Re: Cedarville Reservoir to be lowered

  • psalm34810
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
      Great! Maybe it will kill off some of the cyanobacteria in the blue green algae! Stuff is nasty and common in waterways during the Spring and Fall.

      By the way, for recorded information for Fort Wayne outdoor water quality, call: 260-427-2297. When last tested, the St. Joe and the Maumee were considered unsafe due to e coli counts. Don't know about other harmful stuff . . .

      Slowly working on a project to have precautions-and-tips posted at every public access point to waterways in Allen County. Please email me if you would like to help or to give feedback to the initial drafts. email: psalm34810@...

      Take care and be sure to rinse your gear after paddling! Julie

      --- In kayakfw@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <brady.jt@...> wrote:

      > Anyone see this?
      >
      > http://www.wane.com/dpp/news/local/cedarville-reservoir-to-be-lowered
      > <http://www.wane.com/dpp/news/local/cedarville-reservoir-to-be-lowered>
      >

      > Updated: Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012, 8:57 PM EST
      > Published : Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012, 8:57 PM EST
      >
      > CEDARVILLE, Ind. (WANE) - Fort Wayne City Utilities will lower the level
      > of the Cedarville Reservoir beginning March 2 to inspect the
      > Cedarville Dam. It will take about two days for the reservoir to be
      > drained completely.
      >
      > In order to inspect the dam and make any repairs that may be needed, the
      > reservoir will remain empty through the end of March.
      >
      > Residents with properties on the reservoir are advised to take any
      > precautions with boats or docks that they would take when anticipating
      > a period of very dry weather.

    • Tim
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 4, 2012
        "...the St. Joe and the Maumee were considered unsafe..."
        So unsafe for what? drinking? swimming?

        --- In kayakfw@yahoogroups.com, "psalm34810" <psalm34810@...> wrote:

        > Great! Maybe it will kill off some of the cyanobacteria in the blue green algae! Stuff is nasty and common in waterways during the Spring and Fall.
        >
        > By the way, for recorded information for Fort Wayne outdoor water quality, call: 260-427-2297. When last tested, the St. Joe and the Maumee were considered unsafe due to e coli counts. Don't know about other harmful stuff . . .
        >
        > Slowly working on a project to have precautions-and-tips posted at every public access point to waterways in Allen County. Please email me if you would like to help or to give feedback to the initial drafts. email: psalm34810@...
        >
        > Take care and be sure to rinse your gear after paddling! Julie
        >
        > --- In kayakfw@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <brady.jt@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Anyone see this?
        > >
        > > http://www.wane.com/dpp/news/local/cedarville-reservoir-to-be-lowered
        > > <http://www.wane.com/dpp/news/local/cedarville-reservoir-to-be-lowered>
        > >

        > > Updated: Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012, 8:57 PM EST
        > > Published : Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012, 8:57 PM EST
        > >
        > > CEDARVILLE, Ind. (WANE) - Fort Wayne City Utilities will lower the level
        > > of the Cedarville Reservoir beginning March 2 to inspect the
        > > Cedarville Dam. It will take about two days for the reservoir to be
        > > drained completely.
        > >
        > > In order to inspect the dam and make any repairs that may be needed, the
        > > reservoir will remain empty through the end of March.
        > >
        > > Residents with properties on the reservoir are advised to take any
        > > precautions with boats or docks that they would take when anticipating
        > > a period of very dry weather.

      • Julie Horney
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 6, 2012
          Hi Groupies:

          "Unsafe" means for levels of e coli in the water.  Biggest culprit is when Combined Sewer Overflows dump raw sewage into
          waterways downtown when it rains more than .1 inches (71 times last year).  Sooooooo, swimming/boating/drinking the water
          in the waterways mentioned on the recording is as safe as swimming/boating/drinking toilet water.

          Don't like to be graphic but you asked, sir . . .

          Rinse your gear, eh?  Wash your hands, eh?  Indeed!  :Q

          Julie A. Horney
          15806 Timberwillow Dr.
          Huntertown, IN 46748-9271

          Home: 260-637-7414
          Cell: 630-248-1898

          email: psalm34810@...
        • Doreen Mahlstedt
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 7, 2012

            Thanks Julie …. I had no idea it happened so many times last year!

            Doreen

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 7, 2012
              The CSO,s mentioned in the last email do not affect Cedarville Reservoir.  CSO (combined sewer overlfows) mainly affect the St. Joseph, St. Marys and Maumee in Fort Wayne.  I believe that the first CSO outlet on the St. Joe maybe the one just below the dam at Johnny Appleseed Park.  The others exist throughout Fort Wayne and mostly in the older sections of town.

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 7, 2012
                Are there any Sewer Overflows between the Cedarville dam and Shoaff Park ?

