What is school for?

  • Chandni Parekh
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2009

      From Seth Godin

      Seems like a simple question, but given how much time and money we spend on it, it has a wide range of answers, many unexplored, some contradictory. I have a few thoughts about education, how we use it to market ourselves and compete, and I realized that without a common place to start, it's hard to figure out what to do.

      So, a starter list. The purpose of school is to:

      1. Become an informed citizen
      2. Be able to read for pleasure
      3. Be trained in the rudimentary skills necessary for employment
      4. Do well on standardized tests
      5. Homogenize society, at least a bit
      6. Pasteurize out the dangerous ideas
      7. Give kids something to do while parents work
      8. Teach future citizens how to conform
      9. Teach future consumers how to desire
      10.  Build a social fabric
      11. Create leaders who help us compete on a world stage
      12. Generate future scientists who will advance medicine and technology
      13. Learn for the sake of learning
      14. Help people become interesting and productive
      15. Defang the proletariat
      16. Establish a floor below which a typical person is unlikely to fall
      17. Find and celebrate prodigies, geniuses and the gifted
      18. Make sure kids learn to exercise, eat right and avoid common health problems
      19. Teach future citizens to obey authority
      20. Teach future employees to do the same
      21. Increase appreciation for art and culture
      22. Teach creativity and problem solving
      23. Minimize public spelling mistakes
      24. Increase emotional intelligence
      25. Decrease crime by teaching civics and ethics
      26. Increase understanding of a life well lived
      27. Make sure the sports teams have enough players