Re: [kayakfw] Re: sturgeon river

  • Larry Swearingen
    Message 1 of 4 , May 29, 2012
      Hi Jim,
      Larry Swearingen from Fort Wayne here.
      I’ve been talking to Nick about running the Sturgeon since before we left home last week
      and right now the plans are to run it Thursday, but not sure of the time yet.
      We just did 4 days on the Little Manistee and Pine rivers.   Good fun !
      I’m in a Grayling McDonalds right now and planning on running up to scout the river
      this afternoon.
      Larry Swearingen
      Fort Wayne

      Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 10:37 AM
      Subject: [kayakfw] Re: sturgeon river

      Ann, Where did you guys put-in for the Sturgeon,,,Wolverine?
      We're planning to do it Thursday.
      Jim
      --- In mailto:kayakfw%40yahoogroups.com, "Ann Blue" <bluegirl0178@...> wrote:

      > Hi gang,
      > we
      just got back from a weekend of Pure Michigan. We went up to the Cheboygan area and it was beautiful. We stayed on the intercoastal waterway and kayaked out to Lake Huron. We found ourselves among some pretty high dollar watercraft! I could just hear them thinking "oh you silly little kayakers!!!! The waterway took us around a dam and then on our return we entered the lock and let the water rise. It was a first for both of us! An awesome cheap thrill at 6 bucks apiece. The high point was our three hour paddle on the Sturgeon River this morning. Its a spring fed stream, narrow with a mighty current and tons of twists and turns. We had our hands full reading the water and navigating all the surprises the sturgeon served up! This is not a river for beginners. Intermediats would have an awesome time on it tho! We jumped in at Indian River jsut south of Cheboygan.
      > We also peddled the Mackinaw to Alpena bike trail. Its one of
      the rails to trails and the surface is level and nice with fine crushed limestone.These trails are all over the state and run along Huron and skirt the nice inland lakes up there. It would take years to get it all travelled. That was fun too. We ended up at Aloha State Park and got a road beer. Boy did that taste good! I didnt want to come home. Not sure Ill play this week. Im played out!