Rainwater Harvesting Resource Section

  • karmayog.org - Pratibha
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2010
      Hi,

      We are in process of updating our Rainwater Harvesting resource section.

      Everyone in the city can have enough water even during summer if citizens take to harvesting water. Mumbai receives an annual rainfall of 2,000 mm. Given that Mumbai's geographical area is 437.77 sq km, the annual rainfall generates about 8,78,000 million litres of water, which suffices to supply about 2,400 million litres a day. Theoretically, all this amount of water can be harvested. But why is it that Mumbaikars have yet to warm up to water harvesting? Why is that we still crib over water shortage in our city.

      These are the few questions which we would like to know. Please help us in making this a comprehensive resource section. Please directly upload or email us relevant content. This can include articles, photographs, research papers, links to websites, etc.

      Also, please volunteer as an expert panelist to whom we can direct queries from our website visitors.

      Thanks & Regards,

      Pratibha Sharma
      Karmayog
      Desk: +91-22-22013535

    • karmayog.org - sheetal
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2010
        Now, your bath water can help city combat crisis.........Linah Baliga

        Mumbai: The city is facing its worst ever water crisis, and its citizens like Dr Ajit Gokhale who are braving it head-on. While many have adopted traditional methods of conserving water, Gokhale has a unique idea to save water. He is recycling bath waste water in housing societies and giving it a second life. Gokhale has already set up recycle plant at the Kanti Apartments housing society in Bandra and at a bungalow in Khar (West).

        Gokhale has realised that most housing society members are receptive to the idea of treating bath wastewater over any other wastewater. “Bath water is the cleanest wastewater available in any housing society. There are other types of wastewater like kitchen and toilet wastewater. Toilet wastewater is bad and the kitchen wastewater when collected for treatment starts stinking,” Gokhale said.

        Explaining the process of recycling bath wastewater, Gokhale said that the wastewater is brought to a suitable site where a tank or a pit of suitable dimension is made. The dimensions depend on the site conditions and volume of the wastewater. The tank or pit is lined by soiling and LDP lining. The tank is filled with a coarse mixture of high porosity, efficient sewage treating bacteria and supporting media.

        Specially selected plants are then planted with their roots forming an association with the bacteria to give an effective sewage treatment. This system remains functional for many years with almost zero maintenance.

        “We collect bath water and treat it through advanced reed bed system. The area required for advanced reed bed is 3 square metres for 1,000 litres of wastewater to be treated per day. So for five flats, an area of 6 square metres is required,” Gokhale said.

        “However, if there are more number of families and the area is less then we do the recycling through physico-chemical treatment. Physico-chemical treatment requires 1 square metre per 10 families.”

        Gokhale also has bath water recycle plants set up at Symbiosis in Pune and at various hotels in Guhaghar, 350km away from Mumbai.

      • Gopalkrishnan iyer
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2010

          Thanks for the figures for the posssible saving of rain water by rain harvesting!

          Going by your figures of 2400 million liters for mumbai and assuming population of mumbai as 20 million, each individual's share is 120 million liters a day!! Common man's average requirements, liberally taken, is not more than 200 liters per day per person! This amounts to say that each of us is wasting 120 million liters every day and what effort is required is only to save this 200 liters  out of 120 million!

          Surplus water should be carried to distant and barron areas by cannals criss crossing away from mumbai and if need be by pumping at stages and collected at distant locations as a stand by!

          Amount of water wasted during monsoon from areas where it rains plenty, if can be collected ( yes, it should be possible), all our rain starved land could be converted
          into cultivable land and we should consider this project s with utmost of priority !

          I have given my comment/s on earlier occassions also in this site, one of which  is appended below !

          From: Gopalkrishnan iyer <iyer_ga@...>
          Subject: Needed: to solve water crisis in Mumbai
          To: karmayog@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Tuesday, 19 January, 2010, 3:46 PM

          The way water is depleting year after year water will become scarcer and scarcer, contaminated and more contaminated in years to come, needless to mention that demand would only be increasing ! Saving water is a must a and at the same time avoiding waste and learning to do so is of vital imprtance.

          As far as Mumbai is concerned we are getting water  as far away as 180km (Vaitarna) and other places at considerable efforts and expenses. To my lay mans assessment the rain water flowing out during monsoon and wasted every year in the city of Mumbai is several times larger than what these lakes deliver to Mumbai over a year !

