238Kaye's Quilting Friends Newsletter, April 1, 2008

  • Kaye's Quilting Friends
    Apr 1, 2008

      April 1,2008

      Our Home Page
      Access to all the goodies on the Kaye Wood website!
      http://www.kayewood.com

      Hey everyone! As you all know, today is April Fools Day. I for one, do not celebrate when it comes to this day. I consider myself to have a pretty good sense of humor, but it has been my experience, that most of the pranks tend to be on the mean side, at the expense of someone else. So, I'm just not a big fan of this so called holiday. Upon checking things out, I found April Fools Day has been going on for centuries, but there is no clear, "how and when" this day started. My theory, the originator was too embarrassed afterwards to own up to it, but yet it still flourished, go figure. There are some pranks I have read about, that were pretty amusing, and I will sprinkle them throughout the letter for you to enjoy. Meanwhile, if you feel like me, here are a few other days in April you might find more worthy. If you'd like to download this newsletter, just click the link.
      http://www.kayewood.com/newsletter.pdf

      Days in April to remember!
      1. April is National Poetry Month.
      2. April 3-Find a rainbow day.
      3. April 7-No housework day. (my personal favorite)
      4. April 22-Earth Day
      5. April 25-National Arbor Day
      6. April 26-National Pretzel Day
      7. April 30-National Honesty Day

      Check This Out!
      Get these patterns while you can!
      Patterns for our "Check This Out" feature are available for a limited time only. These patterns time will soon expire, so get them while you can!

      Half Apron Pattern

      Romance in Rabbit Cove

      Chevron Posies

      1940's Apron Pattern

      April Fool #1-Thomas Edison invents food machine!
      After Thomas Edison invented the phonograph in 1877, Americans firmly believed that there were no limits to his genius. Therefore, when the New York Graphic announced in 1878 that Edison had invented a machine that could transform soil directly into cereal and water directly into wine, thereby ending the problem of world hunger, it found no shortage of willing believers. Imagine their surprise when they found out it was actually an April Fool's Day joke!
      Sale
      Last week to buy the DVD of the show featuring the Summer Tote and get the pattern absolutely FREE!!!

      Summer's not quite here yet, but you can start planning for it now with this fabulous Summer Tote bag from Joan Hawley of Lazy Girl Designs!
      Fresh and in-style, whether you use it as a carrier for beach gear or just a wonderful "hold all" purse, you won't forget anything with this roomy bag! The Summer Tote measures 11" tall by 15" wide, and closes across the top with a convenient zipper. 6 outside pockets and up to 4 inside pockets that are fully lined, guarantee there's a place for everything to keep everything in it's place! Joan's tips include her easy zipper installation technique and how to use Steam-A-Seam 2, to fuse the walls to create a canvas like fabric, that make this bag extra sturdy and durable! Whether you choose beautiful, bright fabrics for summer, perfect pastels for spring or anything in between, this will definitely become your favorite bag to tote around! Remember, for the next two weeks when you buy the DVD of this show, the Summer Tote pattern is absolutely FREE!
      (Also can use optional Bag-E-Bottom, Size D)
      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      New Monthly Special!
      99 cent s/h on the Sassy Bag for US customers.
      $1.99 international shipping.

      If you are shopping, traveling, or just prefer not to carry a big, bulky purse, the Sassy Bag is for you! Big enough to carry the essentials, small enough to lie firmly next to your body, the Sassy Bag is approximately 8" x 9" and has 2 inner pockets and one pocket on the back. Say good-bye to the days of rummaging through a big bag to find your important items! Try some beautiful spring/summer fabrics, to make a most fabulous bag for your outings! Do you know any kids? Get some funky fabric and little girls and teens alike, will love this bag! If you need a quick but stylish gift, this bag would be great for anyone you know! Plus, you can see the episode of the Sassy Bag being made on KayeWoodTV.com right now, for FREE! So order your Sassy Bag through the month of April to get your shipping discount!
      All prices will be adjusted at the time of processing.
      http://www.kayewood.com/sales.html

      April Fool #2-The Swiss Spaghetti Harvest
      In 1957 the respected BBC news show Panorama announced, that thanks to a very mild winter and the elimination of the spaghetti weevil, Swiss farmers were enjoying a HUGE spaghetti crop. Accompanying this announcement was footage of Swiss peasants pulling strands of spaghetti down from trees. Tons of viewers were taken in with many calling the BBC, wanting to know how they could grow their own spaghetti tree. To this the BBC replied that they should "place a sprig of spaghetti in a tin of tomato sauce and hope for the best."

