Re: What is striking in India is the indifference of the privilegedÂ’

  • iyer_ga
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2013
      I notice in this discussion that everyone has forgotten about the role of the so called Rulers, be it the kings, democratic government or dictatorship or what not!
      Though the present state of affairs have evolved over time out of the so called civilization of human the animal instinct and selfishness in them (us) are the main cause for the situation as I can conceive! Forbes magazines and credit rating agencies can easily find out who is the richest man on earth but has any agency ever attempted to spot the poorest on earth so far- the exercise will just be a mirage as the poorest keeps dying even without giving room for researchers to identify them as to how one should grade them!!
      Giving subsidized food grains to the poor is tom tomed as a great gesture of good administration but if there are millions of poor who do not have income enough to buy even at subsidized rates those whose voice are ignored intentionally or not heard how can such human sustain just by breathing air over which the privileged or rulers could not impose any restriction of use though the privileged and the rulers do pollute air wantonly!
      Just like the Air (oxygen) we breath which no one could own but freely used in equitable proportion by richest and the poorest other natural resources for minimum sustenance is available or should be made available to all without let or hindrance and that is the prime responsibility of what is called government/governance and if a government is not able to do so despite resources being available/made available then they do not deserve to fit in to the system of their existence. This is all the more important and necessary when we claim to be civilized! Why there is no shortage/fight for air so far and every one enjoying the same (unless, again, the privileged use chemical weapons and so on)! What will happen if privileged deprives underprivileged- give quotas/ subsidies for air? If no one feels like hoarding air why they should hoard other resources out of greed or as future reserve or for other selfish motives?
      These debates in its substance can only converge to the fact that natural resources belong to every living being and the government in a civilized (said to be) society should voluntarily without pushing its living beings to the point of no return, necessitating protests and destructive acts govern to ensure its availability to all and after stepping on to that level could consider the status of human what position he should occupy! In reality these privileged people are poorer much against the creator's desire!!!