Re: Skiing

  • yakqueen64
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1, 2007
      I seriously doubt that we'd have enough snow up at Pokagon - maybe in
      some areas, but not enough for a good glide. More of a sort-of-glide
      and then a good flail as you hit an unburied twig or leaf. I hear they
      have 20 inches up by Lake Michigan (Indiana Sand Dunes). I'm hoping to
      drag my kids up there - maybe Sunday. Saturday I'm open to skating on
      my pond in the PM (AM I'm dealing w/Solo/ensamble in Angola). However,
      I still haven't shovelled my pond, so I'm unsure of ice quality. I'll
      let you know more tomorrow afternoon, if anyone is interested. Robin
    • dkcanoe
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 16, 2007
        I stopped at Shoaf after work today for a little skiing and saw Renee
        taking her ski's for a walk???? Dan
      • Fred
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 7, 2008
          Jay and I went skiing at the Chain of Lakes on Thirsday. The weather
          was excellent and the snow was fine. Part of one of the trails was
          flooded so we had to go across some ice where the water was real
          shallow Jay thought the snow was a little slow but I liked that when
          going down the hills. We saw a hawk beside the road trying to devour a
          squirrel it had caught. We were right beside it before it decided to
          fly away. It tried to take the squirrel with it but apparently it was
          too heavy as it dropped the squirrel while taking flight. It was a
          nice time but, now that Jay decided to go downhill skiing (in Michigan)
          with his daughter for a few, I had no one to ski with today. Clifford
          seems to have taken a sabbatical from skiing this year so we apparently
          won't get to see him (and his new kayak) again until "normal" kayaking
          season begins.
          Fred
        • dkcanoe
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 30, 2008
            Did anyone else get their skiis out today. I did a couple laps around
            my field. Not to bad for the first time this year. Think Snow!! Dan
          • yakqueen64
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 1, 2008
              I'll think snow - I'll also think ice. My pond was freezing nicely,
              but now it's all thawed out. Dan, when will your's be open for
              skating? Robin
            • canoe_tmb
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 1, 2008
                Last I heard due to the extremmly dry summer, Dans skating pond is
                completly dry this year. We may be spending more time Skating on your
                pond this year. --- In kayakfw@yahoogroups.com, "yakqueen64"
                <yakqueen64@...> wrote:

                > I'll think snow - I'll also think ice. My pond was freezing nicely,
                > but now it's all thawed out. Dan, when will your's be open for
                > skating? Robin

              • Chris Braman
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 1, 2008
                  I got out Sunday night after dark and did a few laps around the
                  Huntington U. soccer fields. So Monday I picked up new key cores for
                  my used yakama racks so I can take the skis to work later this week.

                  -Chris

                  --- In kayakfw@yahoogroups.com, "dkcanoe" <DKCANOE@...> wrote:

                  > Did anyone else get their skiis out today. I did a couple laps around
                  > my field. Not to bad for the first time this year. Think Snow!! Dan

                • Jay Koontz
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 2, 2008
                    Hey Chris, was that on your new skis? it was a good early chance to try
                    them out, I have a 1/2 mile long trail around my property only 5 min
                    from where you work. Your more than welcom to stop by and ski, I even
                    have a trail groomer if we get enough snow.....Jay --- In
                    kayakfw@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Braman" <moniousmusic@...> wrote:

                    > I got out Sunday night after dark and did a few laps around the
                    > Huntington U. soccer fields. So Monday I picked up new key cores for
                    > my used yakama racks so I can take the skis to work later this week.
                    >
                    > -Chris
                    >
                    > --- In kayakfw@yahoogroups.com, "dkcanoe" <DKCANOE@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Did anyone else get their skiis out today. I did a couple laps
                    around
                    > > my field. Not to bad for the first time this year. Think Snow!! Dan

                  • aaronxcski
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 2, 2008
                      Hello from Logansport. XCskiers are hard to find in my neck of the woods, but Eric from Indiana Outfitters recommended this group. My first day skiing this year was Nov 22, at Potato Creek SP near South Bend, with 8" of snow that day. I launched a new website, XCskiIndiana.com  and would love any input you have or any reports on great places to ski.  Thanks!
                    • Jay Koontz
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 2, 2008
                        -Hi and welcome to the group. yes we do have a few skiers in our group,
                        probably 5 or 6 that go a lot and a few more that get out a few times a
                        year. I looked at your site and sent you two places we like to go that
                        were not on you list. Hope to see you out skiing or Paddling? if you
                        are a paddler, if not well get you started.....THINK SNOW !!!!!!!Jay--

