Starmakers and View & Do Shapes at their current price. Next week the prices go up! Get them now.

      Starmaker 5

      Starmaker 6

      Starmaker 8

      View & Do Heart Shapes

      View & Do Diamond Shapes

      View & Do Hexagon Shapes

      View & Do Octagon Shapes

      View & Do Square Shapes

      View & Do Circle Shapes

      New In Our Store....

      Claire.
      From Joan Hawley of Lazy Girl Designs

      Sophisticated yet lighthearted purse, tote or project bag. Loaded with pockets. Six inside pockets and a few places for pens, too. Size 10 1/4" w x 9 1/4"h x 4"d.

      Choose Bag-E-Bottoms Size F Acrylic Insert to make your Claire Bag stand up on her own.....here

      Kaye's Schedule....

      This week, Kaye demonstrates how to make her Kaleidoscope Block. Watch this quick 4 minute video, you'll be amazed at how easy it is using Kaye's Starmaker 8 and her techniques.

      Kaleidoscope....

      These are both pictures from the Teacher's Certification class in Las Vegas!

      Be sure to visit our Show and Tell Page, then click on the pictures to see the larger view!

      Round Bobbin Announces Next "Sew Fun Cruise"

      Eastern Caribbean Sewing & Quilting Cruise Sailing June 5, 2011, on Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas

      Join us on the Round Bobbin Sew Fun Cruise as we sail on the Freedom of the Seas. We sew while we are cruising at sea, giving everyone ample time to enjoy the sights of each port of call while docked. We have sewing and quilting classes appropriate for all skill levels.

      We make it easy for you. Janome is sponsoring the cruise and is providing the machines for use on the ship. We provide all the equipment necessary to sew while on the cruise. All you need to do is bring yourself and be ready to have fun!
      Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas is one of the newest ships in their fleet. In addition to the world class food, you'll enjoy fun and exciting Las Vegas style shows, games, themed bars and lounges, full size flat screen TV's in every room, the Royal Promenade and so much more. Those who like a little adventure can enjoy the rock climbing wall, the FlowRider®, and the 9-hole miniature golf course.
      You must book your cruise through Bonnie at CruiseOne at 800-784-4480. Bonnie can arrange a payment plan to meet your needs. We have a limit of 100 people so book today! More information will be posted at www.roundbobbin.com or call 800-473-9464.
      As an added bonus, everyone who registers for classes will receive a Janome sewing machine. These machines will not be used on the cruise, but will be shipped to your home after the cruise.

      Tips From Our Readers....
      My husband bought me a (new to me) used quilting machine. When doing the practice sewing, I use the half filled bobbins. The thread color doesn't matter and neither does running out of bobbin thread. You are not wasting thread and you have an empty bobbin to fill with the color you'll need for a the next project. This tip can be used with both quilting and sewing. I have to say our dog KoKo is getting a lot of dog beds....Dar

      A neat flannel board can be made my using a spring loaded window rod and a flannel backed plastic tablecloth. Look for the tablecloth on sale, and try to get one without a pattern (it shows through in the sun). Then cut it to size, make a hanging casing and slip it on your window. Mine stays put all of the time, but it would be easy to roll up and store as well....Lou Ann

      We want your tips....

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below, and it will find a place in our newsletter! terrye@...?subject=sharewithus

      Quilting Events in July and August....

      Has your guild or quilting group scheduled a show? Let us know the where's, when's and how's and we'll put you on our Quilting Events Page.
      Email us and Let us know what's going on in New Hampshire and New Mexico!

      Like so many others there have been quilt tops started and still unfinished. And do know the feeling to enjoy the quilting experience with a great bottle of wine. When using a rotary cutter and pad on the dining room table I noticed that I had missed the pad and cut my table. Husband says NO MORE CUTTING ON THE TABLE WHILE DRINKING!!!
      ....Marcia

      Well, a friend had bid on a gift basket and won. Inside was a gift certificate for a free quilting class. Since she didn't have a sewing machine, she gave the certificate to me. So I went to the quilt store to check out the classes, and the one I wanted to take was for a watercolor quilt. It was a two-day class, not the 1-day class on the certificate. By the time I purchased the material, rotary cutter, cutting board, special ruler, and paid for the extra day class, my free quilting class had cost me $167.00! The worst of it was that, in my youthful arrogance (all young people know everything, right?) I felt that I didn't have to follow the rules of ironing everything, and measuring everything, so the quilt..err mess... I made was never finished, and was a very expensive lesson!....Suz

      You can't be the only one who's done this! Come on, fess up, tell us about your funny sewing stories!

      Ask Kaye....

      This is a new feature we're implementing, just to try it out. Every week we'll take a question from our readers and Kaye will answer it.

      Ruthellen asks: Kaye has a wonderful way of making half square triangles, by cutting bias strips. But how do you determine how wide the strip needs to be? Say you need a 2 inch finished block, how wide would the strip be? I seem to have to cut three or four strips to get the right width.

      Kaye answers: You cut the half square triangles by placing the point of the Starmaker 8 at the top of the bias tube. The measurement along the side of the Starmaker 8, from the point down to the seamline, is the outside edge of the diagonal half square. On this tip sheet, www.kayewood.com/tips/diagonal_half_squares.pdf, it gives the bias strip width for diagonal half squares from 1-1/2" to 5" finished size. This should give you the information you need.

      Email us your questions....

      That's all for this week

      Have a great and safe holiday weekend from

      Customer Service
      Download our catalog
      http://www.kayewood.com/cover.pdf