An Incredible Superfood: The Many Benefits of Coconut Oil

  • MD Kini
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2013
      **
      An Incredible Superfood: The Many Benefits of Coconut Oil

      By Elizabeth Renter

      If you haven’t noticed lately, the western world is on a bit of a coconut
      oil kick. It’s in all the popular blogs—from nutrition to hair care—and
      it’s no longer difficult to find a few different varieties of the oil in
      normal grocery stores. This is a good thing. Coconut oil should have never
      been demonized, as it was, and deserves a top spot in the natural health
      world.
      *Vilified Coconut Oil*

      Several decades ago, coconut oil was vilified. It was made to look like the
      “bad guy” in comparison with its competitors from the corn and soy
      industries. They were successful in their campaign to squash the coconut
      oil competition by highlighting it’s saturated fat content and tying that
      to heart disease. Now, however, coconut oil and its medium chain
      triglycerides (saturated fats) are back on top and being recognized for
      numerous health benefits.

      The health benefits of coconut
      oil<http://naturalsociety.com/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil/> are
      amazing; the oil possesses antimicrobial, antifungal, anti-bacterial, and
      antioxidant properties. The lauric, capric and caprylic acids within the
      oil are credited with many of these benefits. It’s the lauric acid, for
      instance, that is converted into monolaurin which in in turn fights the
      bugs associated with herpes, giardia, listeria, influenza, and even HIV.

      Coconut oil benefits truly are many, and it doesn’t take much. Just a
      tablespoon or so a day could make significant differences in your
      health. Coconut
      oil for Alzheimer’s<http://naturalsociety.com/coconut-oil-and-alzheimers-reversing/>
      and
      dementia has been proven especially
      beneficial<http://www.anh-usa.org/coconut-oil-and-alzheimer%E2%80%99s-disease/>
      .

      *Coconut Oil Benefits – Topical Applications*

      Topically, coconut oil can be used on the skin and hair. For your skin,
      it’s great for soothing dryness and even irritation from rashes. It is also
      good for *fighting wrinkles and signs of aging*. Common skin disorders like
      psoriasis and eczema can be taken care of, along with simple chores like
      removing eye makeup without the use of chemicals.

      Used on your hair, coconut oil can increase shine and reduce static
      electricity. It can also be used as a scalp massage to eliminate flaking
      and itchy dry scalp.
      *Taken Internally*

      Most people use coconut internally. And it’s here we see the majority of
      its benefits. Potential internal benefits of coconut oil include:

      - Anti-cancer
      - Alzheimer’s treatment
      - Dental health<http://www.ait.ie/aboutaitandathlone/newsevents/pressreleases/2012pressreleases/title-16107-en.html>
      including
      cavity prevention and reversal
      - Diabetes management
      - Weight loss aid
      - Improved digestion
      - Increased immune function
      - Heart disease *prevention*
      - And more…

      Best of all, coconut oil is easy to add to your daily regimen. Use it in
      sautéing vegetables, raw in smoothies and juices, and in your baking and
      cooking. It’s flavor goes well with sweeter dishes but can temper a spicy
      dish just as well.

      This article was published at NationofChange at:
      http://www.nationofchange.org/incredible-superfood-many-benefits-coconut-oil-1367849512.
      All rights are reserved.
    • iyer_ga
      Message 2 of 2 , May 7, 2013
        The case of coconut oil is more or less similar to iodized salt which has almost replaced sea water/ rock salt which we used til about3/4 decades! The author have stressed the point that iodized salt may be good to prevent the scarce goiter at the cost of higher and higher blood pressure and other ailments caused by iodized salt which is bereft of many other minerals which are present in sea salt! The survey and research associated with new inventions of food products and medicines are more business and profit oriented and also to provide possibly jobs than for preventing ailment or the goddnes of it.
        The fear and frustration created by medical fraternity and the urge exhibited to prescribe a new medicine for immediate symptomatic relief from ailment and thus promote the business ( patients, who can afford, generally believe that the costlier the medicine the better its effect) of pharmas are so irrestible and the human kind is here to test their effectiveness without considering the side effects caused which in turn promote further job and business for doctors, pharmas, researchers and inventors!

        One of my aunt died at the age of 110, lived throughout using coconust oil generously for all cooking purpose and also applying to body and head, so also all members of the family. They all lived and some are living fairly long! Are there some people cholestro (fat) resistant! In fact all deaths prior to the findings of "latest medicines" related to heart ailments were also caused by progressively narrowing blood vessels due to aging and we used to say so and so is in his bed breathing his last! Medicines certainly have advanced enough to give a lease of life to such patients may be for a few days/weeks/months or years to those who can afford! Those who cannot afford are told cleverly by the same doctors to take the patient home as paying hospital charges is a waste instead of telling that you cant afford or it is a hopeless case.

        My taste buds yearn for coconut oil but my doctor and dietician warned me against it! This is enough to curtail an happy life particularly when one is senior citizen! We are in between the devil and the sea!