Re: Announcing the Karmayog CSR Ratings of 1000 Indian Companies, 2008

  • karmayog - tanya
    Message 1 of 44 , Jun 2, 2009
      How socially responsible are Indian corporates?

      Forty nine per cent companies were not doing any Corporate Social
      Responsibility (CSR) activities

      1,000 Indian companies have been rated for CSR by Karmayog, a group of
      Mumbai-based citizens, non-profits and corporate houses

      CSR activities undertaken by 51 per cent of the companies mainly included
      education, healthcare and rural development

      49 per cent received the lowest score of zero, none scored the highest level

      57 per cent of the 40 banking companies scored the highest. Software and
      paper industries also showed high levels of CSR activities

      Entertainment and media, retail, mining, trading and construction industries
      scored low

      63 per cent of the 57 construction companies did not have any CSR activity.
      Only two of them-DLF and GMR Infrastructure-scored level three

      The rating was based on two parameters--steps taken by the companies to
      reduce negative effects of their products and processes on the environment
      and the steps taken by them to use their resources and core competence to
      benefit society

      Down To Earth - May 16-31, 2009, Pg. 17
    • karmayog - tanya
      Message 44 of 44 , Jun 9, 2009
        The personal touch

        Along with building townships and complexes, developers are also actively pursuing programmes aimed at the betterment of society, says Neha Dani

            According to recent research conducted by a popular NGO platform Karmayog on corporate social responsibility (CSR), many corporate giants, which include construction companies, conduct social activities as their moral responsibility towards society. Certain proactive social initiatives taken by them can help build a better quality of life and a healthy ecosystem. Being the developers of newer properties, it gives them a decent scope to factor the social requirements of their immediate surroundings.

            Quite naturally this helps them to contribute to the society's welfare, which until now remained the responsibilities of the government agencies or at best, the NGOs.

            Real estate being one of the prime sectors with regards to consumption of labour, developers realize that care has to be taken for the betterment and upliftment of the workforce. They are coming up with various measures to contribute to the society by forming trusts, or organising camps or even in their unique way they are extending their hands towards the social good.

            Vivek Mohanani, Executive Director, Ekta World says, "Ekta World has adopted a ground at Borivali, where we conduct the civil works like levelling, breaking the rocks and storm water treatment among others. At our project Lake Homes, Powai, we regularly organise blood donation camps, health check-ups and spread awareness of healthy living among the work forces and the residents."

            Involving employees in the CSR work of the company is another of such initiatives being taken. Rustomjee has employees' CSR funds, given
        voluntarily, through which they help various social institutes. Percy Chowdhry, Director, Rustomjee says, "Rustomjee has started a school 'Rustomjee International' at Dahisar, wherein around 5000 students are given value education. At our sites, we have Mobile Crèches, where we provide basic education and one day's meal to the kids of our employees. Through our employees' CSR funds, we help old age homes, paraplegic institutes, spastic, mentally challenged people with various things."

         Health is yet another important sector where corporates are paying attention. Nirmal Lifestyle has come up with one hospital and medical centre in Mulund. Dharmesh Jain, CMD, Nirmal Lifestyle says, "We are maintaining one of the largest gardens in Mulund. We also have a student adoption programme, wherein we adopt students from the schools of Mulund and fund their education. Under a womens’ empowerment scheme, my wife gives vocational training to women, which helps in making them independent."

            Nahar Group too is involved in spreading education and conducting women-oriented programmes for their upliftment.

            Manju Yagnik, vice-chairperson, Nahar group says, "We have been doing various activities as part of our CSR initiative. For example, we run a few schools in Rajasthan and also quite a few cattle camps. We also conduct eye-camps and have also funded a few camps during the time of Mumbai floods. We have also sponsored events such as 'Salaam Beti', which was a movement against female infanticide. Our chairman, Mr. Sukhraj Nahar has also been awarded by the Times with the Mahavir and Mahatma award for the group’s contribution towards CSR.''

            Planning CSR activities linked with government plans is proving fruitful. Lodha Group's big initiative is partnering with Times Group in their social initiative called 'Sahabhagi'. Through this program, the Group extends support to citizens to be actively involved in the governance and problem solving of their area.

            Abhisheck Lodha, Director, Lodha Group says, "While supporting BMC schools by supplying free educational and material, we provide education and take-care centres at all our construction sites for the children of the construction labourers. We conduct various health and HIV awareness programmes for workers at the site. We have also actively participated in the beautification of various public places such as gardens and parks through extensive landscaping."

            With these initiatives it is heartening to see that various neglected issues are now being taken care of to benefit society. These corporate activities by developers are expected to enhance the sector, leading to the construction of a new future along with new homes and infrastructure.

        Quick BYTES
        Developers conduct a variety of activities as part of their corporate social responsibility initiatives
        These include blood donation camps, educational funding and vocational training