yr feedback needed on yahoo group message relevance quality

  • ravindrra panditrao junagade
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2005
      Dear Vinay,
      This newsletter when started was thought to be very useful serving to various NGO's. But now as I see it, it is loosing its sanctity and the very purpose and its objective is getting diluted. It is mainly because of lot of rubbish contents of it which makes it voluminous and the purposeful messages have to be searched out. Hence I suggest to please get it screened to eliminate messages like wanted accomodation/ jobs/house maids etc. I hope you will appreciate my suggestion.
      Thanking you,
      -- Ravindra Junagade.

      [Thanks. I understand your broad point. With 4300+ members in the yahoo groups with different needs, relevance does get diminished for each of us.

      a)Feedback from other members would be useful please.

      b)Does any NGO provide housemaids? If not, we will stop circulating those requests.

      c) Jobs needed - I think it is useful as it is quite difficult for NGOs to find people. We ourselves have vacancies for so many types of people.

      d) Job opportunities in NGOs - I think that is useful and appropriate.

      e)Accomodation - if it is needed by NGOs, I think it's ok.

      Thanks. Vinay]
    • mehta_foundation
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2005
        Vinay, in response to your query about the relevance and quality of the messages:

        Yes, there are quite a few messages that come through that are not so relevant for my work. However, it is great to have this continous conversation giving a wonderful insight into the environment for nongoverment organizations (NGO's). It makes visible the hard work, the difficulties, and the energy everyone is applying to a whole host of issues to which they are dedicated. This forum is the only one like it in the world and continues to generate discussions every day.

        We do have to wade through a lot of information but it is great to see so many people working together in different areas to help society. What may be very interesting and necessary for me may be of no use to other folks. It would be very difficult to filter a conversation here without disenfranchising others who are interested in the topic.

        To make it easier for folks like your friend Ravindra Junagade, it might be possible for there to be a keyword added to the subject field perhaps to indicate the class of information contained.

        For example, as you pointed out, if you look back over the almost 9,000 postings, you can see there is a significant traffic in "want to voluteer", "need volunteers", "want job", "have a position". Perhaps those could be paired or tagged so those looking for positions could find the information quicker. Or maybe use the website and run a matching service there.

        There are other categories of "annoucements" coming from NGO's reporting their progress. Again maybe there is a critical mass of these you can tag.

        From my perspective, as the volume of information increases it increases the amount of knownledge and insight that is being shared. It creates a great resource to have that insight. Just like in farming, you don't get wheat without chaff, you can't saw a log without making sawdust. You don't generate information without getting some bad data from time to time.

        In any case, thanks for all your efforts running this operation. Your work is truely appreciated.

        Bernie