                Larry Swearingen
                Fort Wayne,IN

                Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 12:42 PM

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 7, 2012
                  Just look on a map at the towns up stream of Ft wayne on the St Joe, St Warys and Cedar creek, my guess is they all have some overflow problems. Having worked in construction I have worked on the Waterloo, Auburn, Fort Wayne, Columbia city and Pierston sewage plants all trying to boost capacity for just this reason, some of them dont have the direct pipes to the river like Ft Wynae does but when it rains there tanks still over flow. The best news is this does not happen near as often as in years past and they are working on improving even more, FT Wayne has a big project going right now at there plant . I guess the main thing is use common sense, every one knows the rivers are dirty

                  Lets go paddling

                  Jay

                  --- In kayakfw@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swearingen" <larry.swearingen@...> wrote:

                  > Are there any Sewer Overflows between the Cedarville dam and Shoaff Park ?
                  >
                  > Larry Swearingen
                  > Fort Wayne,IN

                • Larry Swearingen
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 8, 2012
                    So what’s the “Common Sense” here then.....don’t go paddling after a rain ?

                    Larry Swearingen

                    Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 9:34 PM

                    --- In mailto:kayakfw%40yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swearingen" <larry.swearingen@...> wrote:

                    > Are there
                    any Sewer Overflows between the Cedarville dam and Shoaff Park ?

                    > Larry Swearingen
                    > Fort Wayne,IN

                    href="mailto:kayakfw%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:kayakfw%40yahoogroups.com
                    > Subject: Re: {Disarmed} [kayakfw] Re: Cedarville Reservoir to be
                    lowered

                    > The CSO,s mentioned in the last email
                    do not affect Cedarville Reservoir. CSO (combined sewer overlfows) mainly affect the St. Joseph, St. Marys and Maumee in Fort Wayne. I believe that the first CSO outlet on the St. Joe maybe the one just below the dam at Johnny Appleseed Park. The others exist throughout Fort Wayne and mostly in the older sections of town.

                    href="mailto:kayakfw%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:kayakfw%40yahoogroups.com [mailto:mailto:kayakfw%40yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Julie Horney
                    > Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 7:54 PM
                    mailto:kayakfw%40yahoogroups.com

                    > Hi Groupies:

                    "Unsafe" means for levels of e coli in the water. Biggest culprit is when Combined Sewer Overflows dump raw sewage into
                    > waterways downtown when it
                    rains more than .1 inches (71 times last year). Sooooooo, swimming/boating/drinking the water
                    > in the waterways mentioned on the
                    recording is as safe as swimming/boating/drinking toilet water.

                    Don't like to be graphic but you asked, sir . . .

                    > Rinse your
                    gear, eh? Wash your hands, eh? Indeed! :Q

                    > Julie A.
                    Horney
                    > 15806 Timberwillow Dr.
                    > Huntertown, IN 46748-9271
                    >
                    > Home: 260-637-7414
                    > Cell: 630-248-1898

                    email: psalm34810@...

                  • Jay Koontz
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 8, 2012
                      Wash your hands before you eat, dont let your water bottle come in contact with the river water, try not to get the water from the river on your face and and clean you gear off after you are done paddling, pretty much what you would do paddling any place.

                    • Larry Swearingen
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 8, 2012
                        I just checked the City of Fort Wayne website on this matter

                        It appears that there are about half a dozen Combined Sewer Outlets between E. State Blvd and the City Limits
                        below I-469 on the St. Joe river.
                        Also:
                        Fort Wayne has a total of 43 CSO’s and Overflows occur about 71 times a year with
                        somewhere around a Billion Gallons of sewage dumped each year.
                        o all that goes down the Maumee right ?  It seems that old tires and trash in the river are
                        the least of our worrys.

                        Larry Swearingen

                        Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2012 8:00 AM

                        Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 9:34 PM
                        > To:
                        href="mailto:kayakfw%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:kayakfw%40yahoogroups.com
                        > Subject: {Disarmed} [kayakfw] Re: Cedarville Reservoir to be
                        lowered

                        > Just look on a map at the towns up stream of
                        Ft wayne on the St Joe, St Warys and Cedar creek, my guess is they all have some overflow problems. Having worked in construction I have worked on the Waterloo, Auburn, Fort Wayne, Columbia city and Pierston sewage plants all trying to boost capacity for just this reason, some of them dont have the direct pipes to the river like Ft Wynae does but when it rains there tanks still over flow. The best news is this does not happen near as often as in years past and they are working on improving even more, FT Wayne has a big project going right now at there plant . I guess the main thing is use common sense, every one knows the rivers are dirty

                        > Lets go paddling
                        >
                        > Jay
                        >
                        > --- In mailto:kayakfw%40yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swearingen"
                        <larry.swearingen@> wrote:

                        > > Are there any Sewer
                        Overflows between the Cedarville dam and Shoaff Park ?

                        > > Larry Swearingen
                        > > Fort Wayne,IN

                        [kayakfw] Re: Cedarville Reservoir to be lowered

                        > > The CSO,s mentioned in the last email do not affect
                        Cedarville Reservoir. CSO (combined sewer overlfows) mainly affect the St. Joseph, St. Marys and Maumee in Fort Wayne. I believe that the first CSO outlet on the St. Joe maybe the one just below the dam at Johnny Appleseed Park. The others exist throughout Fort Wayne and mostly in the older sections of town.

                        Timberwillow Dr.