monsoon moments

    Message 1 of 311 , Jun 27, 2009
      Rimjhim Ghire Sawan from the movie MANZIL.

      Do share your Monsoon Moments
    • karmayog - tanya
      Message 311 of 311 , Sep 1, 2014
        http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/features/blink/article6197488.ece#im-image-0

        SLIDESHOW

        Grey matters

        Jul 11, 2014

        Kerala shares its most idyllic stories, its best-kept secrets, with the
        mazha kalam (rainy season)

        If a Malayali writes an autobiography, at least one chapter is sure to dwell
        on the monsoons. The stormy rains in June and July are part of the fabric of
        life in Kerala. One might begin their tale with the flash floods of '58,
        while another may talk of the rains turning the courtyard in an ancestral
        home glassy and grey.

        For me, it's the memory of the heat of many months that dissipates in a
        second when the first few drops timidly hit the ground. Growing up in the
        village of Madikai in Kasaragod district of Kerala, my annual school
        holidays were all about the scent of overripe paranki maanga (cashew
        apples), which I had to pick from the family orchards every day. Summer days
        were also about walking to the temple grounds in the neighbouring villages
        to watch theyyam, sitting idle under thatched sheds at noon, waiting for
        heavy, yellow mangoes to drop from the trees, and playing football for hours
        on end on the paddy fields, now barren after the harvest.

        But memories of summer evaporate as soon as the monsoon rages in, with the
        scent of the wet mud overpowering all other senses. With the days of my
        youth, the carefree summer vacations, long gone, it is the first rain that
        brings back a flood of memories from Madikai.

        Photo essay by Thulasi Kakkat