An Evening in Chennai

  • Sailesh Mishra
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2007
      Last week of September I had gone to Chennai to attend International conference on Dementia and AD. It was three days conference and we had back-to-back lectures and workshops.

      On the first day all the participants were taken out for Evening entertainment and dinner. The place for this visit was Dakshina Chitra - 'picture of South India'.

      We reached little late at 7 pm, by the time we reached it was dark and we could see lights glowing from this beautiful place. It was little cool and we were welcomed with traditional Indian Red Tilak and music and dance. The food was authentic south Indian.

      The place is a living museum of the traditions of South India. Its one of the most beautiful place have visited in South India.

      It is located 22 km from the Chennai city limits on the East Coast (New Mahabalipuram) Road. It is accessible only by road. There are a host of coach/taxi services.

      Dakshina Chitra is a non-profit, community service project of the Madras Craft Foundation for the promotion and preservation of the cultures of the diverse people of India with emphasis on Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Adndhra Pradesh and Karnataka. It was driven by the initiative of Deborah Thiagarajan, an American art historian who has lived in India since 1970.

      Set on a ten-acre site in the village of Muttukadu overlooking the Bay of Bengal, Dakshin Chitra comprises four sections, which represent the distinct culture of the southern states. Heritage education at Dakshin Chitra is designed to provide a meaningful learning experience set in an aesthetic and sensitive ambience. Dakshin Chitra has put together workshops and other activities, which are of great interest to children.

      To Read more click  : http://peopleforsocialcause.blogspot.com/

      Warm Regards,
      Sailesh Mishra
      Advisor  - Society for Serving Seniors
      Life Member - ARDSI,Mumbai Chapter
      0091 9819819145
      Blog: http://peopleforsocialcause.blogspot.com/

      Forget yourself for others, and others will never forget you.