Do we encourage only a set of people in this country, asks SC

  • Sheetal - Karmayog
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2012
      Do we encourage only a set of people, asks SC

      New Delhi: The palatial houses built by Hiranandani Developers in Powai in violation of the agreement with the state government had prompted the Bombay high court to pass an order on February 22, directing the developer to stop all construction activity on the remaining plots under the Powai Area Development Scheme (PADS) and specify the vacancy position before the court. The HC order came in the wake of a public interest litigation filed by a group of social activists led by Medha Patkar, and two local residents.

          The high court had directed the Hiranandanis to construct around 3,100 affordable houses�1,593 flats of around 861 sq ft (80 sq m) and 1,511 flats of 430 sq ft (40 sq m). Around 450 apartments from this lot, the court said, have to be offered to the state at a rate of Rs 135 per sq ft, which the government can then sell to its employees. Once these instructions have been complied with, the court said, the developer would have to take its permission and only then can it can embark on making further construction on the remaining land. The could had also allowed the petitioners to file criminal cases against the builder and �errant� government officers.

          The Supreme Court bench on Friday asked senior advocates Mukul Rohatgi and Gopal Subramanaim, �As it is, middle class people in Mumbai are residing on roads. Can they afford even a square inch of land?�

          When Rohatgi attempted to justify the developer�s action by referring to the buildings and hospital built by them as part of PADS, the bench said, �The quality of houses is bound to be the best as it is for those people who can afford Bentleys and Ferraris. What we see is palaces-�Can you show us if you have built even a single house of 40 or 80 square metre?�

          MMRDA counsel Shekhar Naphade informed the bench that �there has been rampant collusion between the officials of MMRDA and the developer in how the agreement was breached.�

          Though the court permitted the Hiranandanis to withdraw their appeal and pursue options before the Bombay high court, the court did not mince words and said, �It is all an eyewash. What are we doing in this country�. Do we encourage only a set of people in this country. Do other persons not have a right too?�

          It said, �This sort of collusion between the developer and officials of state is contrary to the specific understanding on which the lands were acquired. HC has said what you are expected to do, saying out of 230 acres earmark 92 acres for downtrodden.�

      HOUSE THAT VIOLATIONS BY HIRANANDANI DEVELOPERS, AS ALLEGED BY THE PETITIONERS IN HC
      Few Affordable Houses Built

      * Hiranandani was to construct 50% of flats of 431 sq ft and the rest of 861 sq ft
      * Flats were allowed to be merged to 4,000-5,000 sq ft and sold for up to Rs 7 crore

      Government Deprived Of Share
      *
      State was to get 15% of the FSI consumed in the form of flats. This would have meant around 1,800 flats spread over 10 lakh sq ft. State was not given its share

      Infrastructure Promises
      *
      Within 10 years, builder was supposed to leave open spaces for schools, parks, service industry and a hospital, which had to be handed over to the BMC. This was not fully complied with

      Commercial Interests
      *
      Hiranandani constructed commercial spaces such as offices that were not mentioned in the original agreements

    • j_nc2000
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2012
        Dear sir
        It is truly said by the court.We encourage only a set of people in this country. It is applicable in all walks of life including politics,industry,govt promotion etc.The other people donot have a right to progress. Let us hope, some one will break this and make indians free
        Dr N C Jain
        3-4-12