Re: Mississinewa Lake Saturday paddle

  • yakqueen64
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
      Barry and I are thinking of doing this paddle - are you saying it's
      shallow enough that we should bring plastic boats? Sounded like a
      lovely place . . . I love all that big water. Robin

      --- In kayakfw@yahoogroups.com, "canoe_tmb" <canoe_tmb@...> wrote:

      > Mississinewa Lake Reservoir paddle with its 3,180 acres' of remote
      > water to traverse. Jay and I put in at LaFontaine access on the
      east
      > end of the reservoir and paadle to the dam and observation mound.
      This
      > lake has a lot to offer with its many islands bays numerous types
      of
      > birds which we would need Lanelle to help us identify. The
      > Mississinewa has some of the most fascinating and colorful high
      rock
      > cliffs that over look the lake and also provide some good photo
      > opportunities. Jay did put a small ding in his wooden kayak form a
      > hidden rock. He needs a bigger and deeper reservoir to paddle his
      > kayak. We did have a bonus to the trip; we got lost and spent an
      extra
      > forty minutes trying to find our way to the take out among the
      lakes
      > bays and islands. It is incredible to be lost on an Indiana lake
      but
      > this added to the adventure of the day. I can mention that Jay had
      the
      > map and compass. Seven hours after we put in with only a short
      rest
      > for lunch we arrived back at the Lafontaine take out. The only
      surprise
      > was that we arrived from a completely different direction which we
      left
      > the car at. With a no wake zone this lake is a highly recommended
      > paddle. The Mississinewa was named by the Miami Indians as Mas-
      pis-
      > sin-e-way "meaning (much fall in the water) as to regards to the
      rivers
      > once many rapids.

    • Jay Koontz
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
        Hi Robin, take you good boats its all deep and its big. I just wasen't
        paying attention near shore and hit a rock, no damage to by boat. It
        does have a rocky shore line in most places, even some rock cliffs but
        did have a few sandy spots. I checked on the Gmaps page and estimated
        Tadd and I went about 28 to 30 miles.. We put in at lafontane small
        boat ramp and paddled to the dam. We took HY 13 south out of Wabash
        and then CR 50 went to the pit in. I will try to post some pictures
        latter . I hope this helps , if you have any questions Barry has my
        Phone# give me a call. You will like the place, A loat like Hudson
        lake but 4 times as big.......Jay

        Here is a link to a lake map, If you can zoom in some and then print it
        http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/properties/maps/2007/mississinewa_trail.
        pdf