my learnings of volunteers

  • Karmayog.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2005

      > - volunteer - ngo connections - the ones that happened have been very
      > satisfying for both but we think many volunteers were not contacted by any
      > ngo.

      I thought I should comment here - I have contacted many volunteers and would
      now only do it occasionally - perhaps what I need is too difficult for them
      or not interesting but to me it has mainly been a waste of time because
      after I explain everything to them which takes at least 2 hours of my time
      there has been almost no reward. Almost all forget they have volunteered,
      and there is no response. It taught me a lot though - its much better to
      have paid workers than volunteers. Even for very short needs like twice a
      month 2 - 3 hours at our shop or helping with the jumble sale doesn't work
      out with volunteers.

      "Nandita Shah" <nandita_shah@...>

      [For those who do manage the volunteer process well, pl do share some
      wisdom. Thanks. Vinay]