Re: monsoon moments

  • karmayog - tanya
    Message 1 of 324 , Jul 10, 2013
      http://xklsv.me/viewblog.php?id=1324

      Monsoon's musings

      My all-time favourite cartoon of R.K. Laxman is
      the one in which the little man with the bewildered
      look watches his wife as she greets the
      dhobhi with an aarti complete with a lighted diya in one
      hand and a bell in the other. The rain is pelting down
      outside and in the midst of this downpour, the dhobi has
      arrived with a bundle full of ironed clothes on his head.
      His baffled look says it all. It also sums up, as no words
      can, what monsoon means to us in India.

      We are a nation that takes our rains very seriously, and
      any delay on the part of the weather gods has us gazing
      anxiously at the skies; the meteorologists make dire
      predictions and the falling level of reservoirs and dams
      is a subject for much debate and discussion. When the
      monsoon clouds burst over Kerala by the 1st of June,
      there is relief and triumph even in far away Rajasthan -
      everyone's turn will come by and by, the smiling faces
      seem to say.

      In Delhi, the hot, humid months before the rains arrive
      is the time when the Jamuns (also known as Java
      Plums or Nerale Hannu in Kannada) ripen on the trees
      that line the gracious boulevards designed by Edwin Lutyens.
      Just as Washington DC has its cherry trees, New
      Delhi has its Jamun trees. The load of fruit is harvested
      by the fruit sellers, but a huge amount still falls onto the
      pavements and crunches underfoot, staining everything
      purple.

      Some years ago, I was in Manipal to see about the
      college admissions for our elder son. The month was
      June and the monsoon was in full swing. Though we
      were confined to our hotel room, with little to do except
      gaze out of the window onto a rain-drenched landscape,
      it was far from boring. The hotel garden was a riot of
      flowers and overgrown grass, trees dripped musically
      and the shining green of the leaves exuded the very
      essence of life, renewal and earth. My most enduring
      memory of those few days is a somewhat absurd one
      but so typical of an Indian monsoon.

      Beyond the low compound wall of the hotel was an
      open field, a pasture for cattle. Now it had become a
      lake of rain water and to my delight I saw ducks paddling
      around. Late one evening just before twilight, the rain
      had momentarily slowed to a fine drizzle. I saw a small
      herd of buffaloes make their stately way across the field,
      and straight into the deepest part of the lake. With tremendous
      grunts and tail swishing they sank themselves
      up to their noses and wallowed. The utter simplicity of
      their enjoyment made me laugh. Who would not love
      God's creatures in their innocence?

      Of course the monsoons can be inconvenient, disrupt
      life and create no-win situations like mosquitoes, and
      damp clothes; but it is also for us a time to enjoy steaming
      cups of masala chai and sizzling pakoras, a time for
      psychedelic or somber black umbrellas bobbing along
      on the streets. When we were kids one of the pleasures
      of going to school in rain was that you could wear
      your rubber chappals and the teachers didn't mind. A
      squelchy squishy pleasure not to be missed!

      The monsoons have been celebrated in music, dance,
      painting and film: it's a time for joyous lovers to meet;
      indeed, the darling of the Gopis, Lord Krishna, is said
      to have been born in the season when the Jamuna river
      was in spate. Many a Bollywood heroine has danced in
      the rains with her hero, to wonderful lilting music. Ragas
      like Megh Malhar and Mian ki Malhar are monsoon ragas,
      welcoming the rains on the parched earth.

      John Keats wrote in his immortal 'Ode To Autumn' of
      the "Season of mist and mellow fruitfulness", capturing
      in his poem of 33 lines the very essence of an English
      autumn. To me, the poetry is in the monsoon itself - the
      rhythms of the rain, the song of muddy waters flowing
      under a culvert somewhere, the koyal that fills overcast
      mornings with its sweet coos.

      Let me share with you a few lines from a beautiful poem 'A Rainy Day' by
      Rabindranath
      Tagore, describing a rainy day in Bengal. Who can say it better?

      .the rain-water is
      running in rills through the narrow lanes like a laughing
      boy who
      has run away from his mother to tease her..
      .The sky seems to ride fast upon the madly rushing
      rain; the
      water in the river is loud and impatient; women have
      hastened home
      early from the Ganges with their filled pitchers..
      .The road to the market is desolate, the lane to the
      river is
      slippery. The wind is roaring and struggling among
      the bamboo
      branches like a wild beast tangled in a net.

      June 17th 2013
      Message 324 of 324 , Jun 24, 2015
        Achyut Palav <urja.calligraphy@...> wrote:

        Monsoon Special Umbrella Workshop

        Paint with Colours beyond the Rainbow

        Unique Calligraphy Workshop by Achyut Palav at Belapur on the 5th July 2015.

        Rains… They enchant, they surprise, They delight. They have the power to charm & scare you. It can drizzle; it can pour… it can drench you with a shower or stir up a storm. Just one element of nature, yet so many forms.

        So this monsoon, try to capture its numerous Avatars or take a trip down memory lane to remember all those poems, sonnets & things that remind you of rains. Achyut Palav School of Calligraphy conducts its Annual Umbrella Workshop where you can make art come alive & capture the magic of rains on Umbrellas.

        This workshop promises to be an exciting event where you can do calligraphy of words, poems & nature’s ravishing beauty during the monsoons. Come enjoy the blessed union of calligraphic strokes &colors that is going to take place on 5th July 2015.

        Take home rains… Take Home Art

        Enquiry Timing: 10.00 am to 6.00 pm.

        Venue: - G-203, Deck level, CBD Belapur Station Complex,

                        CBD Belapur, Navi Mumbai – 400 614.

        Contact:  Ankita : 022 27891517

        For more details visit: www.achyutpalav.com    www.apsc.net.in

        Note: APSC will provide one umbrella per student including colors, breakfast and lunch.

        Register your name before 30th June 2015… Limited Seats!!!

        --

        Achyut Palav

        Achyut Palav School of Calligraphy
        28/1, Welfare Chambers, Plot No. 73,