Re: Skiing

  • yakqueen64
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 2008
      I'll think snow - I'll also think ice. My pond was freezing nicely,
      but now it's all thawed out. Dan, when will your's be open for
      skating? Robin
    • canoe_tmb
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 1, 2008
        Last I heard due to the extremmly dry summer, Dans skating pond is
        completly dry this year. We may be spending more time Skating on your
        pond this year. --- In kayakfw@yahoogroups.com, "yakqueen64"
        <yakqueen64@...> wrote:

        > I'll think snow - I'll also think ice. My pond was freezing nicely,
        > but now it's all thawed out. Dan, when will your's be open for
        > skating? Robin

      • Chris Braman
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 1, 2008
          I got out Sunday night after dark and did a few laps around the
          Huntington U. soccer fields. So Monday I picked up new key cores for
          my used yakama racks so I can take the skis to work later this week.

          -Chris

          --- In kayakfw@yahoogroups.com, "dkcanoe" <DKCANOE@...> wrote:

          > Did anyone else get their skiis out today. I did a couple laps around
          > my field. Not to bad for the first time this year. Think Snow!! Dan

        • Jay Koontz
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 2, 2008
            Hey Chris, was that on your new skis? it was a good early chance to try
            them out, I have a 1/2 mile long trail around my property only 5 min
            from where you work. Your more than welcom to stop by and ski, I even
            have a trail groomer if we get enough snow.....Jay --- In
            kayakfw@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Braman" <moniousmusic@...> wrote:

            > I got out Sunday night after dark and did a few laps around the
            > Huntington U. soccer fields. So Monday I picked up new key cores for
            > my used yakama racks so I can take the skis to work later this week.
            >
            > -Chris
            >
            > --- In kayakfw@yahoogroups.com, "dkcanoe" <DKCANOE@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Did anyone else get their skiis out today. I did a couple laps
            around
            > > my field. Not to bad for the first time this year. Think Snow!! Dan

          • aaronxcski
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 2, 2008
              Hello from Logansport. XCskiers are hard to find in my neck of the woods, but Eric from Indiana Outfitters recommended this group. My first day skiing this year was Nov 22, at Potato Creek SP near South Bend, with 8" of snow that day. I launched a new website, XCskiIndiana.com  and would love any input you have or any reports on great places to ski.  Thanks!
            • Jay Koontz
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 2, 2008
                -Hi and welcome to the group. yes we do have a few skiers in our group,
                probably 5 or 6 that go a lot and a few more that get out a few times a
                year. I looked at your site and sent you two places we like to go that
                were not on you list. Hope to see you out skiing or Paddling? if you
                are a paddler, if not well get you started.....THINK SNOW !!!!!!!Jay--

                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 3, 2008
                  Jay, Thank you! I received your input about the two places you like
                  to ski and will add them to XCskiIndiana.com shortly. I am definitely
                  THINKING SNOW! As for Kayaking, I would love to get started, though I
                  will wait for warmer water until I learn to stay upright! The Eel
                  River is a beautiful place, and I try to raft or canoe a section of it
                  annually. The water is less turbid than many IN rivers, and has nice
                  riffles, though a bit of portage during dry weather. Thanks again for
                  your tips on where to XC ski in your area.
                • Jay Koontz
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 3, 2008
                    -Just to keep you busy I just sent you two more places to XC ski. If
                    you start kayaking it will be just like skii.ng, you will want to go
                    all the time Let us know if you want to give it a try, most people in
                    our group have a more than 1 boat....Jay-- In

                  • danpaddles@gmail.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 3, 2008
                      Nice web page, I will be with some of the DNR trails people tomorrow, I'll mention it to them.

                      In Central Indiana, Eagle Cr. has nice trails, they sort of groom them. Seems like, we seldom get enough snow to make it worth the effort. But once in a while.........

                      It is a city park, they used to rent skis.

                      http://www.indygov.org/eGov/City/DPR/Parks/List/Eagle+Creek+Park.htm

                      Also, you could ski at Town Run Trail

                      http://www.indygreenways.org/whiteriver/trtp.htm

                      if there is enough snow to ski on, chance are the MTB crowd will stay home.

                      -Dan V. in Indy

                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 3, 2008
                        Jay, thanks for sending more XCski locations and info. And I'd love
                        to get the chance to kayak with your group this next year. Keep me
                        posted this spring when you start planning to get back on the water.
                        By the way, 51 days on skis is excellent! I had about half that last
                        year, but I'm hoping for a good snowy season this year. My wife and I
                        are expecting our fourth and final child in early January, so I'm
                        going to do my best to be helpful and also get out in the snow. I'm a
                        carpenter/contractor and work is slow most winters, so I should have
                        time to ski and be useful around the house too! My oldest is five and
                        I plan to get him started on skis next winter.
                      • aaronxcski
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 3, 2008
                          Dan, thank you for the report and info for the two parks in Indy. I
                          will plan to get these places from you and Jay onto my site within a
                          week. My brother lives and works in the Indy area and is just getting
                          ready to purchase his first pair of XCskis, so he will be thrilled to
                          hear about these places. ...So now there's one more person praying for
                          big snow in Indy!
                        • jimjand
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 3, 2008
                            Hi Aaron, I checked your website. Good job, nice format. Hope it
                            takes off.
                            The only "event" I saw was the Birke. I've done the Worldloppet
                            series and many other ski races in the midwest. If you're interested
                            in doing some events yourself, email me and we can talk you about the
                            ones I know. I'm mostly retired from racing, but I will still tour an
                            event now and then.
                            I'll still hit the road to chase snow if the conditions are nice.
                            Here in Ind. I'll mostly ski out my back door, Pokagon, and go to
                            Chain O'Lakes if others want to. Maybe Love Creek for a quick day
                            trip to skate ski. But mostly tour classical now.
                            Did Jay add Fox Island in Ft Wayne? I think they rent too??

                            My thinking's confused, paddling or skiing??
                            Jim

                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 4, 2008
                              Jim, I would greatly appreciate hearing your recommendations for
                              Midwest races/events. I just found the schedule for all the races in
                              the Michigan Cup, and will plan to add that to the events. I will do
                              a similar search for Wisconsin, Illinois and Ohio. Jay used the
                              XCskiIndiana Contact form to let me know about Fox Island CP as well
                              as Merry Lee Enviro Ctr, Huntington Res, and Metea CP. And Dan tipped
                              me off to two great parks in Indy. ...I greatly appreciate all the input!

                              As interest in XCskiIndiana.com grows and more skiers get connected,
                              I'd love to help plan a recreational ski event in Northern Indiana
                              (where the snow is fairly dependable!).

                              Thanks again, Jim, and I will look forward to receiving your
                              recommended XCski races and events. -Aaron