Support the JM Foundation for Excellence in Journalism

  • karmayog - tanya
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3 1:40 AM
      http://journalism.org.in/
      JM Foundation for Excellence in Journalism
      We are a not-for-profit institution incorporated under the Indian Companies
      Act, 1956. Our mandate is to use research, teaching and archiving to promote
      excellence in journalism in India, both substantive and methodological.

      As a non-partisan institution, we are guided by three values that are at the
      core of journalistic practice - fairness, accuracy in reportage, and respect
      for the conscience of individual journalists. We are committed to free
      speech and an unfettered press. In the Indian context, we are dedicated to
      the promoting of excellence in journalism practised in all Indian languages
      without the use of etymologically derogatory or self-congratulatory
      nomenclature like the vernacular press, national press, or the language
      press.

      http://journalism.org.in/support/

      Any support to the foundation is a support for excellence in journalism,
      which is a sine qua non for democracy. As a fledgling institution we need
      the support of those who believe in our mission. Do remember that the amount
      of your support is not as important as the fact that you decide to support
      us. Outlined below are our needs as we start the process of building this
      foundation into a centre of excellence for journalism. Donations to the
      Foundation are exempt under Section 80G of the Income Tax Act.

      VOLUNTEER
      If you would like to help us with your time and expertise, please get in
      touch with us using the form in the Contact page. We would really appreciate
      your helping hand.

      DONATE A BRICK
      All the activities of this Foundation require brick and mortar structures.
      For both the Campus Fund and the City Centre Fund, we request you to donate
      a brick.
      A brick costs Rs. 5000/- and all those who donate a brick will have their
      names and/or the person in whose memory or the cause engraved on a wall in
      the Foundation building.

      LIBRARY FUND
      We have a small library that we would like to augment with both digital and
      paper acquisitions. You can also donate your books or other material,
      including collections of old newspapers, magazines and other media material,
      for the library

      SUPPORT PROGRAMMES
      Our programmes include Citizen Journalism, High School Journalism, Archiving
      and Research. In the case of Citizen Journalism and High School Journalism,
      we need funds to spread them across the country including building robust
      technology platforms across using which they can be delivered and we also
      need funds to develop curriculum in different Indian languages. For
      archiving and research, we need funds both for archiving and for conducting
      research.

      SUPPORT EVENTS
      We conduct activities such as seminars, workshops and talks, which all
      require funds. We would appreciate any funds that you would like to donate
      towards these or any other activities.

      SCHOLARSHIPS
      Since we provide tuition remissions and deferrals to students wanting to
      pursue their studies in the Journalism Mentor programme, we are always
      looking for funds. We are very keen on instituting scholarships especially
      directed at those segments of the populations that are deprived. While fully
      supporting a student for one year is Rs. 2 lakhs, we would be happy for any
      small contribution that goes towards student support.

      CITY CENTRE FUND
      We need a 1500-2000 square feet office in Mumbai that will serve as a City
      Centre. We would like this to be in Mumbai because the Foundation is
      registered in Mumbai and since the city has a long tradition of news media
      as the home to the oldest newspaper in Asia, as a centre of business,
      entertainment and sports journalism, and also a long tradition of
      independent press. The City Centre will house a conference room, offices and
      a library. We are looking for donors to contribute to the City Centre Fund.
      We are also open to anyone who wants to donate their premises for such a
      centre. Estimated amount: Rs 3 crores.

      CAMPUS FUND
      The Foundation needs a permanent home and we are scouting for land and/or
      land with some construction that may be converted to house the foundation.
      Ideally, we need a couple of acres for the building, which will include
      offices, classes, seminar rooms, media labs, library, auditorium, and some
      housing facilities for visitors. Even as we look for the land we have set up
      a Campus Fund to collect a corpus for this purpose. We are also open to any
      family that wants to donate their ancestral property for this purpose. We
      have not honed in on any city for the same, and hence proposals for this
      would be welcome from any part of the country. Estimated amount: Rs. 5
      crores.