Fwd: Waste management and Mindtree

  • Ronak Sutaria
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9 7:51 AM

      IT services company Mindtree wants to revolutionise waste management through ‘I Got Garbage’

      Alessio Pieroni | On 30, Dec 2013

      After 1100 km of Jagriti Yatra’s journey we reached Bangalore. Indian’s Silicon Valley gave us the opportunity to explore  how technology  is  changing India. During the day we had the chance to hear a talk from Subroto Batgchi, chairman of Mindtree, and a panel discussion with the CEO of Flipkart, EcoPay and Exotel. But the talk that impressed us the most was the one by Prashant Mehra, Project Manager of ‘I got Garbage’ in Mindtree.

      Prashant joined Mindtree 14 years ago and was managing their business in Europe. Two years ago, while he was in London with his wife, he realized that he should have used his skills and knowledge for a higher purpose: serving the bottom of the pyramid. For this reason he quit his job and moved to a village in Bihar, without a clear plan in  mind. This experience shook him so much that he decided to come to Bangalore and seek  help from Mindtree to fulfil his dream of  improving the waste management system.

      That was the beginning of his new journey as an intrapreneur in Mindtree “I don’t see any differences between being an entrepreneur and being an intrapreneur. Obviously Mindtree invested in my idea, but it would have been the same with other venture capitalists.  There is a perfect alignment between my vision and the one of Mindtree,” says Prashant.

      His ambitious project is named ‘I got garbage’ and aims to change waste management by transforming the way  ragpickers live. “I consider them micro entrepreneurs. They are very inefficient, but still they make money. They earn around one to five dollars a day and are really hard working. What no one knows is that ragpickers have a life expectancy of 39 years and that a lot of children are doing this job. It’s even more dangerous because they are forced to do the job in the night,” explained Prashant.

      I got garbage, also wants to tackle the waste management problems that are usually under estimated. And he wants to do it starting in Bangalore. “Today Bangalore generates 1.5 to 2 per cent of all of India’s garbage. That corresponds to 600 trucks per day that is brought outside  the city to a village where it is dumped. This means that Bangalore alone is killing a village per year. The commercial value of the garbage produced is a quarter million per day that means 10 dollars per rag-pickers, that would be a revolution for them increasing their earnings by 10 times,” informs Prashant.

      The organization looks at waste from a new perspective, one beneficial to the people  working in waste management. “Waste is a resource, ragpickers are micro producers and NGOs which are working in this sector are social enterprise. We help all the  players to improve their market place and scale their operations,” remarks Prashant. Their main activity is to train these social enterprises to sell ragpickers as a private waste management company, integrating everything into a platform that they created.

      Results till now have been impressive. I got garbage collaborates with 21 NGOs which are managing 7000 rag pickers. They are dividing waste into six different categories and the entire system  is supported by our back office IT capability. Their plan for the future is to expand in other cities adapting the same models. Negotiations have already started  with Pune, Hyderabad, Vellore, Vizag, Hubli, Dharwad, Mumbai, Kottayam and Pondicherry.

    • Kisan Mehta
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 11 6:32 AM
        Dear Comrades,

        We in 'Save Bombay Committee' and 'Prakruti' were happy to learn about Bangolore based the IT firm Mindtree and Prashant Mehra on their programme "I Got Garbage"

        What the Save Bombay Committee  and 'Prakruti' two registered public trusts talked  and tried hard to implement in the years 1994-1998 and  still now Priya Salvi is implementing in the in the ' Times of India' establishment in Kandivali, a Mumbai's suburb the programme Intergrated Solid Waste Managment P{rogrsmme that appears to be having rebirth in Bangalore by Mindtree IT Firm and its Prashant Mehra through "I Got Garbage".

        Read about "I Got Garbage' now coming up in Bangalore.  Very encouraging .  Wish the country takes up  the programme up all over.  India is  s estimated to generate one to five crores of domestic  waste largely organic.  That quantity is large to enough to  the change the fasce of this country and its people if we bring back so called waste into useable product for the people.   Thousands of billions of rupees can be created and India can be saved from the hazardous synthetic chemicals that is affecting public health of people.  Billions of dollars now spent on chemicals can be used for improving the physical and environmental conditions in the country and for all living beings.

        Mumbai generates around 10000 tons of municipal domestic waste a daa day! ALL that potentially valuable  is dumped everywhere  goes to increase pollution in Mumbai and in neighbouring regions.  If this waste, mainly organic is treated and brought back  to se as soil conditioner nobody can  imagine as to how this can change the face of dirty Mumbai.   Save Bombay Committee  presented a comprehensive  "Integrated Solid Waste Management Programme" (ISWMP) assuring "zero garbage" in Mumbai spread over 434 sq km area in the year 1994 provided the ISWMP was implemented.  Municipal Corprotation of Greater Bombay undertook to implement the SBC's ISWMP  however did not implement faithfully so Mumbai continues to be on of distiest cities of the world with over 3 croes of Indians staying and suffering from his gasrbage generated by its residents.Mumbai citizens suffer from all types of ill health because  of  the waste lying everywhere.

        We wish the project " I Got Garbage" a grand sucess in his efforts in Bangalore. The integral programme ISWMP developed by the complete and comprehnensive readily implementable and repricable by citizen with teir effort and their level provided the people decide to adopt and implement.    Kisan Mehta Cell: 9223448857 PPriya Salvi 99324027494.

        Best wishes.

        Kisan Mehta
        ------------------
        Save Bombay Committee,Prakruti and Life Foundation
        1203,Kanchanjanga  "A", Plot 20, Sector 11, Koparkhairane,
        Navi Mumbai 400709 Maharashtra India
        WWW.savebombaycommittee.org
        Kisan Mehta:9223448857

        Fwd: Waste management and Mindtree

        Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:41 am (PST) . Posted by:

        "Ronak Sutaria" ronak_sutaria

        http://social.yourstory.com/2013/12/services-company-mindtree-wants-revolutionise-waste-management-got-garbage/

        Alessio Pieroni <http://social.yourstory.com/author/alessio-pieroni/> | On