Re:What would make Karmayog more useful for you?

  • Belaku Trust
    Message 1 of 16 , May 31 6:30 AM
      It's a pity these two suggestions aren't possible.

      But having taken time to think about what would make Karmayog more useful, I wonder whether you could tell us why grouping by area of interest isn't possible? You are sort of doing it anyway with the responses about free medical care and other such issues.

      [Yahoo does not have this feature. Yahoo has a feature of linking all the messages which have the same subject line. We, ourselves, are not doing and can not do any grouping. Vinay]

      And what made me suggest edited responses and the problem in "skimming thru the entire message and understanding the gist" is simply lack of time. Some of the communications are so long and verbose that it takes quite a while to figure out whether it's relevant to our needs. As I recollect, there have been other requests for this too.

      [Yeah, but we too suffer from a lack of time as well as a lack of ability to convert into a gist. Vinay]

      Thanks anyway, we get much of value from this site.

      [Yeah, but it would be good if each member of the group thinks of how they can also give value to the site. We have 5 full-time people, 5 part-time people, 3 volunteers who contribute sporadically. So we are stretched. We look forward to people who will contribute on a paid or free basis, full-time or part-time. Vinay]

      4a.
      What would make Karmayog more useful for you?
      Posted by: "Belaku Trust" belakutrust@...
      Tue May 29, 2007 11:29 pm (PST)
      In terms of the format:
      I would like to see the messages in each mail grouped by broad area of interest.
      [Not possible. Vinay]

      Please edit responses to keep them manageably brief -- perhaps with a link for anyone who wants to read the entire message
      [Too much work. What is the problem in your skimming thru the entire message and understanding the gist? Vinay]
    • akalpitap
      Message 2 of 16 , May 31 6:27 PM
        Namaste Shri Garg ji

        This is with reference to your suggestion to develop one village as a
        role model.

        We have adopted a small village near Mumbai (about 10 Km from
        Panvel). In this connection, kindly let us know your views regarding
        how to go about.
        We have identified certain problems in the village. Water is a
        biggest issue. Since ladies spend lot of their time and energy in
        just fetching water for the family, they are exhausted to do any
        thing more constructive.
        Once the water problem is taken care of, some employment can be
        generated.
        Health care is another important area.
        Tribal welfare, schools for tribal children, day care centres are
        also required.

        I would appreciate your advice and participation.

        Akalpita

        [Do also contact Mr. J. M. Mehta -- Bridge Charitable Trust -- pl use the Search feature in www.karmayog.org to locate. Vinay]

        --- In karmayog@yahoogroups.com, "Om Nath Garg" <omnath@...> wrote:

        > Since I retd.as a class I officer, with 36 gazetted service, and
        all in
        > rural development deptt.
        > I commend your efforts, and I wound suggest that first of all we
        can start
        > with one tribal village in Mumbai and then make it role model, for
        other
        > villages, and expand it gradually, and later on other NGOs, and
        Govt. tribal
        > welfare and rural welfare development deptt. to adopt and follow it.
        >
        > I have always been a visionary, innovator, and very much worked for
        > improvement in systems,methods, organizations.
        >
        > My services are totally free and only for Mumbai initially,
        otherwise, in
        > specific case, I can work outside too, in few cases.
        >
        > Om Nath Garg
        > 10 Kailas, Peddar Road
        > Mumbai 400 026
        > Ph: 93229 26792
        > E-mail: omnath@...

        Tamilnadu
        > with very little to show for it.
        >
        > My be you can have a specific section for different states in the
        > website when there are enough interested people and NGO from a
        specific
        > state showing interest. I did go through the list of NGOS for
        > tamilnadu.
        >
        > raj
        > 9381031380
        >
        > [Thanks. We would be happy to start specific sections for different
        states
        > or even cities or even villages or even localities ------ provided
        someone
        > takes charge of it. Charge of it means a)sending / posting relevant
        info
        > periodically b) responding to the emails that we get pertaining to
        that.
        > Would you be interested for Chennai or Tiruvallur or both? Vinay]
      • akalpitap
        Message 3 of 16 , May 31 6:45 PM
          Dear All

          I will introduce you to a small village in waiting for such help.

          Shivansai is a picturesque village, just about 10 KM from Panvel on
          Panvel Matheran road. Located on the top of a hill, surrounded by
          water streams in the months of monsoon, it is lush green around,
          looking like an emerald. The setting is so beautiful; it attracts many
          tourists and weekenders during these months. It is very near to Mumbai
          and average rainfall is about 70 to 100 inches per year.

