PATH - Pedestrian And Traffic Help - Enforce silence zone and add countdown timers for traffic signals
- A new Traffic form has been filled and is available at
Submitted on: Tue, 2013-04-16 19:05
Contents of the suggestion:
Summary of suggestion - Enforce silence zone and add countdown timers for
Name of the road - Linking Road Santacruz West
Locality - Santacruz West
Category - No honking / Silence Zone signs needed
What troubles you regarding traffic or pedestrian safety at that location?
There are several issues with this junction that need to be fixed for benefit
of traffic and pedestrians
1) Even though this junction is next to a school and has been marked a
silence zone, honking continues unabated throughout the day and night. This
is mostly because of vehicles turning right from the main road blocking
vehicular traffic going straight
2) There is always some road repair work going on and as a result both
pedestrian and vehicular traffic is affected because of poor footpaths and
3) Auto Rickshaws and school buses park in the by-lanes and on the main road
over night and the drivers cause immense nuisance to the residents of the
area and also affect the flow of traffic from the main junction into the
narrow by-lanes. The rickshaw drivers employ one person to clean their
rickshaws and this person keeps opening the storm water drains to get water
for his cleaning routines. Since the footpaths dont have storm water drains
this forces the pedestrians to walk on the street.
4) Pedestrian traffic signal is for a extremely limited time duration and all
traffic signals have the same time duration throughout the day and night.
What do you recommend be done as a solution?
Three step solution
1) Work with BMC and keep roads at this junction free from potholes and in
good condition, additionally keep them free of school buses and auto
rickshaws. Fine drivers urinating on the street and stop all illegal food
stalls and ensure the gutter covers are always closed.
2) Enforce the silence zone and put up adequate signage to that affect. A
sound pollution study ought to be conducted as well and fines imposed on
3) All traffic lights, including pedestrian should have a count down timer
installed to promote patience and understanding for motorists and pedestrians