Farhan Akhtar : What is this country that I live in?

  • karmayog - tanya
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2013

      Farhan Akhtar

      Posted Wednesday 19th December 2012

      What is this country that I live in?
      With no equality
      And the quality of life
      Differs from husband to wife
      Boy to girl, brother to sister
      Hey Mister, are you the same?
      Contributing to the national shame
      Replacing your mothers
      With the bent ideology of another's
      perception that women have a particular role in society
      Fills my heart with anxiety
      Where is all of this going?
      What will emerge from these seeds that we're sowing?
      It makes my head spin
      But I'm not giving in
      Will keep asking the question
      What is this country that I live in?

      What is this country that I live in?
      That takes away her right to love
      Brutalises her with an iron glove
      Rapes her without fear
      of there being justice for her tear
      We've demeaned our goddesses
      Gone back on all our promises
      Become a gender distorted nation
      Given our conscience a permanent vacation
      what do I tell my daughter?
      That she's growing up to be lamb for the slaughter
      we've got to make a change
      Reboot, reformat, rearrange,
      and never give in
      no matter how much our head may spin
      Just keep asking the question
      What is this country that I live in?

      Here to help. Love. Farhan.
    • karmayog
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2013

        On 04-Jan-2013, at 9:31 AM, SMP <smp@...> wrote:

        Its nice of mr akhtar to express emotion well. Film and entertainment industry shud also unite and stop depicting women in degraded form with improper cloths,double meaning dialouges,gyrating dance implying physical action and women falling on men with big muscls  as if women are slaves.

        Youths of india take actors and cricketers as idol and one can easily see the type of vulgur songs and dances depicted even during mehendi and wedding or events which are relfection of our culture to younger generation.

        I am sure that few leaders from movie and tv industry can change their approach which will atleast let youth feel important of the respect to women and ancient Indian culture

        Thanks