          Come March, and the whole scenario is changed. The rivers become thin
          or sometimes, water disappears completely. The wells dry up. Those are
          the fortunate people who have a lake or a dam nearby. There is a dam
          nearby, Deharanga Dam, popularly known as Gadheshwar dam, after lord
          Gadheshwar (Shiva) of the village. The water from this dam goes to
          quench the thirst of Panvel and New Panvel city, depriving the
          villages around of their basic right bestowed by nature. But, this is
          Bharat. And, no one complains. The greenery disappears, because those
          were only shrubs and grass grown in the monsoon. The scorching sun on
          the top and hot boulders of the mountain does not leave any glimpse of
          the just bygone months.

          Village women have to go a couple of kilometers on foot in such
          hostile heat of the day; to fetch at least drinking water if not more,
          pot by pot. It is a vicious circle. No water, so no production, hence
          not enough to live on, so, no strength either economic or physical to
          do labour and improve. The terrain being rocky, only one crop in
          monsoon is possible in a year. The lands remains barren all through
          the remaining part of the year in this area which can not even be
          declared as drought hit because in monsoon spells like that of July
          26, 2005, there is a flooding around.

          Can we do something to change the situation?

          Akalpita

        • V.Varadarajan
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 1, 2007
            [Also see and add to www.karmayog.org/ruraldevelopment/.
            We would be willing to get involved in the process outlined below purely to see how to improve the utility of karmayog. Vinay]

            Since I have been working in villagers in the last few years I am
            offering this blue print.

            How many people are in the village. Find out their present level of
            earnings and skill set.

            Identify a person who is educated and inclined to improve the village
            besides making money. Train her as knowledge centre and hub for
            informtion.A 10 th grade passed intelligent, married woman from a
            milkevendor or tea shop is an ideal candidate for an operator.

            Get broad band connectivity to the comptuer if available. Support
            this at about rs 3000 per month untile the demand from the village
            picks up to reduce the support. This may take a year.

            Once the infrastructure is in place to communicate to the world, we
            take a digital photo of each family together and offer them print for
            cost, if they want otherwise they can see this in the camera itself
            or in the village kiosk.

            At the same time we collect all data including education, health and
            agriculture as well as skill set they have for employment as well as
            entrepreneurship.

            You have already identified the dire need for water. If the villagers
            are willing to provide labour we can find money for a pond with a
            filetered drinking water well can be renovated or dug if there is no
            pond there. This may cost about rs 5 lakhs

            Dhan foundation has experience and I can find out if they will come
            to Mumbai.

            Next educate to get 100% literacy.

            Using the lap top an old one if you can get one donated is the best
            bet. The KO should start in her own house to educate adults using the
            TCS adult literacy software available for free.

            Promote this when you organise health camp using the volunteers who
            have offered this in this group.

            At that time show the benefits of ICT to the villagers. When the
            demand for the computers pick up start charging 5 rupees per month
            for them to use the computer in any way to provide
            Education, Tele health using the yahoo video chat with a doctor,
            lively hood by getting to get them registered for employment or to
            use the resources available in the village.
            If there is agricultural field help to get better yield at lower
            cost of loans and better price by eliminating middlemen.

            If we can show one village over all development comparable to the
            best in the country then we can start organic growth by demand in the
            next village and so on.

            The secret is identifying the need of the villagers and enpwering
            them to demand what is needed rather than offering what we think they
            need.

            The goals are 100% literacy in one year, doulble the average
            earnings of the village in 5 years. Reduce infant mortality rate to
            the world level and increase the nutrition level from prenatal level
            to ensure no undernourshed person is there in the village in 3 years.
            All people senior citizens as well as handicapped are taken care of
            by the community.

            raj
            9381031380

            --- In karmayog@yahoogroups.com, "akalpitap" <akalpitap@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > >
            > > Since I retd.as a class I officer, with 36 gazetted service, and
            > all in
            > > rural development deptt.
            > > I commend your efforts, and I wound suggest that first of all we
            > can start
            > > with one tribal village in Mumbai and then make it role model, for
            > other
            > > villages, and expand it gradually, and later on other NGOs, and
            > Govt. tribal
            > > welfare and rural welfare development deptt. to adopt and follow
            it.

            > > I have always been a visionary, innovator, and very much worked
            for
            > > improvement in systems,methods, organizations.
            > >
            > > My services are totally free and only for Mumbai initially,
            > otherwise, in
            > > specific case, I can work outside too, in few cases.

