Re: Fawn River

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
      --- In kayakfw@yahoogroups.com, "havetubawilltravel"
      <havtubawiltravel@a...> wrote:
      > Speaking of the Fawn, has anyone put in at the Nevada Mills Dam and
      run
      > downstream this year? If so, what's it like in terms
      of "passability"--
      > snags, portages, et cetera? It's practically in my back yard, but
      I've
      > never done it and I don't know what to expect..I've never been down
      that stretch of the river, but i'd like to try it. You might want to
      check with the property owners about launching on private property. I
      assume we could park at the church across the street. On the weekends,
      it's in my back yard also. Keith. Don
    • havetubawilltravel
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
        Keith,
        I guess I'll have to do some research at the Courthouse--I know the
        dam itself is on public property, and I recall some fuss about how
        much adjoining land was to be taken by the state the last time they
        rebuilt the dam.
        I'll let you know.
        Don
      • dkcanoe
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 6, 2006
          I'll be there, Dan
        • DKCANOE@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 7, 2006
            Yahoo! Photos

            Fawn River 2006-01-07

            Check out my photos

            dkcanoe has invited you to view a photo album on Yahoo! Photos Here are some pictures of our Fawn River trip. Dan

            View Fawn River 2006-01-07

            Try Yahoo! Photos for yourself Got digital pictures of your own? Upload them to Yahoo! Photos - then share them with friends and even get 35mm-quality prints. Find out more.Get 10 FREE Prints
            Order Prints of dkcanoe's photos for yourself - your first 10 are FREE! Just click "Order Prints" while viewing photos to get started.
            If you can't see the button above, copy and paste this web address into your browser's web address bar: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dkcanoe/album?.dir=/b210&.src=ph&.tok=phucxNEB2nBzJ1Cj

            Copyright © 2006 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy - Terms of Service
          • Steve Brisco
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 26, 2006
              Had a good day paddling on the Fawn River today; I paddled from Star
              Mill put-in just off CR 700 North to the 80/90 overpass and back. I
              only came across one dead fall in the 2.5 miles I paddled up stream,
              and it was not difficult to work around. There was plenty of wildlife
              (the usual turtles, ducks and Great Blue's). The highlight of the day
              was seeing six Sand Hill Cranes, which I was able to float within 30
              feet of and took some pretty good photos. I also saw several Black-
              Crowned Night Herons.

              For those who have not paddled this part of the Fawn River, it is
              weedy in spots, which makes navigating the rive fun. Hope all of you
              paddling tomorrow have a good day on the water.

              Steve B.
            • canoe_tmb
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 8, 2008
                Jay, How was the water level on the Fawn? Did you paddle the Nevada
                Mills section, and you able to paddle over the big downed tree near
                Orland.
              • Jay Koontz
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 8, 2008
                  -Tadd, I paddled with Barry and we went from his place up to Orland and
                  back. The big tree still blocked the river but with the high water we
                  could paddle out and around it. The water is high but nothing like the
                  rivers around here, there where some short cuts to take through the
                  woods but if you bumped a small tree you got covered in snow falling
                  from the branches. We say a Blue bird so Barry says it must be spring.
                  THINK SNOW !!!!!!Jay-- In kayakfw@yahoogroups.com, "canoe_tmb"