PIL on illegal Advertisements on Sex-power, obesity, Tantra etc

  • Amitabh Thakur
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2013

      PIL on illegal Advertisements on Sex-power, obesity, Tantra etc

      Parliament passed the Drugs and magic Remedies (Objectionable Advertisement) Act 1954 to save innocent people from fraudulent medical treatments.  Even sixty years later, provisions of this Act are being violated openly. The violation is more rampant in Hindi and other regional languag newspapers/TV Channels vis-a-vis English clearly showing that they are targeted towards semi-literate weaker sections of the society. In an endeavour to control such illegal acts, I along with wife Nutan have filed a PIL in the Allahabad High Court, Lucknow Bench. It shall be heard tomorrow (10 April) by the Bench of Justice Uma Nath Singh and Justice Dr Satish Chandra.

      As per section 3 of this Act, no advertisement about increasing sexual pleasure, women menstrual disorder, women conception etc will be published. Similarly, no advertisement regarding 54 diseases including Diabetes, Blindness, deafness, insanity, leucoderma, obesity etc can be published. As per section 5, all kinds of magic remedies like talisman, kavach, tantra etc is completely prohibited. Section 7 makes their violation a cognizable offence.

      Hence we have prayed in their Petition that the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Registrar of Newspapers for India (RNI) and Directorate of Advertising and Visual Publication (DAVP) be directed to insure that no such illegal advertisement get published in any newspaper or TV and if it happens then all administrative and legal measures like cancellation  of licence and registration, stopping government advertisement, registering FIR etc are taken.

      Hope my friends agree with the content and context of this PIL.

      Amitabh Thakur
      Lucknow
      # 094155-34526