       Kaye Wood seminar is coming to Ohio in April!
      First come, first serve, seating is limited!
      Time is running out, have you reserved your spot yet?
      Now is your chance to meet and learn from quilt icon, Kaye Wood!
      Come and check out the Kaye Wood seminar!

      Sunday, April 20, 2008
      2:00 pm-5:00 pm
      Community Quilt Connection @ the Cincinnati Mills Mall
      Fairfield, OH 45014
      Entry 2-2nd Floor
      Ticket price: $20.00
      Reserve your spot now by calling 1-800-248-5293 or e-mail
      http://www.kayewood.com/wbseminar.html
      or mailto:kathleen@...?subject=ohioseminar

      Take a look at KayeWoodTV.com!
      Be the first of your friends to enjoy Kaye's Quilting Friends, right from your computer! Now the show you love, can be accessed at just the click of your mouse! With 22 different shows to choose from, you will find that Kaye and her guests provide exceptional TV programming, that will offer a variety of quilting and sewing projects for every skill level. Furthermore, you can watch these shows anytime it's convenient for you! So what are you waiting for? Click that link and enjoy!

      April Food #3-The Left-handed Whopper
      In 1998 Burger King published a full page advertisement in USA Today announcing the introduction of a new item to their menu: a "Left-Handed Whopper", specially designed for the 32 million left-handed Americans. According to the advertisement, the new whopper included the same ingredients as the original Whopper (lettuce, tomato, hamburger patty, etc.), but all the condiments were rotated 180 degrees for the benefit of their left-handed customers.

      We want your tips!
      Do you have a special little tip that has worked for you, that you'd like to share? We are always open to new things and would like to hear about them! Just e-mail your tip to me at the address below and it will find a place in our newsletter!
      mailto:joyce@...?subject=sharewithus

      1. My Dad who is 80 yrs. old, my sisters who are 62 and 48 yrs. old, and myself,
      50 yrs. old, are all quilters! We use a Dritz thread holder, because we like the cones of thread you use on sergers, and one day the long piece that holds the cone snapped off. I suggested using the paper towel holder instead. The top screws off and we just put the cone on and screwed the top back on. This holder had a small dowel on the base to hold the towels in place while ripping them off the roll. This dowel held the cone of thread almost as good as the Dritz thread holder! I guess one will find a way to get a project done, with what we have! It's not profound, but it sure worked! Shelley W.
      2. I put a scrap piece of carpeting, underneath my machine. It keeps the machine from moving and deadens the sound. As a bonus, I found that I can use the corner of the carpet in the front, to catch and hold little snips of thread. After a pile has collected,
      I can usually roll my hand over the top of them, wad them up and throw them into the trash! I'm sure a remnant from a carpet store, could be purchased for a couple of dollars if you don't have one on hand. Lisa N.
      3.
      Another tip is to save the length of thread from your machine when you change the spool. I was told that we should never pull the thread backwards through the machine when changing spools, and I got tired of wasting those lengths of thread. My solution was to clip the thread at the spool and pull the loose piece through the machine from the needle. This helps keep your machines tension wire safe. I then take that length of thread and either put it into a hand sewing needle and a pincushion, or hang the ends over a stuffed animal I have near my machine for later use.
      The length of the thread is just right for hand sewing. Lisa N.
      4.
      The tip Caroline W. sent about making a knot in the thread end that comes off the spool can cause you problems. Thread has a wrap to it and you will be sewing against the natural twist of the thread if you make the knot first. The thread will twist up onto itself as you sew. Thanks for your newsletter. Lisa N.

      News from the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative

      "The Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative will be running the
      "You Snooze, You Lose" Reverse Auction from March 30th to April 4th at
      www.AlzQuilts.org with all profit to fund Alzheimer's research. Fifteen very small quilts will be available for purchase at all times. As soon as one sells, another will replace it. Prices for all quilts will be reduced around noon (EST) every day, starting Monday. So, if you find a quilt you love, but it's out of your price range, just wait. Don't wait too long or someone else will buy it first! (That's the Snoozing and Losing part.) Refresh your browser often as quilts will be changing frequently. They have hundreds to sell! Join the fun!!"

