Re:FCRA - On NGOs doing Conversion work

  • M D Kini
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2007
      Dear Vinay,

      This refers to the mail by Concerned Indian Citizen who loves India and Indians Mr.A.Othniel.

      All religions have tried to civilize man in different times and different climes.All religions believe in the Fatherhood of God and Brotherhood of Man. This has been said in different languages,idioms and jargons. The places of worship may have different architecture and different rituals but all pay homage to the same POWER which animates the world.

      If we look at the history of mankind, we will find certian emphasis by each religion.' Sarve jana sukhino bhavntho' ( Let all people be happy) is the theme of Hindusim. Non-violence is the key-note of Buddhism and Jainism. Charity and compaassion are the core of Christianity. Brotherhood is the essence of Islam. The world which has become a village, thanks to science and technology, requires all these values of life. We have to learn from each other rather than quarrel with each other. No religion is superior to any other religion.Mahatma Gandhi said, " .. our inmost prayer should be that a Hindu should be a better Hindu, a Muslim should be a better Muslim and a Christian a better Christian."( Christian Missions - Their Place in India by M.K.Gandhi,Navjivan Publishing House,Ahmedabad,May,1957,pg.128).

      He has almost derided tribal way of life.If you study their way of life, it is better than the socalled civilized lives in the world. There is eqality not merely between men but also between men and women. Here we are still afraid to give 33% representation to women in legislature. Limba Ram was a great archer. The tribals may be poor in material things but rich in values.All they require is education and skills which our state has failed to provide. Is it ethical to uproot them from their faith and tradition  in exchage for education and medical facilities ?

      Any growth or change in an indiviual or a community has to be organic so that it does not disorient the individual or disrupt the community life. An individual or a community has to have an open mind for new ideas for growth and progress. That is why Mahatma Gandhi asked us to open the windows to let winds from all over the world to blow in the house but, he said, we should refuse to be blown over.

      Human rights, human values and human beings are important, not the way of worship or the place of worship.

      With good wishes,
      M.D.Kini