          As a long term project we should make all out efforts to harvest rain water over large areas
          and make canals cris crossing to carry them (even by pumping back and storing away from
          city) to distant collection centers (in the midsts of hills) as a stand by( of course the study would mainly involve the earths equilibrium under such situations) Such  projects should cover the whole country and then connecting up rivers should be thought about. Any short term plans/ short cuts would seldom serve the purpose.

          When Mumbaites get 1000 liters of water(BMC) for Rs 7/- such projects can increase the cost to double, at the most !   FOOD FOR THOUGHT?

          Iyer GA

        • vijaya_s17@rediffmail.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2010
             Subject:GRAY WATER RECYCLING
             Main Point:CONSERVE POTABLE WATER
             Category of Topic:Corporate Social Responsibility
             Message:

            GRAY WATER (Bathroom water) recycling project

            General

            Water recycling is a good option for all building in Mumbai in order to preserve potable water resources. It is our social responsibility to conserve the precious potable water and show our love to our beloved Mumbai. In this process the bath water is collected in a basement tank- filtered with a strainer- disinfected /deodored and pumped to overhead tanks for the use of toilet flush.

            Usually people take bath twice a day and keeping 3 buckets of water used each time one uses 60 litters of water a day for bathing. The washing machine is operated once in a day,

            In a house having 5members, and consume approximately 60 litters of water. Usually one goes for nature call 6 times and each time when he uses flush 48 litters of water consumed in a day. Maximum water is consumed while bathing and we can recycle this water for flush purpose to save 40% of our daily consumption. Recycling only this wash water is easy and it solve our purpose. Generally the toilet flush/kitchen drain pipes are separated from that of other drain pipes and it makes our job of collecting bathroom water easy.

            Nowadays builders install STP (sewage treatment plant) plant in up coming project in order to recycle this water for flush purpose. This system is not working as toilet water and kitchen water also collected for treatment purpose. People complain of bad odor whereas I suggest collecting only bathroom water which is easy to treat and it solve the purpose.

            I live in Hiranandani Garden -Powai-Mumbai. The builder promoter is having a centralized waste water treatment plant wherein the whole complex waste water including toilet water is treated and used for gardening and building construction purpose. Now I am thinking of collecting the water used for bathing, wash basin and cloth washing and reuse it for the toilet flush. By this we can cut down, conserve our potable water consumption by 40%.

            I ready volunteer my service to any society to demonstrate my idea and implement this system.

            Thanks

            SGSR

            E-MAIL vijaya_s17@...

            Phone - 022 66910275

             Name:S.G.S.RSUBRAMANIAN
             Organisation:INDIVIDUAL
             Location:POWAI-MUMBAI
             Email 1:vijaya_s17@...
             Information about yourself:GRAY WATER (Bathroom water) recycling projectGeneral Water recycling is a good option for all building in Mumbai in order to preserve potable water resources. It is our social responsibility to conserve the precious potable water and show our love to our beloved Mumbai. In this process the bath water is collected in a basement tank- filtered with a strainer- disinfected /deodored and pumped to overhead tanks for the use of toilet flush.Usually people take bath twice a day and keeping 3 buckets of water used each time one uses 60 litters of water a day for bathing. The washing machine is operated once in a day, In a house having 5members, and consume approximately 60 litters of water. Usually one goes for nature call 6 times and each time when he uses flush 48 litters of water consumed in a day. Maximum water is consumed while bathing and we can recycle this water for flush purpose to save 40% of our daily consumption. Recycling only this wash water is easy and it solve our purpose. Generally the toilet flush/kitchen drain pipes are separated from that of other drain pipes and it makes our job of collecting bathroom water easy.Nowadays builders install STP (sewage treatment plant) plant in up coming project in order to recycle this water for flush purpose. This system is not working as toilet water and kitchen water also collected for treatment purpose. People complain of bad odor whereas I suggest collecting only bathroom water which is easy to treat and it solve the purpose.I live in Hiranandani Garden -Powai-Mumbai. The builder promoter is having a centralized waste water treatment plant wherein the whole complex waste water including toilet water is treated and used for gardening and building construction purpose. Now I am thinking of collecting the water used for bathing, wash basin and cloth washing and reuse it for the toilet flush. By this we can cut down, conserve our potable water consumption by 40%.I ready volunteer my service to any society to demonstrate my idea and implement this system.Thanks SGSR E-MAIL vijaya_s17@... Phone - 022 66910275
            Click here to Reply