      Show & Tell
      Here is a beautiful quilt from one of our readers to view! Thanks to all of you that submit and share your quilts and stories with us! I know everyone enjoys them as much as I do!

      This is a quilt and label that I made for my new grandniece: Anna Lynn.
      Her parents love the beach. This quilt should help remind them of their days
      at the beach and maybe Anna can get to the beach soon. Kathleen.

      If you'd like to check out even more wonderful quilts made by our readers,
      just click the link.
      If you'd like to submit your quilt to our Show & Tell page, just e-mail your
      picture and story, 50 words or less please, to Terrye at the following address.
      mailto:terrye@...?subject=show_n_tell
      You can also mail a non-returnable picture along with your story to this address;
      We'd love the chance to show off your work, so send them in.

      April Fool #4-Providence, Rhode Island closes for the day!
      Carolyn Fox, a disc jockey for WHJY in Providence, Rhode Island, announced in 1986 that the 'Providence Labor Action Relations Board Committee' had decided to close the city for the day. She gave out a number for listeners to call for more information. The number was that of a rival station, WPRO-AM. Reportedly hundreds of people called WPRO, as well as City Hall and the police. Even more called into their offices to see if they had to go into work.
      A brand new quilting cruise is in the works!
      Join Kaye and the Roundbobbin group, for a fantastic Mother's Day Sew Fun Cruise!
      May 10th thru May 18th, 2008
      What better way to celebrate motherhood, than on a great cruise just for you! Pack a bag, grab your passport and set sail on the Carnival Liberty Fun Ship,

      to these wonderful, exotic ports of call!
      Ft. Lauderdale
      *****Panama*****Costa Maya*****Costa Rica
      For more info, call Bonnie at Cruise One!
      1-800-784-4480
      Or go to
      http://www.roundbobbin.com

      April Fool #5-PETA’s Tournament of Sleeping Fish
      In 2000 PETA warned that it planned to sabotage the bass fishing tournament in East Texas's Lake Palestine, by releasing tranquilizers into the lake before the tournament. Their announcement stated that "this year, the fish will be napping, not nibbling". State officials took the threat seriously and stationed rangers around the lake in order to stop any tranquilizer-toting PETA activists, from drugging the fish.. Eventually PETA admitted that it had been joking.
       I've Learned....
      Maturity has more to do with what types of experiences you've had and what you've learned from them, and less with how many birthdays you've celebrated.
      No matter how bad your heart is broken, the world doesn't stop for your grief.
      We don't have to change friends if we understand that friends change.
      If you don't want to forget something, stick it in your underwear drawer.
      No matter the consequences, those who are honest with themselves, get farther in life.
      The people you care about most in life, are taken from you too soon.

      Would you like updates sent to your e-mail when a new show premiers? Join our list and you'll be the first in your crowd to receive a notice!
      Kaye's all new blog.
      It's all new and written totally by Kaye, just for you! Find out what is going on in Kaye's life and the world of quilting!
      http://www.kayes-quilting-friends.blogspot.com/
      Kaye Wood Inc. Catalog
      Our catalog is available online, anytime, anywhere! Convenient shopping day or night!

      List your event

      April Fool #6-The Taco Liberty Bell
      In 1996 the Taco Bell Corporation announced that it had bought the Liberty Bell and was renaming it the Taco Liberty Bell. Hundreds of outraged citizens called the National Historic Park in Philadelphia, where the bell was housed to express their anger. Their nerves were only calmed when Taco Bell revealed a few hours later, that it was all a practical joke. The best line of the day came when White House press secretary Mike McCurry was asked about the sale. Thinking on his feet, he responded that the Lincoln Memorial had also been sold. It would now be known as the Ford- Lincoln-Mercury Memorial.

      If you prefer to place your order by phone, you can call us toll-free at;

      This message was sent to you because you previously indicated you would like to receive announcements of new events and special promotions. To unsubscribe, click the link and send an e-mail to:
      mailto:terrye@...?subject=unsubhtml