                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 3, 2008
                          Jay, Thank you! I received your input about the two places you like
                          to ski and will add them to XCskiIndiana.com shortly. I am definitely
                          THINKING SNOW! As for Kayaking, I would love to get started, though I
                          will wait for warmer water until I learn to stay upright! The Eel
                          River is a beautiful place, and I try to raft or canoe a section of it
                          annually. The water is less turbid than many IN rivers, and has nice
                          riffles, though a bit of portage during dry weather. Thanks again for
                          your tips on where to XC ski in your area.
                        • Jay Koontz
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 3, 2008
                            -Just to keep you busy I just sent you two more places to XC ski. If
                            you start kayaking it will be just like skii.ng, you will want to go
                            all the time Let us know if you want to give it a try, most people in
                            our group have a more than 1 boat....Jay-- In

                          • danpaddles@gmail.com
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 3, 2008
                              Nice web page, I will be with some of the DNR trails people tomorrow, I'll mention it to them.

                              In Central Indiana, Eagle Cr. has nice trails, they sort of groom them. Seems like, we seldom get enough snow to make it worth the effort. But once in a while.........

                              It is a city park, they used to rent skis.

                              http://www.indygov.org/eGov/City/DPR/Parks/List/Eagle+Creek+Park.htm

                              Also, you could ski at Town Run Trail

                              http://www.indygreenways.org/whiteriver/trtp.htm

                              if there is enough snow to ski on, chance are the MTB crowd will stay home.

                              -Dan V. in Indy

                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 3, 2008
                                Jay, thanks for sending more XCski locations and info. And I'd love
                                to get the chance to kayak with your group this next year. Keep me
                                posted this spring when you start planning to get back on the water.
                                By the way, 51 days on skis is excellent! I had about half that last
                                year, but I'm hoping for a good snowy season this year. My wife and I
                                are expecting our fourth and final child in early January, so I'm
                                going to do my best to be helpful and also get out in the snow. I'm a
                                carpenter/contractor and work is slow most winters, so I should have
                                time to ski and be useful around the house too! My oldest is five and
                                I plan to get him started on skis next winter.
                              • aaronxcski
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 3, 2008
                                  Dan, thank you for the report and info for the two parks in Indy. I
                                  will plan to get these places from you and Jay onto my site within a
                                  week. My brother lives and works in the Indy area and is just getting
                                  ready to purchase his first pair of XCskis, so he will be thrilled to
                                  hear about these places. ...So now there's one more person praying for
                                  big snow in Indy!
                                • jimjand
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 3, 2008
                                    Hi Aaron, I checked your website. Good job, nice format. Hope it
                                    takes off.
                                    The only "event" I saw was the Birke. I've done the Worldloppet
                                    series and many other ski races in the midwest. If you're interested
                                    in doing some events yourself, email me and we can talk you about the
                                    ones I know. I'm mostly retired from racing, but I will still tour an
                                    event now and then.
                                    I'll still hit the road to chase snow if the conditions are nice.
                                    Here in Ind. I'll mostly ski out my back door, Pokagon, and go to
                                    Chain O'Lakes if others want to. Maybe Love Creek for a quick day
                                    trip to skate ski. But mostly tour classical now.
                                    Did Jay add Fox Island in Ft Wayne? I think they rent too??

                                    My thinking's confused, paddling or skiing??
                                    Jim

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 4, 2008
                                      Jim, I would greatly appreciate hearing your recommendations for
                                      Midwest races/events. I just found the schedule for all the races in
                                      the Michigan Cup, and will plan to add that to the events. I will do
                                      a similar search for Wisconsin, Illinois and Ohio. Jay used the
                                      XCskiIndiana Contact form to let me know about Fox Island CP as well
                                      as Merry Lee Enviro Ctr, Huntington Res, and Metea CP. And Dan tipped
                                      me off to two great parks in Indy. ...I greatly appreciate all the input!

                                      As interest in XCskiIndiana.com grows and more skiers get connected,
                                      I'd love to help plan a recreational ski event in Northern Indiana
                                      (where the snow is fairly dependable!).

                                      Thanks again, Jim, and I will look forward to receiving your
                                      recommended XCski races and events. -Aaron