Re: Clear Creek - last 9 of 18 miles maybe?

  • Tim
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 1 12:02 PM
      Well it wasn't perfect - even in the 70's it was quite humid. But it was pretty wonderful. About four logjams, including one the size of a semi-truck, but from 600N/SR 16 on down it was pretty much wide open! Reminded me of a small version of the Wabash River. But with three times as many white water riffles/rapids! And a few of the same large boulders. Felt it dropped about 10-15 feet in four miles! Took out at Rangeline Road. Flushed a deer at the take-out. Earlier I rammed a fish!? 6 miles. 2 1/2 hours. 3 miles left of the 18! And it's 3 miles of no bridges. Just one big, long, twisty, uncivilized run to the Wabash River! Can't wait to finish. Hopefully done with the logjams. Tim

      --- In kayakfw@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <tim.weybright@...> wrote:

      > Seems too perfect conditions not to at least try to finish the last 9 of the 18 mile Clear Creek, northeast of Huntington. Temperature in the 70's. No rain (so far). Water's up from all this contant, intermittent raining. Putting in about 5 PM at the almost completed bridge under construction, 800N & 400W, Huntington Co. Trying to take out 3 or so hours later where the creek empties into the Wabash River, west of Huntington on US 24, just west of Norwood Road. Tim
      >
      > --- In kayakfw@yahoogroups.com, "tom" <farmington_brewing@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Who would think that you need a chain saw while kayaking.

    • ti24113tw
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 9, 2014
        The last three miles of Clear Creek, put-in at Rangeline Road, take-out somewhere on the Wabash River.
        One of the longest paddle stretches I've done without a bridge for a landmark or a Plan B escape route if the lumber proved to be too much.  I was worried that there would be a lot of trees across and logjams and what with the high, fast water from the Spring rains and flooding prior to this - Sat. April 5th, 2014.  I figured if it seemed iffy I would just continue on down the road past Wabash and do that big, wide river, taking advantage of that same said fast current.  It turned out that it was wonderful.  The water level was such that it was fast, but not so fast to rush you, and yet it was regularly just only about one foot deep!  So you could probably just stand up and walk out to the bank.  I really recommend we all come back and do this stretch.  The drop over these three miles created like a dozen rapids/riffles or whatever you call 4-6 inch waves and the one rapids was one foot waves!  So it was like a creek, narrow, baby version of the Wabash River!  Very exhilerating!  There were four spots with trees clear across but I was about to climb over or squeeze by all of them without having to portage.  I spooked two Canada geese who then landed at the feet of a little raccoon on a little spit of sand, who seemed so young that as I paddled past him he either didn't notice me or didn't know enough to be afraid of me and run for it.  I said "hello" and continued away and he never did seem to mind!  When I reached where the creek empties into the Wabash River, near Norwood Road, just outside of the west side of Huntington, under US 24, the creek turned into a backwater, because the Wabash was so high it was backflooding the creek back upstream.  I took out two tenths of a mile downstream of the Wabash at a deadend frontage road on the south side of US 24.  So, finally,  I've done the whole of Clear Creek, north of Laud (Columbia City area) to west of Huntington.
      • ti24113tw
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 10, 2014
          So from Jan.'13 - Apr.'14, 6 trips, 18 1/2 miles, total 9 1/2 hours paddling(/bushwhacking) time.  The last 5 1/2 miles pretty open - putting in at SR16/600N.  Tim
        • ruth birch
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 10, 2014
             Goood for you and it's not even warm yet!!  I bet you are just getting started.