342Kaye's Quilting Newsletter, Week of 4.7.10

    Apr 7, 2010

      • On Sale, Clearance, Damaged,Deal of the Day
      • New On Our Site
      • Button Game
      • Kaye's Schedule
      • New Free Technique
      • KayeWoodTV.com
      • Our Readers Show and Tell
      • Tips From Our Readers
      • Events
      • Funny Stories From Our Readers
      • I've Learned
      Quilting the Kaye Wood Way

      Today, "Pitter Patches", our Twitter Bird found a patch of Spring Flowers...Follow us!

      Major glitch last week, still don't know what happened, so if by chance, you were one of the lucky few who did get last week's newsletter, this one will look pretty similar.

      On Sale This Week....
      .99 Shipping (USA) or 1.99 Shipping (International) on the following 3 patterns.
      Hip Hop Quilt Pattern

      The "Hip Hop" Quilt Pattern is easy, quick and fun to make. The quilt backing fabric creates a fold-over self binding on the straight-of-the-grain. The pattern includes instructions for both the pastel and the black and white versions. The unique "Quick Quilt" shortcuts accompany the detailed instructions so that experienced quilters can skip ahead for faster completion. Finished Size: 50" x 58" Skill Level: Advanced Beginner. From Quiltwoman.com

      .99 cents shipping on Hip Hop!

      Once Upon A Bunny Hill is an easy-to-construct table runner with lots of opportunities for embellishing. You can use some of those fancy stitches your machine has that you never use, free motion quilting, fun buttons...the possibilities are endless. Templates are provided for fused elements, the remaining pieces are rotary cut. Finished Size: 21" x 45" Skill Level: Beginner. From Quiltwoman.com

      .99 cents shipping on Once Upon A Bunny!

      New On The Site, Old Glory Waves

      Use fat quarter packs, old quilts, feedsacks and scraps. This wallhanging sews up so easy. The flag is a breeze to make and it looks like it waves in the breeze too. Bind it on the curve for added interest. Use on the wall, or for a great patriotic holiday table decoration. Make one for yourself and the other for a friend.

      Makes 2 flags each approximately 24" x 27"

      No curved piecing, no inset piecing, just sew on the lines and fuse! From QuiltSmart

      .99 cents shipping on Old Glory Waves!

      Button, Button Who Has the Buttons?
      Find buttons to win prizes!
      Come join the fun at FindAQuiltPattern.com.

      Kaye's Schedule....

      Teacher Certification Classes....

      New Technique....

      We have a new technique up on our Tips and Techniques Page. You've all seen Kaye's Perfect Miter technique for squares. Now, check out her Perfect Miter for hexagons!

      here: http://www.kayewood.com/tips/mitered_bindings_hexagons.pdf

      Perfect for Spring! Kaye teams up with James Raymer of Dalco Home Sew to bring you this Stained Glass Iris pattern

      Watch the video....

      Can't grow irises where you live? They're easy with this pattern, go here

      This is the 2nd quilt I ever made, took me awhile, but I finished it using Kaye's Starmaker 6 Master Template and her Spinning Diamonds pattern.

      - Sydna
      Tips From Our Readers....

      I'm new at quilting but I stumbled on to a tip that may help others. It sure helped me. When I am adding sashing to my blocks, I keep a chalk marker beside my machine to mark things that may have strayed from the traditional scant quarter inch. I mark the stitching error with a circle - or if I feel that the error is an edge matching error, I use 3-4 straight marks. When the entire strip is sashed on 2 sides, I go back and check the hash marks to be able to correct any imperfections prior to proceeding to the next step. By using two different symbols, I don't have to quess what I felt went wrong during the sewing process. This assures me that I have things as perfect as I can get up to this point. Hope this helps fellow quilters....Jan

      We want your tips....

      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would love to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below, and it will find a place in our newsletter! terrye@...?subject=sharewithus

      Quilting Events in March and April...

      Has your guild or quilting group scheduled a show? Let us know the where's, when's and how's and we'll put you on our Quilting Events Page.

      The Whole List....

      List your event

      This isn't exactly a funny story but it is true. On January 10 I was sewing pot holders from my scraps. As I was helping some fabric get started under the presser foot, I guess my foot touched the pedal too soon and the needle went down and up through the tip of my finger. I had never had this happen before and I have sewn for many years. Of course I stopped sewing for the night, trimmed my jagged finger nail and bandaged my finger. It was really sore for a few days but I was able to play the piano for my church service the following Sunday....Lois

      Whether funny, touching, or mysterious you all have your stories, and we want to hear them. Come on, fess up.... you can't possibly think that you're the only one whose done........

      Send them to us, here and we'll include them in our newsletters.

      I've Learned

      ...credentials on the wall do not make you a decent human being.
      ...your life can be changed in a matter of hours, by people who don't even know you.
      ...the clothes I like best are the ones with the most holes in them.
      ...it's not what you have in your life, but who you have in your life that counts.
      ...two people can look at the exact same thing and see something totally different.
      ...it takes years to build up trust and only seconds to destroy it.
      ...you can do something in an instant that will give you a heartache for life.
      ...even when you think you have no more to give, when a friends cries out to you, you will find the strength to help.
      No matter how thin you slice it, there are always two sides.
      It's a lot easier to react than it is to think.
      Our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are, but we are responsible for who we become.
      You should always leave loved ones with loving words, because you just never know.
      Either you control your attitude or it controls you.
      We are responsible for what we do, no matter how we feel.
      You shouldn't compare yourself to the best others can do, but to the best you can do.
      There are people who love you dearly, but just don't know how to show it.
      Money is a lousy way of keeping score.
      Learning to forgive takes practice.
      Sometimes the people you expect to kick you when you're down will be the ones to help you get back up.
      You should never tell a child their dreams aren't possible, for what a tragedy it would be if they believed it.
      Your best friend and you can do anything or nothing and still have the best time.
      It isn't always enough to be forgiven, sometimes you have to learn to forgive yourself.

      That's all for this week....

      Have a great week everyone from

      Customer Service
      Download our catalog