Wed evening paddle 5:30

  • Jay Koontz
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2008
      Lets paddle chain o lakes wednesday, meet at the ramp at 5:30. The
      weather man says 54 and sun for wednesday. To find the ramp just take
      the first right after you pass the gate house and follow that road to
      the ramp. The water should be plenty high in the channels , might have
      to duck under some of the bridges .....Jay
    • havetubawilltravel
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 2, 2008
        I can't be on the road for that long tonight(it's about an hour each
        way for me to Chain-o-Lakes, and my wife says I HAVE to do the taxes),
        but I can spend an hour or so, SO:
        I'll be paddling the first basin of Crooked Lake for about forty-five
        minutes this evening, starting at 4:30 p.m. Anyone in the area
        wanting a quick workout is welcome to join me: 2905 W. Sycamore Beach
        Road, Angola(half-a-mile west of the Sunset Inn, a log cabin with a
        white Dodge Dakota in the drive). Otherwise, I'll see you this weekend
        or next week or something.

        Don

        --- In kayakfw@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Koontz" <joycekoontz@...> wrote:

        > Lets paddle chain o lakes wednesday, meet at the ramp at 5:30. The
        > weather man says 54 and sun for wednesday. To find the ramp just take
        > the first right after you pass the gate house and follow that road to
        > the ramp. The water should be plenty high in the channels , might
        have
        > to duck under some of the bridges .....Jay

      • canoe_tmb
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 3, 2008
          We would like to here a tripe report form you Wednesday paddlers,
          water level, beaver dams or mysterious colored water foul.

          --- In kayakfw@yahoogroups.com, "havetubawilltravel"

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 3, 2008
            The level of Crooked is the highest, for the longest period, that
            I've seen it in the time I've lived on this lake(going on 21 years).
            It's usually a foot or so below the top of my seawall, but has now
            for about three months been at the top or within a couple of inches
            of the top. The sun was very bright, and the water cold and as clear
            as Crooked gets (it's had all winter to settle, and the summer people
            with their powerboat flatulen- uh, I mean TURBULENCE and fertilizer
            runoff have yet to stir-and-stimulate it to its usual summer
            turbidity).

            I launched a few minutes before five p.m., mild breeze from the
            southeast and four-inch waves (no problem). Paddled east along the
            north shore of the first basin and continued 'round to the County
            Park ("76 Point"), just short of the public boat ramp, when I
            consulted my watch and figured I had just enough time to get back,
            cutting straight across the lake, by 5:30 when SheWhoMustBeObeyed
            indicated dinner would hit the table.

            Landed, racked paddle and 'yak, shed boots, PFD, windbreaker and
            mittens, and walked quickly-but-not-quite-hurrying across the street
            to my dinner.

            Wildlife: No other boaters. One goose as I approached 76 Point, and
            it seemed intent on decoying me away from the point (and honking at
            me). Perhaps a nest nearby? As I made my turn, a very small fish
            broke the surface and dived, on the side AWAY from the goose--maybe I
            was invading the bird's fishing spot? Anyway, that was it for the
            wildlife.

            Turns out dinner, which had not yet grown cold when I arrived, was
            a "Weight Watchers" recipe that "we" had not yet tried. SWMBO didn't
            care for it but the dog and I thought it was delicious (I was on the
            water, paddling continuously, for 32 minutes; I would likely have
            cheerfully and enthusiastically eaten paper towels in marinara
            sauce). As I haven't paddled at all for four months, the shoulders
            are pleasantly-but-not-painfully stiff this morning, so it shouldn't
            take long to get back into shape. Bring on the Wabash! Or at least
            Cedar Creek!!

            Respectfully submitted,
            D.P. Shively, esq.

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 3, 2008
              Don, thanks for the very entertaining trip report. I can't wait to
              read your next paddle trip summary, that one was amusing to
              read.

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 14, 2008
                A few of us are going to paddle the Waldron lakes chain, meet at the
                public ramp at 5:30 Wednesday. With the high price of gas if any one
                from Ft wayne wants to car pool let us know, Fred and I both can drive
                and betwen us we can haul 7 boats and people. We have 3 going from the
                Ft wayne area now, maybe 4 so we could still add 3 more for sure. One
                more thing they are calling for upper 60s and sun, I hope thats not to
                hot for every one.....Jay
              • Jeannie
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 14, 2008
                  where is the Waldrun Lakes chain, Jay?
                • pkleonard7
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 14, 2008
                    Jay, my question as well. Where are the Waldron lakes?

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 14, 2008
                      Wladron lake is just west of Rome city, coming from the north on Hy 9
                      you turn on the first street after you cross the bridge over the outlet
                      to sylvan lake. I am not sure what this rd is called in town but its
                      the main road going west and its count rd 1000n after you get out of
                      town follow that till you get to cr 1050n keep going west until you see
                      cr n125w, go south on 125w to the ramp. Its only a few miles west of
                      Rome city. From the south if you go up hy 9 when you get to Hy 6 just
                      keep going north , that will be baseline rd, go north to the t and go
                      left on w900n , go west on 900 and then north on cr n125w here is a
                      good map source to look at http://maps.live.com/.....Jay--- In

                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 14, 2008
                        I kind of got my name in the map link , try this one
                        http://maps.live.com/ its best to use the ariel ones with lables, you
                        can see the lakes and roads.....Jay
                      • Horney, Steve - SSD
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 14, 2008

                          Noticing a trend wherein Jay and his merry band of retirees routinely set up exciting, but distant kayaking adventures which are challenging for many working folks to attend, I propose the following:  Let’s establish Local Tuesdays, providing nearby paddling opportunities at a reasonable time for workers (perhaps 6:00 or 6:30 pm, taking advantage of daylight savings time) to allow those who are new or time challenged the opportunities to paddle with a group nearby.  Jay could continue with “Safari Wednesdays”, providing opportunities for those with the time to stretch their wings (paddles?) on new and distant waters.  This should be augmented by a good dose of Saturday paddles in fun places as well that all could attend.  What think ye? J

                          This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be proprietary and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of ITT Corporation. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. ITT accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.
                        • pkleonard7
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 14, 2008
                            A voice of reason in the watery wilderness!

                            You have an enthusiastic "Aye" from Marion!!

                            Pete

                            --- In kayakfw@yahoogroups.com, "Horney, Steve - SSD"

                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 14, 2008
                              -Steve, I try to set up trips in different areas, you have to remember
                              whats local for you is not always local for other members of the group.
                              This year I have been doing some wed because some people cant paddle
                              Tue. I have done some Tuesdays also for the same reason some cant go
                              wed. I was thinking next week since we have more day lite I would
                              switch to 6:00 to make it easier for working folks. Its just not
                              possible to make it convenient for every one so feel free to post a
                              trip, this board is open to any one . We only ask, post a time and
                              place, don't change it at the last min and then be there to paddle no
                              mater what the weather is like, no one likes to drive to a paddle and
                              then not find any one there. Also remember not every one can check this
                              board at work so try to post a day ahead and stick to that
                              plan......Jay-- In
                            • Jay Koontz