          • Mukund Gondhalekar
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 1, 2007
              Akalpita, in her message says that the village Shivansai and the
              nearby area was deprived of their basic right bestowed by nature
              because of the construction of Gadheshwar dam which provides water to
              Panvel town. I do not understand her logic. What was the situation
              before construction of the dam? All the water coming from the
              catchment area of the river Gadhi flowed down to the sea through
              Panvel creek. Consequently, the area was dry during the period from
              November to early June every year, even when the dam was not there.
              The inhabitants of Gadheshwar area did not have the resources to
              conserve the water of the river for their own use during the summer.
              In this situation how can you say that they were deprived of their
              basic right bestowed by nature?
              If you extend this logic to Mumbai and plan to rectify the so called
              wrong done to the inhabitants of the catchment areas of Tansa and
              Vaitarna rivers, Mumbai will be starved of water. Are we prepared to
              face this situation.?
              For modern living based on industrial revolution, urbanization is
              absolutely necessary and water for urban areas has to be brought
              from the surrounding rural areas.
              When I say this I do not mean that basic needs like water,
              sanitation, health care, education, etc., should be denied to rural
              population. Rural folks are equal citizens like urbans, of this
              country. They also have every right to have provisions for the basic
              needs. Government should allocate adequate funds for the purpose. It
              is a fact that enough is not being done for rural areas at present
              and the situation should be improved fast. But this does not mean
              that to bring water from nearby rural areas to meet the needs of
              urban areas is a sin.

              --- In karmayog@yahoogroups.com, "V.Varadarajan"
              <raj_varadarajan@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > >
              > > > Since I retd.as a class I officer, with 36 gazetted service, and
              > > all in
              > > > rural development deptt.
              > > > I commend your efforts, and I wound suggest that first of all we
              > > can start
              > > > with one tribal village in Mumbai and then make it role model,
              for
              > > other
              > > > villages, and expand it gradually, and later on other NGOs, and
              > > Govt. tribal
              > > > welfare and rural welfare development deptt. to adopt and follow
              > it.
              > > >
              > > > I have always been a visionary, innovator, and very much worked
              > for
              > > > improvement in systems,methods, organizations.
              > > >
              > > > My services are totally free and only for Mumbai initially,
              > > otherwise, in
              > > > specific case, I can work outside too, in few cases.

            • Om Nath Garg
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 3, 2007
                Do you know the local pradhan/sabhapati/elected village head/Gram sewak or
                Village development officer/Panchayat secretary/Local block development
                officer/tribal development officer if it is a tribal village?
                If yes first of all we talk to each one of them and then fix it up for
                village meeting, taking round of each and every family, what assistance they
                were provided, what they need to economically become self dependent, and
                other community needs, their financial aspects, then we can work in an
                integrated way and may think of making this village role model village for
                Maharashtra.

                Huge amount is received from Govt. of India, and state Govt. various deptts.
                and when people are unaware elected village head, and local
                govt.functionaries, and bureaucracy share it and ignore families living
                below poverty line.

                How many families are there in the village?
                How much time it will take to visit each and every family, and conduct
                village meeting along with all above mentioned govt.and elected
                functionaries, so that really comprehensive village role model plan comes
                out, and then we find ways and means to complete it, with the help of
                benevolent, compassionate businessmen, industrialists.

                Om Nath Garg
                10 Kailas, Peddar Road
                Mumbai 400 026
                Ph: 93229 26792
                E-mail: omnath@...

                This is with reference to your suggestion to develpo one village as a

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 4, 2007
                  Dear Mukund

                  Sorry, I am misunderstod. I am not saying the situation was better
                  before the construction of the dam. Nor am I saying that the water
                  should not be given to the city. All I am saying is, the water
                  problem of villages should also be looked in to, because, the cities
                  get flooded with people because of influx from villages, and that is
                  because of lack of basic aminities, which people get in cities. So,
                  the problems of cities and villages are interlinked.

                  Akalpita

                  --- In karmayog@yahoogroups.com, "Mukund Gondhalekar"
                  <mukundvg1942@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > of
                  > > > the just bygone months.
                  > > >
                  > > > Village women have to go a couple of kilometers on foot in such
                  > > > hostile heat of the day; to fetch at least drinking water if not
                  > > more,
                  > > > pot by pot. It is a vicious circle. No water, so no production,
                  > > hence
                  > > > not enough to live on, so, no strength either economic or
                  physical
                  > > > do labour and improve. The terrain being rocky, only one crop in
                  > > > monsoon is possible in a year. The lands remains barren all
                  > through
                  > > > the remaining part of the year in this area which can not even
                  be
                  > > > declared as drought hit because in monsoon spells like that of
                  > July
                  > > > 26, 2005, there is a flooding around.
                  > > >
                  > > > Can we do something to change the situation?

                • Mukund Gondhalekar
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 7, 2007
                    I agree with you, Akalpita.

                    People lived in villages when agricultre was the main source of
                    income and diverse activities in manufacturing and services sectors
                    had not developed. In the present times, when the share of
                    agriculture in the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) is declining and the
                    shares of Manufacturing and Services Sectors are rising migration of
                    people from villages does take place and has to be accepted. People
                    will move to areas where more remunerative job opportunities are
                    available. We cannot forcibly keep them in villages.

                    However, better infrastructure, education and health care should be
                    made available to those who continue to live in rural areas. Because,
                    all said and done, life is more beautiful in villages.