'Traffic cops must stop Dadar cabbie menace'

  • <ravindra@...>
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2014
      Nitasha Natu & Richa Pinto, TNN

      ‘Traffic cops must stop Dadar cabbie menace’

      Despite being alerted by an activist about cabbies parking vehicles haphazardly outside Dadar East station and soliciting customers, a traffic constable on duty did nothing to act against them.

      The activist, Bhaskar Prabhu, has now dashed emails to traffic police department's top brass, demanding that measures be taken to curb the menace. Prabhu is convenor of the Maharashtra RTI Council. Various citizens' groups have come out in his support and written to the Matunga traffic police outpost in whose jurisdiction the area outside the station lies.

      "There is a proper metered taxi queue in place, but it is blocked by groups of cabbies parking haphazardly. These cabbies corner passengers and demand exorbitant charges from them. Some of them venture inside the station to solicit customers. I came across a group of drivers playing cards after having parked their vehicles haphazardly. When I brought this to the notice of a traffic constable on duty, he failed to note down the registration number of the taxis concerned. In his presence, the drivers mocked at me and asked if they should move to my house to play cards," said Prabhu.

      Prabhu demanded to know the constable's name, but the latter had turned his name-tag to face downwards. He claimed to have paid for the name-tag out of his own pocket so only he could decide how to place it. "He said that I was free to complain to the senior inspector or the chief minister, if I wanted to. I was taken aback," Prabhu said. The activist then went to the traffic police website to post an online complaint but found the link did not work.

      When contacted, a top traffic official said he was not aware of the matter. "Four traffic constables are posted at Dadar station to ensure passengers are not fleeced. Regular enforcement drives are conducted and those who refuse to ply passengers are prosecuted."